Need Helpful Feedback Before Buying Clearview Shield - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-16-2017, 10:26 PM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: 2016 Vulcan Vaquero
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: White
Garage
Need Helpful Feedback Before Buying Clearview Shield

I'm considering ordering a Clearview Shield for my 2016 Vaquero. My bike has the stock seat, which I'm happy with.

I'm uncertain about which size to order. The web site says a Small is 16.5 inches in vertical height, but I don't know if that will be too tall or too short. Ideally I want to be able to see over it by about 2 inches. I'm six feet tall.

Anyone else with the same bike buy a Clearview? What size did you get and how easy was the install?

Any feedback would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-17-2017, 08:56 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2009 Voyager 1700
The website states how to measure the height of the windshield from your ignition switch. I suggest you look at it again as you can determine exactly where the windshield top end will be. Only you can decide where you want it as we don't know where your eyes sit compared to it but at 6 feet you are tall...
Shade125 likes this.

"If you want to feel smart, get stupid freinds..."
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-17-2017, 10:12 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2012 Vulcan Voyager
Color: Pearl White/ Beige
Garage
I'm 6' tall and I have a mustang seat on my Voyager. I bought a 12" Klock Werks shield and I look just over the top edge. I could stand for it to be a little lower.
Shade125 likes this.

2012 1700 Voyager
Cobra Slip Ons
Kuryakyn Grips
Kuryakyn Highway Pegs
Klock Werks Windshield
Mustang Seat with Driver Backrest
Kenwood Stereo
Soundstream Amp
Engineered adapters with 6-1/2"Polk Audio Front Speakers
Kawasaki Rear Speaker Pods with Polk Audio 5-1/4" Speakers
Ivan's Flash

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-19-2017, 05:02 AM

I'm 6'2", mostly just legs though. I also have a mustang seat & ordered a medium Clearview w vent assy. I like to still look over the sheild not thru it..

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-19-2017, 10:46 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
I'm 5'8" and just got my Clearview monday for my Voyager. I also have my stock seat, but its shaved down about an inch lower. With the medium windshield, its right at eye level for me. I'm confused on you saying the small is 16.5" because I ordered the medium and its 14.5", the large is said to be 16.5" and the small is 12.5" I believe. What bike are you refferring to, Nomad maybe?

2005 800 classic
2012 Voyager ABS
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-19-2017, 06:15 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick View Post
I'm 5'8" and just got my Clearview monday for my Voyager. I also have my stock seat, but its shaved down about an inch lower. With the medium windshield, its right at eye level for me. I'm confused on you saying the small is 16.5" because I ordered the medium and its 14.5", the large is said to be 16.5" and the small is 12.5" I believe. What bike are you refferring to, Nomad maybe?
I'm talking about the Vaquero. This is what it says on the web site:

Small 13 1/4" length 16 1/2" vertical
Medium 14 3/4" length 17 1/2" vertical
Large 16 1/4" length 18 1/2" vertical
XL 17 1/2" length 19 1/2" vertical

https://www.clearviewshields.com/mot...-1700-vaquero/
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-19-2017, 10:40 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade125 View Post
I'm talking about the Vaquero. This is what it says on the web site:

Small 13 1/4" length 16 1/2" vertical
Medium 14 3/4" length 17 1/2" vertical
Large 16 1/4" length 18 1/2" vertical
XL 17 1/2" length 19 1/2" vertical

https://www.clearviewshields.com/mot...-1700-vaquero/
The 16 1/2" for the small is the measurement up from the ignition switch, but the windshield itself is 13 1/4" high. I got the medium which is 17 1/2" up from the ignition switch, but windshield is 14 3/4" tall.
Shade125 likes this.

2005 800 classic
2012 Voyager ABS
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-20-2017, 05:33 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick View Post
The 16 1/2" for the small is the measurement up from the ignition switch, but the windshield itself is 13 1/4" high. I got the medium which is 17 1/2" up from the ignition switch, but windshield is 14 3/4" tall.
Thanks for your feedback Rick
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-29-2017, 09:20 AM Thread Starter

Garage
After reading many reviews and weighing all options, I changed my mind about getting a Clearview Shield. I ordered a Kawasaki 12" on Amazon and got it in three days. It came with all the mounting hardware.

I installed it easily when it arrived and went for a long ride to evaluate it. I'm somewhat satisfied with it, but I think it's still too short for me.

I like how it cut down on a lot of wind noise and that I can hear the stereo better, even on the highway going over 70 mph. It's tall enough for me to see over unobstructed, but I still think it's too short. I think a 14" or 16" would be a better fit for me. Again I'm six feet tall and on the Vaquero with stock seat.

The problem with ordering the 14" is that Kawasaki sells the 14" for cheaper, but they do not include the mounting hardware: nuts, washers, rubber gasket, and chrome trim. On their web site it says those parts have to be purchased through a dealership, and from what I've read it can get expensive. I think it's a joke that they don't just include everything needed to install with the purchase, like they do with the 12".

So I'm debating whether to return the 12" or keep it. I'm leaning towards keeping it. It's better than the stock shield, cheaper and easier to buy than the 14" or 16", and I have it now, unlike having to wait for the Clearview and gamble on their unreliable customer service (according to several reviews I read).

Oh well
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 07:54 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2015 Vulcan Vaquero
Color: Candy Lime Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade125 View Post
After reading many reviews and weighing all options, I changed my mind about getting a Clearview Shield. I ordered a Kawasaki 12" on Amazon and got it in three days. It came with all the mounting hardware.

I installed it easily when it arrived and went for a long ride to evaluate it. I'm somewhat satisfied with it, but I think it's still too short for me.

I like how it cut down on a lot of wind noise and that I can hear the stereo better, even on the highway going over 70 mph. It's tall enough for me to see over unobstructed, but I still think it's too short. I think a 14" or 16" would be a better fit for me. Again I'm six feet tall and on the Vaquero with stock seat.

The problem with ordering the 14" is that Kawasaki sells the 14" for cheaper, but they do not include the mounting hardware: nuts, washers, rubber gasket, and chrome trim. On their web site it says those parts have to be purchased through a dealership, and from what I've read it can get expensive. I think it's a joke that they don't just include everything needed to install with the purchase, like they do with the 12".

So I'm debating whether to return the 12" or keep it. I'm leaning towards keeping it. It's better than the stock shield, cheaper and easier to buy than the 14" or 16", and I have it now, unlike having to wait for the Clearview and gamble on their unreliable customer service (according to several reviews I read).

Oh well
I have a Vaquero with Mustang seat. I'm about 5'11 and bought the large Clearview with vent. It replaced a 16" Kawasaki shield. My line of sight is a couple inches above the shield. I like it much better than the Kawi shield. The recurve really reflects the wind and bugs up over my helmet. Clearview told me I didn't need they metal trim piece. I'm assuming that's because the Clearview shield is much thicker. It took about a month to get it, but other than that the service was great. My buddy ended up getting the same one for his Voyager and he's very happy with it. I have the Kawasaki shield if you're interested... however I'm in Ontario, Canada. I don't have the metal trim for it either...I actually had the short black shield installed in front of the tall shield.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

-------------------------------------
2015 Candy Lime Green Vaquero
Ivan's ECU Flash (coming real soon)
V&H Twin Slash cut exhaust
K&N Filter
14" Windshield
Kuryakyn black Kinetic grips with throttle boss
Mustang touring seat with backrest
Passenger Floorboards
Kuryakyn Tour-tech highway peg mounts with trident dually pegs
Auxiliary lights
MP3 Kit
DC input

Last edited by MorganB; 08-03-2017 at 07:59 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode