Lights2all Clear Turn Signal Lenses - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-24-2017, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
Kap
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Lights2all Clear Turn Signal Lenses

I've been wanting to convert my rear turn signals to tail light / turn signal combos ever since I installed a front light bar. My thoughts are to take the 1157 bulb sockets from my original front signals and wire them up to power the rear lights using these clear lens housings with Philips brand red LED bulbs. This was step one, to install clear lenses on the back. I thought I'd share.

I purchased lights4all.com's item number 30-1142 for use on my 2010 Vulcan Classic LT rear turn signals. They were $43.48 with shipping (actually, they were $70.11 but I received a shipping refund for $26.63 within minutes of placing the order making the total $43.48).

Link here: http://www.lights4all.com

They fit good. Not quite as snug as factory, but no issues. I haven't seen anyone post pics of how those lenses look, so I thought I'd share. I suspect they will look a lot better when the yellow bulbs are replaced with the white housing LEDs.

For now, the bulbs blink identical to the originals. I'm still trying to work out what I want to do with the red set-up, so I'll leave it like this for a few weeks. Picture and very short video of how they look below.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6981.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	195554  

Kap

2010 Classic LT - Imperial Red & Metallic Titanium ("
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
")

Friends tell me I need to get in shape. Round is a shape, isn't it?

Last edited by Kap; 07-20-2017 at 01:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-24-2017, 09:19 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2011 Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Metallic blue/silver
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Biker Dash
How about a clear brake light lens...

2011 1700 Nomad -- "Princess Celestia"
2003 1500 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 5.9 "Nightmare Moon"
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-24-2017, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
Kap
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker Dash View Post
How about a clear brake light lens...
Yeah, I see those on eBay for about $90 or so. They include turn signals in the brake light system. I'd want to see how that works before making the buy.

If anyone has one, how about a pic or video????

Kap

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
")

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-03-2017, 10:41 PM Thread Starter
Kap
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Ok, finished it up but may still change the bulbs again. The ones I got are bright straight outward, but they don't light the lens background well enough.

I used a Kuryakyn Universal Run-Turn-Brake Controller (4710). It was an easy install but I did have to reverse the polarity at the bulb to get the LEDs to work. The Kuryakyn controler came with a load equalizer that functions nicely with the LEDs and the turn signal auto off works fine.

Kap

")

Last edited by Kap; 07-04-2017 at 04:45 PM.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-04-2017, 09:14 AM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kap View Post
I've been wanting to convert my rear turn signals to tail light / turn signal combos ever since I installed a front light bar. My thoughts are to take the 1157 bulb sockets from my original front signals and wire them up to power the rear lights using these clear lens housings with Philips brand red LED bulbs. This was step one, to install clear lenses on the back. I thought I'd share.

I purchased lights4all.com's item number 30-1142 for use on my 2010 Vulcan Classic LT rear turn signals. They were $43.48 with shipping (actually, they were $70.11 but I received a shipping refund for $26.63 within minutes of placing the order making the total $43.48).

They fit good. Not quite as snug as factory, but no issues. I haven't seen anyone post pics of how those lenses look, so I thought I'd share. I suspect they will look a lot better when the yellow bulbs are replaced with the white housing LEDs.

For now, the bulbs blink identical to the originals. I'm still trying to work out what I want to do with the red set-up, so I'll leave it like this for a few weeks. Picture and very short video of how they look below.

https://www.youtube.com/
I may be wrong but your little video wasn't of LED lights. Look like regular incandescent bulbs to me. LED's are instant on/off, those weren't.

2013 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Voyager

Last edited by Pilot747; 07-04-2017 at 04:53 PM. Reason: Mis read the post. My bad
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-04-2017, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
Kap
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot747 View Post
I may be wrong but your little video wasn't of LED lights. Look like regular incandescent bulbs to me. LED's are instant on/off, those weren't.
Correct, video in my first post used regular yellow bulbs in the clear housings. The plan was to convert them from the 1156 connectors to 1157. After looking at how easy the Kuryakyn converter hooked up, I trashed the idea of changing sockets and went with keeping the 1156 while using the converter.

I tried two different brands of standard red 1156 bulbs and they just didn't seem bright, so I went ahead and swapped to LEDs. The video in post #4 shows the new red LEDs. The LEDs in the second video may not look like instant on, but they are and re MUCH faster than normal bulbs. Keep in mind that the brake/tail light is already LED.

Kap

")

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-04-2017, 05:07 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kap View Post
Correct, video in my first post used regular yellow bulbs in the clear housings. The plan was to convert them from the 1156 connectors to 1157. After looking at how easy the Kuryakyn converter hooked up, I trashed the idea of changing sockets and went with keeping the 1156 while using the converter.

I tried two different brands of standard red 1156 bulbs and they just didn't seem bright, so I went ahead and swapped to LEDs. The video in post #4 shows the new red LEDs. The LEDs in the second video may not look like instant on, but they are and re MUCH faster than normal bulbs. Keep in mind that the brake/tail light is already LED.
Wish I could find clears lens for my voyager.. I have a run/turn/stop module so the signal lights function as both tail and brake lights as well. I replaced the regular bulbs with LEDs. When I apply the brake they all flash a few times before becoming solid. Would be nice to replace the amber LEDs with red ones. I had to reverse the polarity in the turn signals so the LEDs would work.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-04-2017, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Kap
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Reversing polarity on LEDs is common. Regular bulbs work either way, LEDs are specific and only light on way. I had to do that as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kap

")

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-06-2017, 06:49 PM
Lifetime Premium

I guess my point is, why would the rear turn signals be wired backwards from what would seem to be normal. Positive wire to the center post and ground to the outside. The front weren't, of course they are double filament, maybe thats why. The LED that wouldn't work in the back, worked in the front. Hence, the idea that the rear sockets were reversed. Just took a snip and a swap, and a little solder. I do wish there was a way to swap the amber lens for clear so I could use red LED's

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-07-2017, 07:03 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2009 Voyager 1700
Yes, the rear signals are wired backwards for some reason on Voyager and Vaquero.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot747 View Post
I guess my point is, why would the rear turn signals be wired backwards from what would seem to be normal. Positive wire to the center post and ground to the outside. The front weren't, of course they are double filament, maybe thats why. The LED that wouldn't work in the back, worked in the front. Hence, the idea that the rear sockets were reversed. Just took a snip and a swap, and a little solder. I do wish there was a way to swap the amber lens for clear so I could use red LED's

"If you want to feel smart, get stupid freinds..."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode