1Likes
  • 1 Post By schlappy95

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-15-2017, 08:18 PM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: 2013 Kawasaki 1700 Voyager
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Blue/Black
Bluetooth Reciever for my Voyager

Hey all, I just recently made an addition to my 2013 Voyager and I thought I would share it.
I have an android phone and I have spotify. I wanted to be able to play tunes from it when I'm riding. After considering many different options (going Iphone wasn't one of them) I decided to go with a Bluetooth receiver. I bought from Ebay an MTX Audio MUDBTRC Bluetooth Receiver.
It is made for boats and motorcycles, so they say it is waterproof, which so far so good. It comes with brackets etc to mount it surface, flush or on the handlebars. I went with handlebars.
The wiring is very basic, the hardest part was finding the power points in the fairing to power the thing. With advice from this site I removed the left storage compartment, the left speaker and the headlight. Surprisingly this was not that difficult. It is a bit difficult to find the connectors but I did. They are dual bullet connectors (yellow / black is negative) tucked up and to the right if you are looking in the fairing from where the headlight should be. I purchased bullet style male connectors for the power. I bought flexible wire loom and heat shrink from a store we have, called Princess Auto. Also using info from this site I figured out which wire was what for the AUX Input on the stereo. I soldered and heat shrunk those connections and tucked all the cables from the left compartment back in the fairing and plugged the hole. I now have another compartment with nothing in it.
The Bluetooth receiver connected to my phone so easily and will only connect to play media. I like this cause I wanted to use my helmet headset for hand-free calls, I didn't want my phone calls going through the speakers. It all works awesome, I can adjust volume on the phone as well as the stereo volume and I can select songs forward and backward as well as pause the music.
I am very happy with my purchase and thought i would share it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170711_182038355 (800x600).jpg
Views:	401
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	197450   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170711_182149536 (600x800).jpg
Views:	329
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	197458  

Last edited by schlappy95; 07-15-2017 at 08:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-16-2017, 08:33 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2016 Vulcan Vaquero
Color: Pearl white
I wish you had taken pictures of what you did inside the bike. I am a brand new owner and fairly handy myself but i am kind of terrified to take these fairings apart not really knowing what I am looking for.
I really want to integrate somekind of Bluetooth somehow.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-16-2017, 07:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by trakaill View Post
I wish you had taken pictures of what you did inside the bike. I am a brand new owner and fairly handy myself but i am kind of terrified to take these fairings apart not really knowing what I am looking for.
I really want to integrate somekind of Bluetooth somehow.
Unfortunately I didn't think to do that. I did take a photo of the power connectors (from the headlight opening) with my volt meter probes in them so I could reference which was positive and negative (attached).
Its very easy to take the compartment and speaker out. Just need a Philips screwdriver and an Allen wrench. Just remove the screws you see and there you go. To get the chrome trim off the headlight, there is a screw on the bottom that you remove with a Philips screw driver. Then carefully pop off the top of the chrome trim. It has two posts that pressure fit into two rubber grommets.
Once that is off you undo some bolts around the light with a small wrench. The light then comes out and you disconnect the connector on the back.
Now you can see inside the faring. As my photo shows from the headlight hole, in the top right corner you should find the two connectors. You have to hunt for a while but you should find them. For some reason they didn't give them much slack so it is a bit cumbersome to connect but it is possible. The silver thing in the upper corner, in the photo, is the radio, just thought I'd point that out as a bit of a reference point.
Hope that helps.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Power Connectors (600x800).jpg
Views:	213
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	197586  
silverpugj likes this.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-19-2017, 03:57 AM

Great job!!!! Thanks for the info!!!!

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-19-2017, 07:18 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2016 Vaquero
Color: White
Nice work! and thanks for sharing. I'm from Alberta as well and like trakaill, I am hesitant to remove anything fairing related. Still in the honeymoon period with her (1800km). Maybe next year I'll rip things apart. I just ordered some power point stuff; cables for GPS, etc. and am very nervous about installing that. Even though I know I can get power from "right there" behind the fairing, I am still going to just use the exposed AUX power under the seat I think.

My plan is to go wired only using the COMM/Audio builtin to the bike. Everyone is wanting to go BT and here I am trying to get away from BT - lol

Last edited by aWanderer; 07-19-2017 at 07:25 AM.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-19-2017, 10:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aWanderer View Post
Nice work! and thanks for sharing. I'm from Alberta as well and like trakaill, I am hesitant to remove anything fairing related. Still in the honeymoon period with her (1800km). Maybe next year I'll rip things apart. I just ordered some power point stuff; cables for GPS, etc. and am very nervous about installing that. Even though I know I can get power from "right there" behind the fairing, I am still going to just use the exposed AUX power under the seat I think.

My plan is to go wired only using the COMM/Audio builtin to the bike. Everyone is wanting to go BT and here I am trying to get away from BT - lol
Well, to each their own. That's what I like about these bikes, you got options. 2016 Vaquero, nice bike, enjoy!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-20-2017, 02:13 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2016 Vulcan Vaquero
Color: Pearl white
Quote:
Originally Posted by schlappy95 View Post
Well, to each their own. That's what I like about these bikes, you got options. 2016 Vaquero, nice bike, enjoy!
One question. What gauge connectors did you use/need for this I really like this setup.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-21-2017, 06:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by trakaill View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by schlappy95 View Post
One question. What gauge connectors did you use/need for this I really like this setup.
They are bullet type connectors (see attached). They snap right in to the connectors on the bike. Two will snap into each one, for powering more than one thing I guess. The package says 16 to 14 AWG, 0.157" diameter.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20170721_173638_1500680220414.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	198226  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode