Gearbox issues - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-09-2017, 09:45 AM Thread Starter

Gearbox issues

Dear all. so i have this nice VN 1700 nomad that i got new in 2015. the bike was running smooth all this time. approx 2 weeks ago i noticed that the engine is sounding different when i shift in 6th gear. i was today to make the check of the bike for 54.000 km and told my mechanic about this . he took the bike for a ride, confirmed my issue. he is saying that is a problem in the gear box all that wheels there and pinions( dont know the exact word in english) are starting to wear down... he said that is not a problem of my driving skill but that this is a common issue on VN models, the quality of the material that is inside of the gearbox is not that good anymore... my question is : is this possible? if yes i am very disappointed...i made an effort to get this new just not to have this kind of problem, i took care of the bike and now i find out that the only solution is to tear he bike apart((( all engine out of the bike, gearbox too, open all to change all that parts in the gearbox...
any of you had this problem? i would really appreciate any advice , opinion, experience with this matter.

PS when i got the bike they say it has 4 year warranty no limit on KM. i put on it V&H exhaust, PC5 and K&N filter, i wonder is with all that i still have warranty on gearbox parts....
here is a picture my mechanic managed to snap today ..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gearbox.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	7.7 KB
ID:	200249  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-09-2017, 12:40 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic LT
Displacement/CC's: 900
Color: Black & Silver
Garage
Hmmmm ..... if you have been doing your oil changes with good quality motorcycle oil on time, and not just abusing the bike to death, I rather seriously doubt "all the parts" of the transmission would "normally" wear out in 54000 km/33,500 miles. And I even more seriously doubt that the "quality of the material inside" is "not that good any more." Japanese manufacturers in general are rather famous for superb metallurgy and machining and for being fanatics about quality control. They have, after all, been making astonishing things out of steel since the days of the samurai. These bikes regularly go 50,000, even 100,000 miles (80,000 to 160,000 km) with few problems, and certainly without major transmission failures. Not that failure is impossible, but I'd say it's quite unlikely given good maintenance.

On the other hand, I have no explanation for the different sound you are hearing. I'm not sure what the picture is supposed to prove -- it's small, but it looks like a view of a gear. So what? Does he have any solid reason for thinking you need a transmission rebuild other than, "It made a funny sound and I have an opinion?" To me, it seems like a doctor saying, "Well, you look a little pale, and I don't like that look in your eye. We're going to do major heart surgery on you."

As to your warranty situation, I'm afraid I'm no expert on Romanian law. In the US, your aftermarket parts would not void your warranty for the transmission, unless they could prove those parts caused the transmission failure, which they can't prove. In Romania, things may be different. If it's covered, and he says it needs rebuilt, I say let them have at it so long as the work is warrantied. If it isn't covered, I'd probably just drive it till it broke, then rebuild it.
silverpugj and magicgrotto like this.

"Don't force it. Get a bigger hammer."
- William Shakespeare
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-09-2017, 01:23 PM
Top Contributor

1. Describe the sound...whine, clatter, etc?
2. is it noisier hot/cold?

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-09-2017, 07:35 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2000 Nomad 1500 fi
Displacement/CC's: 1500
Color: Purplish Black Mica
First, find another mechanic and get a second opinion because I think your mechanic is coming on a bit too strong on "all the gears are bad because of bad metal". Plus he was able to diagnose all of this with only one ride, wow. You also didn't mention whether you have problems in any other gears or is this just a 6th gear problem.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-10-2017, 12:18 AM Thread Starter

It was my bad in explanation, hr said that may be some usage in some pins there not all..the sound is like a whirl. And only in 6th gear. I was asking if anyone had a similar issue not to have more guesses. I will let you know what is it when i open the gearbox and see. And yes is a bike that i ride a lot i dont know if that is called abused.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-10-2017, 08:57 AM
Administrator

Year/Make/Model: 2008 Honda Goldwing Level3
Displacement/CC's: 1800
Color: Pearl White
Garage
See post #3 and answer questions for some help.

Jeff, Twin Cities, MN

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-10-2017, 09:23 AM Thread Starter

The noise is less iritating/loud the high in speed i am..if i switch in 6th at @ 100 km/hr it sounds louder...if i switch at 140 is the same sound but not that loud.. no matter if i just started the bike or drove for 1 hr or more. And only in the 6th gear..The sound is , if i can describe it better, like you know that whirling paper toys that kids use to lift in the wind holding it by a wood stick... Cant think of something better...also my mechanical skills are very low..:/
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-10-2017, 11:58 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic LT
Displacement/CC's: 900
Color: Black & Silver
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckie1976 View Post
The noise is less iritating/loud the high in speed i am..if i switch in 6th at @ 100 km/hr it sounds louder...if i switch at 140 is the same sound but not that loud.. no matter if i just started the bike or drove for 1 hr or more. And only in the 6th gear..The sound is , if i can describe it better, like you know that whirling paper toys that kids use to lift in the wind holding it by a wood stick... Cant think of something better...also my mechanical skills are very low..:/
I think some of us are trying to gently tell you that we suspect you and your mechanic might have the same mechanical skill level.
magicgrotto likes this.

"Don't force it. Get a bigger hammer."
- William Shakespeare
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-10-2017, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

Ok this is getting nowhere...If somebody had this problem please comment, if not please spare me .
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-10-2017, 04:39 PM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckie1976 View Post
Ok this is getting nowhere...If somebody had this problem please comment, if not please spare me .
Consider yourself spared!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode