Tire Pressure for Heavyweights... - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-03-2017, 02:18 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Tire Pressure for Heavyweights...

I put Michelin Commander II on the front and last year. I put the rear on first and did not notice a difference at all but after putting the Michelin on the front at the end of last year my bike doesn't seem to handle a well as it did on the stock front tire and I don't feel as confident on it now. I've been running 28/40 tire pressure and it just doesn't feel as smooth nor as responsive in the handling.

I immediately noticed it at slow speeds, for instance when I go to my sister's house I go to the end of the block and turn around to park in front of her house and when I am pulling the U turn at slow speeds it feels just short of wobbly and this is the same U turn I've made many times over previously with no issue. I checked the pressure last week and it was a little low so I pumped them up to 28/40 like the book says and it felt a little better but then I just rode it today for a short while and it is hard to put my finger on it but I just don't feel as confident on it as I did on the stock tires. I push the handle bars to counter steer and I just don't feel the response that I think I should and so I basically just putt along with very little lean. I just did a search and I see some people are running 36-40 in the front and I think I may try that and I suspect that this may be even more needed since I weigh over 300 lbs. What say you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-03-2017, 09:22 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2015 Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700cc
Color: metalic carbon grey
Garage
I also have commander II tires front and back on my vaquero. I know the book states to run 28 lbs for air pressure but thats too low. when I had the front one installed at the dealer they set the air at 42 psi. while riding home it felt like the tire was too hard and I could feel every bump in the road so I pulled over and lowered it to 38psi. Ive kept it there since and the bike handles well. I run with 40 psi rear also. I weigh 235 and have 20 psi in the rear shocks as well.

2015 vaquero ABS SE {carbon grey}
12in. windshield
k&n air filter
freedom performance true duals
ivans ecu flash
kuryakin longhorn cruise pegs
sagebrush saddlebag chaps
oem aux lights
grasshoper driver backrest
black isso grips
chucksters risers
isso grip helmet locks
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-03-2017, 09:26 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
I am about 240 lbs and I run the Michelin's pretty close to the recommended pressure that's on the tire. I have never had an issue with them, they feel great. Those tires are good for quite a bit more weight as compared to the stock tires (in Canada they are Bridgestone Exedra's). The Michelin's have an 81H rating for the rear and 73H for the front. Here is a good site for speed and weight ratings according to the numbers on your tires: Motorcycle Tire Size Conversion, Speed Ratings, Load Ratings Chart - webBikeWorld

According to that, the Michelin rear tires are rated for 1019 lbs and the front is rated for 805 lbs which is a lot. The stock Bridgestone Exedra's rear are rated 75H (853 lbs) and front are 67H (677 lbs)

2012 Kawasaki Voyager
Thunder Manufacturing Round Air Kit
Dynojet PCV Fuel Processor
Dynojet AT-300 Autotune Module
Freedom Performance True Dual's (racing Baffles)
Kuryakyn Offset Highway Pegs
Michellin Commander ll's Front & Back
RacnRay's Throttle Grip
iPod Connector
Manual Fan Switch

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-03-2017, 12:46 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2000 Nomad 1500 fi
Displacement/CC's: 1500
Color: Purplish Black Mica
You are way under pressure on the front tire. First off, the "book" you are talking about is based on a single rider weighing 150 lbs. So all the settings are incorrect for your weight. I would first go to no lower than 38 psi in the front tire and pump the rear to 42 psi. Then I would get a air shock pump (if you don't already have one), and pump your rear shocks to 36 psi each side. Your ride performance and handling will greatly improve. You will enjoy riding much better.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-03-2017, 03:39 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2010 NOMAD
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Black/titanium
Garage
Agree w Retro,28 is way to,,squishy,,,run 32 and 38 w 20lb in shocks
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-03-2017, 10:18 PM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2010 Kawasaki Voyager
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Red/Black
Garage
I'm 275 lbs. I keep my tires at 32/38.

Installed:
RAM mount for TomTom Rider 400 (with anti theft module)
6000k LED Headlight & Spots; Kisan Headlight Modulator (works with LEDs),
__Brake Light Modulator, LED License Plate Holder
Longer Kickstand
Dobeck EJK 3.0
Lucky Mirror Extenders
Misc. RAM Mounts for Cup Holder, SPOT, Phone, etc.
Chuckster BAK, Trailer Hitch and Cooler Rack
Wiring for Trailer
Ray's Throttle Mod
Things to do:
Drilling Baffle Plates (Maybe)
Paint HF Tag Along Trailer to Match Bike

LET'S RIDE
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-04-2017, 02:35 PM
Lifetime Premium

Have a customer with a 2011 Vaq that called me bout his rear C2 chunking. I of course told him to bring the skoot in, and asked about tire pressures and how often he checked them. He quoted me the pressures and said he checked pressure often.

Skoot comes in and I examine the tire. BIG area where rubber is missing with a smaller area near, and I could see how some the edges looked melted. Next I noticed how cupped the outer edges were and immediately knew he was running inadequate pressure.

I again asked him how often he checked and then the truth came out. Only sometimes and some of those times he just kicked the tire. OMG!!! He weighs 250, wifey weighs 150+. Tire only had 20 psi in it but with so much rubber missing I don't know how much had escaped. Front tire was 8 psi low.

Kicked the tires...GEEZE!!!

RACNRAY

"TRUE HAPPINESS IS IN THE HEART,NOT IN THE OUTSIDE FIXES!!"
WITH OVER 42 YEARS AS A MOTORCYCLE TECHNICIAN/HI-PO SHOP OWNER I AM A PURVEYOR OF FACT NOT FICTION!
"WE LIVE OUR LIVES IN CHAINS NEVER KNOWING WE HAD THE KEY"
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-04-2017, 05:10 PM
Lifetime Premium

Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017

Year/Make/Model: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic
Displacement/CC's: 903
Color: Silver
Garage
I run 40/40. Anything less I can feel it's going to be a bad ride.

"As long as I have the voices in my head, I'll never ride alone."

2006 Vulcan 900 classic
Mustang Day Tripper seat
Cobra Light Bar
Cobra Air Scoop
Cobra short sissy bar
Cobra Lowers
Baron's front and rear pulley
Baron's Big and Nasty pipes
Leatherlyke hard bags
Blue Superbrites LED accent lights
Chrome Woo Loo Air Horn
Avon Grips
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-13-2017, 03:32 PM

I run 40 rear, 38 front. I'm over 300lbs and 6'6" tall. I also ride 2 up sometimes. I run my shock pressure at 40psi.

I'm going to tangent here for a bit.Might even start a new thread afterward. Has anyone changed fork springs on a Voyager? Progressive only offers a lowering kit. NOT what I'm looking for!!! I've thought about pulling the fork caps and adding a spacer to increase preload to reduce loaded sag. Also, since the rear shock has a max air capacity, is there either an aftermarket shock set (progressives are not adjustable except for preload) or has anyone modified the stock shocks? I'm debating the idea of taking off the shocks over the winter and removing the springs, machining a set of aluminum spacers to insert, and re-installing them.

2012 Vulcan 1700 Voyager, white and gold
Rac'nRay throttle mod w/Avon grips
Chuckster's air intake
Vance & Hines slip ons
PCV with dyno tuning
Mustang wide touring seat w/rider backrest
Corbin passenger back rest for mrs. Too
Cobra highway pegs
Kenwood M 1814 amp, Kicker 6.5" speakers and Engineered Adpators speaker adapters.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-13-2017, 06:27 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by toodamtall View Post
I run 40 rear, 38 front. I'm over 300lbs and 6'6" tall. I also ride 2 up sometimes. I run my shock pressure at 40psi.

I'm going to tangent here for a bit.Might even start a new thread afterward. Has anyone changed fork springs on a Voyager? Progressive only offers a lowering kit. NOT what I'm looking for!!! I've thought about pulling the fork caps and adding a spacer to increase preload to reduce loaded sag. Also, since the rear shock has a max air capacity, is there either an aftermarket shock set (progressives are not adjustable except for preload) or has anyone modified the stock shocks? I'm debating the idea of taking off the shocks over the winter and removing the springs, machining a set of aluminum spacers to insert, and re-installing them.
Contact Works Performance or Race Tech for custom made to your needs shocks. I had Works shocks on my Vaq custom made, they worked well, and a few other 1700 owners have gone the same route. You can also get higher rate fork springs from Race Tech.

Preloading the stock springs will also be a step in the right direction along with changing the fork oil to 20 weight and raising the fork oil level 20 mm.

RACNRAY

"TRUE HAPPINESS IS IN THE HEART,NOT IN THE OUTSIDE FIXES!!"
WITH OVER 42 YEARS AS A MOTORCYCLE TECHNICIAN/HI-PO SHOP OWNER I AM A PURVEYOR OF FACT NOT FICTION!
"WE LIVE OUR LIVES IN CHAINS NEVER KNOWING WE HAD THE KEY"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode