Speedo problem - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: 2012 Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Silver/Red
Garage
Speedo problem

Speedo seems to register the correct mph but whenever I start my bike the speedo needle's starting position is just a little further counterclockwise! Say if I start my bike and ride, and at a stop my needle shows 0. Next time I get on to ride it will be a little to the right of 0. And every time I start her up it'll be a little further right, so in example, today my stationary needle reading is at 110mph and when I get off, start her back up and ride, my new stationary reading might be 108mph. And so on and on. I've gone full circle and more. Is there a fix or will the calibrator kits fix this?

Also, not sure if this is related but it might be: I bought the bike used (4750 miles on it) and this has been going on from the git go but my cruise control doesn't engage. It'll turn on, light shows on, but when I try to set a speed, nothing.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-10-2017, 11:43 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
The speed sensor is on the left right behind the rear cylinder. It has a plug there, make sure its plugged in good. may try wiggling it and watching to see if the needle moves around any. Sounds like a bad connection.

2005 800 classic
2012 Voyager ABS
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-11-2017, 03:22 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks Rick. I also had a conversation with a tech at 12oclocklabs, the people who make the aftermarket speedo calibrator. He's never heard of what I'm experiencing. Suggested it might be in the mechanics of the speedo head itself, loose indicator needle, etc. I'll check what you've suggested also. It's just a minor nuisance as we all have a pretty good sense of what 45mph or 60mph feels like, or just keep up with surrounding traffic. The only reason I wanted to maybe address it is that this fall I'm planning on taking some longer-ish weekend/camping rides through the Blue Ridge/NC,SC area and I don't wanna fall prey to any local speed traps if I can help it. I'm sure not going to throw $700 dollars at it (price for OEM speedo assy). Thanks for your suggestion.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-11-2017, 08:42 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
Its funny you mentioned the 12oclocklabs. I have one of their calibrators. I ended up unhooking it because I was getting a stumble at low rpms when I had it connected and could not find any reason for it. Once I unhooked it, the stumble went away. I think it was causing a timing issue at the lower rpms, the computer not advancing the timing enough or something because it thought the bike was going slower than it really was or something. Anyway, the stumble went away and I picked up another mpg or 2 after unhooking it. I still have it on the bike, just not connected. I'm in the Dalton Ga./Chattanooga Tn area if you want to detour this way on your trip to the Blue Ridge area, its yours if you want it. I did not have this problem when I had it set at around 5.5% correction, but when I reset it to about 2.7% for the tire I had at the time is when it happened. My bike at the time had a Thunder intake, drilled baffles, and a Gman fuel controller.

2005 800 classic
2012 Voyager ABS
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-11-2017, 12:04 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I appreciate the offer but the calibrator is useless unless I fix this problem first and I'm pretty sure it's inside the speedo itself so I'm just gonna live with it.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-13-2017, 07:09 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2012 Vulcan Voyager
Color: Pearl White/ Beige
Garage
Won't take too many tickets to get to $700. Might be cheaper to fix it

2012 1700 Voyager
Cobra Slip Ons
Kuryakyn Grips
Kuryakyn Highway Pegs
Klock Werks Windshield
Mustang Seat with Driver Backrest
Kenwood Stereo
Soundstream Amp
Engineered adapters with 6-1/2"Polk Audio Front Speakers
Kawasaki Rear Speaker Pods with Polk Audio 5-1/4" Speakers
Ivan's Flash
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-15-2017, 08:54 PM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Or just mount a GPS and use it's MPH display to show your actual speed. It is more accurate than the scoot speedo. Thats what I use.I have a hand held radar unit. My Garmin GPS is right on with the radar gun, the speedo not even close.

Bubba in TX

2011 Voyager "Betty Clunker"

A bad day on a motorcycle is better than a good day in a car

Some people collect T-shirts
I actually ride

Voyager 1700 owners...
WRAP your pipes....
You will be glad you did...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
U.S.A.F. Retired

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Nye County Nevada
Motor Officer Retired
Blue Knights Texas 43
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode