Need advise on handle bar vibration - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 07:41 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Need advise on handle bar vibration

Got a 2010 Voyager with 25K on it. Most KM done on a dyno machine as my bike was a tester for emission for the government. My problem is that the handle bar vibrates when driving. Had tire pressure adjusted, steering bearing inspected, front wheel balanced, changed front tire. Mechanic says good to go. But i still feel the vibration after a road test. He says it's normal and I should buy new anti-vibration grips. Any advice...?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 11:43 PM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2013 Voyager
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Blue/Black
What brand of front tire did you buy? I have read where some folks have issues with certain brands. If I recall, some have gone back to the stock Bridgestone. What type of balancing was done? You might consider taking it to a different shop. I have a 2013 Voyager and do not have any vibration. I run about 35 psi in my front tire. That's all I have. Hopefully others will chime in soon.

Kawasaki rear speakers
VN 1500 Kickstand
Ipod adapter
Kuryakyn Longhorn Offset Highway Pegs
Garmin 390LM w/TPMS
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 09:39 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
What do you mean by vibration? Is it a side to side movement to the bars. Is it an up and down movement? You will get a vibration from engine pulses, thats why the bars are rubber mounted to the tree too help eliminate how much you feel n your hands. The 2000-3000 rpm range is where I feel this the most on my 2012 Voyager.

2005 800 classic
2012 Voyager ABS

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Glenn

Thanks for the info. I had originally a Bridgestone tire on the bike. After ensuring that all front end parts were good, I had a Metzller ME888 installed. The mechanic set the pressure at 36psi. I do not know what type of balancing was done. I know it was done as I seen him doing it in the shop. The vibration is still there. I have the original hard handle still installed on the bike. I find that perhaps I am starting to feel that I need the soft padded ones.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 04:51 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Rick

I appreciate your input. I feel an up\down vibration as if the tire is rolling on bumps. And yes I do think I feel the engine pulse. Today I had it checked because I was advised that perhaps the vibration is from the engine mounts. All seems OK. However I still feel it vibrates. When I put the bike on cruise, it seems to worsen...!

I only have had the bike 1 month now, but getting discourage, as I find it difficult to ride and my hands and wrist are getting numb. It has the original hand grips, should I consider softer ones before I get mad and trade it in...?
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 05:16 PM

Hmm. This may be a long shot but perhaps there is a way to replace the rubber washers that the bars are mounted to with something thicker or maybe softer?

Another thing that might help a little is using a slightly lighter weight fork oil. That will make the ride a little more plush on bumps but don't know much it would effect overall vibration.

Just for comparison may I ask what bike you had before your Vulcan?

2009 1700 Nomad (Black)
OPT7 LED headlamp
Painted brake disks
Kawasaki light bar
Scootworks bar risers & engine chaps
RAM phone mount & drink holder
Kuryakyn speakers & AC outlet
National speedometer cowl
Wolo air horn
Oxford heated grips
Vaquero engine emblems
Mustang touring seat
Irons in the Fire rack
Kuryakyn Triple Play tail light
Cobra Tri-Oval exhaust
LED custom driving lights, accents, and turn signals
Goodyear Tripletred rear tire (205-16-60)
Ivans ECU flash
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 05:20 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Matt7even

I had a 2009 Vulcan 900 Classic LT.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 07:56 PM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Check the engine rubber mounts make sure they are still good, then try new grips with weighted ends. You can also put an iron rods inserted into each side of the handlebar (glued in). You will not get all the vibration out as it is the nature of the engine, but it can be tamed. I only notice it when I am lugging the engine some.

Changing the handlebar riser rubber even adding rubber washers usually makes it worse as you change the dynamics of the way they are designed to work.

Even the way you have the bar height adjusted can contribute to vibration.

Bubba in TX

2011 Voyager "Betty Clunker"

A bad day on a motorcycle is better than a good day in a car

Some people collect T-shirts
I actually ride

Voyager 1700 owners...
WRAP your pipes....
You will be glad you did...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
U.S.A.F. Retired

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Nye County Nevada
Motor Officer Retired
Blue Knights Texas 43
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 09:46 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2010 NOMAD
Color: Black/titanium
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cailloux View Post
Glenn

Thanks for the info. I had originally a Bridgestone tire on the bike. After ensuring that all front end parts were good, I had a Metzller ME888 installed. The mechanic set the pressure at 36psi. I do not know what type of balancing was done. I know it was done as I seen him doing it in the shop. The vibration is still there. I have the original hard handle still installed on the bike. I find that perhaps I am starting to feel that I need the soft padded ones.
Think tire pressure little high,run 32 up front,on my 2nd set of oem Bridgestones w kury grips,nice and thick and soft,No vibrations,Hell my mirrors barely move,jmo
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-16-2017, 12:35 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2013 Kawasaki Vulcan Voyager
Color: White/Grey
I bought a carton of BBs for the handlebars of my old VStrom. Cheaper than a bar snake, and worked awesome. Just remove the grips and pour it in with a funnel.
MVA-Voyager likes this.

2013 Vulcan Voyager
Traveled West to East
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode