Another huge thumbs up for Ivan's tune - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-21-2017, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: 2009 Vulcan Nomad
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Maroon/Gold
Another huge thumbs up for Ivan's tune

I bit the bullet this week and sent my ECU to Ivan to have it reflashed. The service was great. I sent it in on Monday morning and they got it on Wed morning. They may have had the ECU for an hour before I got a call saying it was ready and asking how I wanted it shipped back. I opted for 2 day delivery each way because it was going to be $80 for next day. The ECU was back today before lunch.

I also installed a roaring toys straight 8 air intake so I could get the most out of the tune. Installing that was easier than I planned and only took 45 min. The install on the ECU is so easy its not worth mentioning.

The only issue I ran into was after getting everything in and going. I started the bike exactly per Ivan's instructions. Afterward the bike kept a code 24, which has something to do with the speed sensor. I tried the startup procedure again and still had the code 24. I was getting a little worried, but as soon as I put the bike in gear and moved a foot it cleared and everything was back to normal.

I only had enough time for an hour test ride and put about 60 miles on the bike. It runs GREAT. Much more power and its smoother than before. Before my 6th gear was only usable on flat straight roads over 75MPH, anything slower or any hills and I had to stay pretty deep in the throttle to keep it at speed. Now it feels more like 5th. It doesn't have gobs of power in 6th but I can easily accelerate up hills that I was at 3/4 throttle just to keep from slowing down.

So far I'm very happy with the upgrades to the bike.
auwing1978 and glestimator like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-21-2017, 10:36 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2013 Kawasaki Voyager
Displacement/CC's: 1700f
Color: Metallic Nocturne Blue / Black Pearl
It definitely makes all the difference in the world. It's like a whole new motorcycle. I'm glad it made the move too.
glestimator likes this.

Ride Safe -- Shoot Straight -- Keep Your Powder Dry

LIFE IS GOOD !!!
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-22-2017, 10:34 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2016 Voyager 1700 ABS
Color: Black-Silver
Send a message via AIM to auwing1978 Send a message via MSN to auwing1978
Yeah....glad I did not wait to do mine. A brand new and much improved performing bike.

Your comment on OD/6th gear is spot on. Prior to Ivanization, I only used OD when RPM's something like 2400-2500....and if I had to pass someone etc., I would downshift to get some traction! Post-Ivan, I can use the cruise in OD down to 2000 RPM comfortably.......and just turn the throttle w/o downshifting if I need to pass/speed up. Gas mileage on the highway now always 40 to 43 MPG. I even got 40 riding two up a few weeks ago.

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. HST

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-22-2017, 06:14 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2011 Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad
Color: Metallic blue/silver
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Biker Dash
I met another Ivanized Vulcan owner today. He was on a 2012 Vaquero. He swears by it as much as I do.

2011 1700 Nomad -- "Princess Celestia"
2003 1500 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 5.9 "Nightmare Moon"
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-22-2017, 07:48 PM Thread Starter

I'm a believer now.

I rode for another 50 or so miles after work today. After about 120 miles the MPG has gone from 32 to leveling out about 37.6. That's with an equal mix of town and highway riding. The 6th gear power is still what impresses me the most.

The exhaust seems a bit louder also, which is to be expected with the jump in power. Also, NO popping on decel. Mine wasn't as bad as some I've heard, but after the V&H slip on's it popped most every time I let off the throttle. Not a single pop now, and I was trying my best to make it pop.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-22-2017, 08:03 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2013 Kawasaki 1700 Voyager
Color: Blue/Black
I don't have after market pipes nor do I want to get some. Can I use the flash without after market pipes?
Also, I'm in Canada, where do I find info about this Ivan etc and how do I get in touch with him?
Thanks
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-22-2017, 09:06 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by schlappy95 View Post
I don't have after market pipes nor do I want to get some. Can I use the flash without after market pipes?
Also, I'm in Canada, where do I find info about this Ivan etc and how do I get in touch with him?
Thanks
Here you go:

Ivan's Performance Products

2012 Kawasaki Voyager
Thunder Manufacturing Round Air Kit
Dynojet PCV Fuel Processor
Dynojet AT-300 Autotune Module
Freedom Performance True Dual's (racing Baffles)
Kuryakyn Offset Highway Pegs
Michellin Commander ll's Front & Back
RacnRay's Throttle Grip
iPod Connector
Manual Fan Switch
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-22-2017, 09:23 PM

Thanks very much for the info, I am gonna call on Monday. I see you're also from Alberta. I can't believe how many people I have seen on here from Alberta. We should have a Vulcan rally someday.
How do you like your ECU? From looking at his site I figure it would cost about $500 or $600 Canadian to get it done. Do you feel it was worth it? Have you had any negative side effects from it?
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-22-2017, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by schlappy95 View Post
Thanks very much for the info, I am gonna call on Monday. I see you're also from Alberta. I can't believe how many people I have seen on here from Alberta. We should have a Vulcan rally someday.
How do you like your ECU? From looking at his site I figure it would cost about $500 or $600 Canadian to get it done. Do you feel it was worth it? Have you had any negative side effects from it?
I think its totally worth it. No negative effects for me, but I cant speak for the long term.

With all the fixes and tweaks that come with the tune, I think even on a stock bike it would be worth it. Everything I've read says these bikes are tuned way down from the factory for emission standards, etc. There's a lot of room for improvement. When you send your ECU in, there's a paper you print and fill out and give your info on the bike, mods etc. They use this to tune your ECU for whatever mods you have.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-22-2017, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_7687 View Post
I think its totally worth it. No negative effects for me, but I cant speak for the long term.

With all the fixes and tweaks that come with the tune, I think even on a stock bike it would be worth it. Everything I've read says these bikes are tuned way down from the factory for emission standards, etc. There's a lot of room for improvement. When you send your ECU in, there's a paper you print and fill out and give your info on the bike, mods etc. They use this to tune your ECU for whatever mods you have.
Well, I thank you for starting this post. I'm new to this site, heard a bit about Ivans "magic" but didn't pay too much attention cause I thought, who would want to supe up a tour bike. Since reading your post, I read other older posts and see there is a lot of benefit to it.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode