No Regrets - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-16-2012, 08:09 AM Thread Starter

No Regrets

Update on going to the darkside,love my Harley ulta classic! The Vulcan and the Harley are like night and day! Not trying to bash the Kaw but the ultra is awsome, there is a huge diffrence in the curves havent scraped the boards yet, lots of clearance, crusin on the highways,well this is what the bike was designed for,again awsome. At first I didnt like the idea of seprate oil compartments but now I see, oil changes every 5000mls primary oil every 10,000 to 20,000mls and gear every 20,000mls all depends on how much you ride. Of course all syn oil. But you have the choice of choosing what oils you desire. Im going with amsoil in the crank,belray in the trans and belray in the primary.All the things I thought and all the preconcived ideas I had have been shattered. This bike is awsome! Got the grasshopper backrest,and changed the pipes to Rush (Big Louies)They sound great! I have a cd,mp3,cb,am/fm rig.The antenna reception is great as i can listen to local stations out to 80-100mls. Tires are cheap as my local harley bike shop sells the tires with no charge on install and balance.So far im glad for the switch! And the aftermarket goodies are never ending.I liked the kaw for the touring bike it was but dont miss hearing all the belt noises and dont miss the Kawasaki dealerships ive spent so much time at!And dont miss not having any aftermarket parts for.So this is my final farwell to kaws Anyone thinking of goint to the ultra for a touring bike should be quite taken back I was! Thanks for all your guys feedback on my kaw,and happy touring! Eric
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-16-2012, 09:18 AM
BOTM Winner, December 2013

glad you like the harley.....some people love them...as for me not even if it was given to me....

VN 900 custom "Cheapo-Glide"
Reckless (clone of) fairing
Sony dsx-s100 stereo
Pioneer (for now) 6X9 2-way speakers
Flh hardbags
Mustang "daytripper" seat
Rear lowered 2"
Cobra powerpro HP 2-1
PCIII
Homemade intake with K&N filter
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-16-2012, 10:09 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
........I liked the kaw for the touring bike it was but dont miss hearing all the belt noises......
That's easy enough to solve. Just buy a shaft driven Mean Streak. I have no belt noise. Ha ha.

Seriously, though. Glad you like the new bike.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2003 MeanStreak
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mods so far - Tangerine paint, debadged, Cobra exhaust, amber tank lights.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-16-2012, 11:49 AM
Lifetime Premium

Send a message via Skype™ to IsAnOzzie
Ride what you like, thats the bottom line.
If I were to buy an American bike it would a Victory, or Polaris's Indian.

Do or do not, there is no try. YODA
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-16-2012, 12:30 PM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Never met or rode a motorcycle I did not like. But there are a lot of them I will not own.

As long as you ride.... that is all that matters. I rode HD for a living 8,10,12 hours a day depending on the shift hours at the time. I did Motors my full 20 year career.

That is why I will ever not own one. Nothing wrong with them, I do not want one. I was even offered to buy the one I had when I retired as it was due to be replaced for $3,500, it was 3 years old. I told them no thanks.... already had a good road scoot (a Venture at the time). And with only 60k miles on it, the HD was using about 1/2 qt oil between the 3k oil changes we did. My Venture with 200k did not use a drop of oil.

Regardless of what you have been told, do not let the tranny and primary oil go more than 6k miles if you want it to last a long time. And change the engine oil ever 3k.......... but you probably do not ride yours any way near like I did those Police HD's, all out... all day long........ After 3k miles the engine oil was nasty....... So was the primary oil.... Tranny not as bad.

Bubba in TX

2011 Voyager "Betty Clunker"

A bad day on a motorcycle is better than a good day in a car

Some people collect T-shirts
I actually ride

Voyager 1700 owners...
WRAP your pipes....
You will be glad you did...

U.S.A.F. Retired

Nye County Nevada
Motor Officer Retired
Blue Knights Texas 43
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-16-2012, 01:11 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by big worm View Post
glad you like the harley.....some people love them...as for me not even if it was given to me....
Aw shoot! I have one I was going to send up there to you.....

Ron in Cincinnati

Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.
.........Bob Seger
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-16-2012, 02:09 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
More cornering clearance = less leg room. Handlebar mounted fairing vs Frame mouned fairing. How much more did you pay for the HD.

I've test rode the Ultra Classic, Road King, and Road Glide Ultra. Nice bikes, but by the time I optioned them the way I wanted I can pay for two of my Kawasaki's.

I hate to say it but after getting the Concours 1400, I'm not sure if my next touring bike will be a V-twin. Love my Mean Streak and have no plans to part with it, but I think my next touring bike will be in the Adventure tour lineup. Possibly a Tiger 1250 Adventure.

2010 Vulcan Voyager 1700 ABS, 2007 Vulcan Mean Streak 1600
2012 Concours 1400, 2011 Versys 650, 2012 KLX250S

see my garage for list of accessories
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-16-2012, 03:19 PM

well ron send er on up....ill just sell it and buy a 1300 v-star....lol....already a 2007 roadking sittin in the driveway for sale....and hey if there is one thing better than 1 lawn ornamentits 2 of em..lol......oh roadking is neighbours bike

Sony dsx-s100 stereo
Flh hardbags
Rear lowered 2"
Cobra powerpro HP 2-1
PCIII
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-16-2012, 03:30 PM
Top Contributor

Harley's are great if you're a midget. Anyone 6' or taller will be hurting putting any miles on one. I rented a Street Glide last month and put 400 miles on it in one day. What I learned;
1. Stock seat sucks tailbone pain and numbness is insane on rides longer than 30 minutes.

2. Shorty windshield buffets so bad (with full helmet) at anything over idle.

3. Short wheelbase makes it so easy to handle but gave me leg cramps after 1 hour in saddle. 6'1"

4. Shakes like crazy at low speeds cancelling out the easy handling as you're annoyed with the thing shaking apart.

After renting the bike I realized that dropping 20 large on that thing that needed Stage 1 mods, new windshield, new seat, is just dumb. I don't take loans out on motor vehicles, that's what poor people who like to pay interest for crap they don't need do. I considered it with the Harley.... until I drove it and woke up. Long live the Classic!!! It's paid for and I get the same amount of fun out of it. Plus I'm not cramped!!
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-16-2012, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsAnOzzie View Post
Ride what you like, thats the bottom line.
If I were to buy an American bike it would a Victory, or Polaris's Indian.
sooo if you were going to buy american it would be a polaris or maybe a polaris...lol

Sony dsx-s100 stereo
Flh hardbags
Rear lowered 2"
Cobra powerpro HP 2-1
PCIII
Sponsored Links
Advertisement