Extend my windscreen? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-02-2017, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Alberta, Canada
Year/Make/Model: 2013 Kawasaki 1700 Voyager
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Blue/Black
Gender: Male
Posts: 69
Extend my windscreen?

Hi all, I have a 2013 Voyager that I bought used. It came with a wndscreen way to high, I was looking through it rather than over it. I have it cut and sanded down to an optimal height. I now look over it comfortably and it protects me from the wind. However, at highway speeds I get this annoying buffeting right at the top of my helmet. Is not extreme but t is there to annoy.
Has anyone else had this experience and what did you do? I'm thinking that some kind of adjustable windscreen extension is what's needed, but maybe there is a simpler and cheaper solution out there.
I don't want to buy a new windscreen if possible.
Please send me your suggestions.
Thanks
schlappy95 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-02-2017, 07:46 PM
Top Contributor
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,159
Garage
Graybush is offline  
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-02-2017, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Alberta, Canada
Year/Make/Model: 2013 Kawasaki 1700 Voyager
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Blue/Black
Gender: Male
Posts: 69
Ya, I've see the MRA one but it looks like it's more for adventure or sport bikes. The Voyager screen is wider, I don't know if one of these would look silly on it.
schlappy95 is offline  
 
post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-02-2017, 10:03 PM
Top Contributor
 
dlars's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 580
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by schlappy95 View Post
Hi all, I have a 2013 Voyager that I bought used. It came with a wndscreen way to high, I was looking through it rather than over it. I have it cut and sanded down to an optimal height. I now look over it comfortably and it protects me from the wind. However, at highway speeds I get this annoying buffeting right at the top of my helmet. Is not extreme but t is there to annoy.
Has anyone else had this experience and what did you do? I'm thinking that some kind of adjustable windscreen extension is what's needed, but maybe there is a simpler and cheaper solution out there.
I don't want to buy a new windscreen if possible.
Please send me your suggestions.
Thanks
It sounds like you may have cut it down a bit too far. I dont know which windshield your bike came with but mine has the stock shield which is pretty high. I am 6'6" and get no buffeting at all

2012 Kawasaki Voyager
Thunder Manufacturing Round Air Kit
Dynojet PCV Fuel Processor
Dynojet AT-300 Autotune Module
Freedom Performance True Dual's (racing Baffles)
Kuryakyn Offset Highway Pegs
Michellin Commander ll's Front & Back
RacnRay's Throttle Grip
iPod Connector
Manual Fan Switch
dlars is offline  
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 12:30 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Alberta, Canada
Year/Make/Model: 2013 Kawasaki 1700 Voyager
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Blue/Black
Gender: Male
Posts: 69
Ya, I may have. I was told and read in many places, that I shouldn't be looking through the windscreen but just over it. After watching many videos etc I trimmed it off. Now, I'm wondering if there's anything I can do or am I gonna have to buy a new windscreen?

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk
schlappy95 is offline  
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 01:56 AM
Peg
Top Contributor
 
Peg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: West Coast, North Island, New Zealand
Posts: 636
Garage
I didn't like the cut-down OEM screen for the same reason (buffeting). My solution was a 12" Windvest , which has a "recurve" top edge to push the air up higher over your head. Realistically, unless you want to just "make do", there are no other options but a new screen. Clearview is also a popular choice, but I preferred the square shape of the Windvest.

Paul (Peg) Elliott
New Plymouth, NZ. '10 Voyager 1700
'02 Nomad 1500(sold) '97 VN800B (sold)
2 Honda's, 2 Suzuki's, 1 Yamaha (all dead)
Peg is offline  
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 07:33 AM
Top Contributor
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by schlappy95 View Post
Ya, I may have. I was told and read in many places, that I shouldn't be looking through the windscreen but just over it. After watching many videos etc I trimmed it off. Now, I'm wondering if there's anything I can do or am I gonna have to buy a new windscreen?

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk
Ihave the original takoff from my 09Voyager sitting behind a door here my office if you wantit on the cheap.

Gary

SW Michigan

2009 Kawasaki Voyager
GGB6259 is offline  
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 08:35 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Alberta, Canada
Year/Make/Model: 2013 Kawasaki 1700 Voyager
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Blue/Black
Gender: Male
Posts: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGB6259 View Post
Ihave the original takoff from my 09Voyager sitting behind a door here my office if you wantit on the cheap.
Hey ya, I'd be interested. How much and are you in the US or Canada? Do you think it could go in the post?

Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk
schlappy95 is offline  
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 08:41 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Alberta, Canada
Year/Make/Model: 2013 Kawasaki 1700 Voyager
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Blue/Black
Gender: Male
Posts: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGB6259 View Post
Ihave the original takoff from my 09Voyager sitting behind a door here my office if you wantit on the cheap.
I would think that the '09 windscreen would be the same as on my 2013, wouldn't you?

Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk
schlappy95 is offline  
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 10:08 AM
Top Contributor
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by schlappy95 View Post
Hey ya, I'd be interested. How much and are you in the US or Canada? Do you think it could go in the post?

Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk
Located US, Southwest Michigan... Shipping cost including packaging plus $25 or ONE BILLION DOLLARs...

Gary

SW Michigan

2009 Kawasaki Voyager
GGB6259 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Canadian Riders... Chance to extend KPP otter Vulcan 1700 0 05-27-2018 11:44 AM
Do I extend my windscreen, if so, how? schlappy95 General Vulcan Talk 0 08-02-2017 09:20 PM
extend passenger floor boards lifetooshort Vulcan 1700 4 03-23-2013 10:46 AM
Extend the lower vent adjusters raw6464 Vulcan 1700 4 06-18-2012 05:39 AM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome