Considering '14 Nomad ABS-any thing to look for? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-27-2017, 07:48 PM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: Triumph Tiger 1200
Displacement/CC's: 1200
Color: Matte green
Considering '14 Nomad ABS-any thing to look for?

New to this part of the forum but I've got a contract on a 2014 Nomad 1700 with 2200 miles.

Any glitches or problems with the 1700 Nomads? I know of the recall for the key switch wire chafe. Any other recalls or issues?

It's located far away and I'm going to have it shipped if the numbers work out on a trade. I hate not doing a test ride but I'm getting a very good deal and will take a chance. I currently own a Vulcan 900 and want ABS and other than a Versys 1000 I can't get it in a "touring" bike. (I know Connie is one) Cruise Control is the deal maker (not breaker) for me. I've got such bad arthritis that I have to sometimes stop and take a break it hurts so much.

I've owned a Thunderbird 1600 so think I can handle the weight. It is going to be used for long distance trips and the times my wife does not want to ride. The Vaquero was too much stuff for me and the Classes no hard bags.

Only downside I see is from what I read crappy fuel mileage and small tank and the engine needs to have revs up?
MY wife rides a Vulcan 650 so I thought it would be good to stay Vulcan.

My other choice is a BMW RT but not for this forum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-27-2017, 07:52 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Nomad 1700 ABS
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Flat black/white
I just bought a brand new 2014 Kawasaki Nomad 1700, it was leftover stock at the dealer. The only issue I had was the fuel pump went out after about 350 miles. I researched it and found it was not a common issue. The dealer repaired it no problem under warranty! It's a very sweet ride!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-27-2017, 08:35 PM Thread Starter

Hey good idea. Extended Kawa warranty. I am now a member of the ROK via the American Motorcycle Association. How does the cruise control function? I just found out the bike has a music system and a carbon fiber belt. Glad there is no chain. We are going to be a 2 Vulcan family soon.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-27-2017, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motor_psycho View Post
Hey good idea. Extended Kawa warranty. I am now a member of the ROK via the American Motorcycle Association. How does the cruise control function? I just found out the bike has a music system and a carbon fiber belt. Glad there is no chain. We are going to be a 2 Vulcan family soon.
Well, mine has the factory warranty as it is considered new, never being titled. The cruise works beautifully! I am quite impressed by it. Also love the belt as well! Great bike all around!

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-27-2017, 09:17 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2010 NOMAD
Color: Black/titanium
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by motor_psycho View Post
New to this part of the forum but I've got a contract on a 2014 Nomad 1700 with 2200 miles.

Any glitches or problems with the 1700 Nomads? I know of the recall for the key switch wire chafe. Any other recalls or issues?

It's located far away and I'm going to have it shipped if the numbers work out on a trade. I hate not doing a test ride but I'm getting a very good deal and will take a chance. I currently own a Vulcan 900 and want ABS and other than a Versys 1000 I can't get it in a "touring" bike. (I know Connie is one) Cruise Control is the deal maker (not breaker) for me. I've got such bad arthritis that I have to sometimes stop and take a break it hurts so much.

I've owned a Thunderbird 1600 so think I can handle the weight. It is going to be used for long distance trips and the times my wife does not want to ride. The Vaquero was too much stuff for me and the Classes no hard bags.

Only downside I see is from what I read crappy fuel mileage and small tank and the engine needs to have revs up?
MY wife rides a Vulcan 650 so I thought it would be good to stay Vulcan.

My other choice is a BMW RT but not for this forum.
Get the nomad you will not be Disappointed,mileage isnt bad ,Ride is awesome
todd93 likes this.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-27-2017, 10:08 PM Thread Starter

What a toss up BMW vs the Nomad-no wrong choice and thanks for the input.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-27-2017, 11:02 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2000 Nomad 1500 fi
Displacement/CC's: 1500
Color: Purplish Black Mica
Just remember BMW's are like tall long legged blondes. High Maintenance !!!
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-28-2017, 07:08 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Nomad ABS
Color: Black/White
Garage
I went from an '08 900 LT to the '14 Nomad with ABS like you're planning, so let's see if I can answer some of your questions. I miss the quickness and agility of the 900, but the comfort of the Nomad vs. the 900 is incomparable! For long distance it's hard to beat the Nomad, and even around town it handles well once you get moving (it's heavy compared to the 900). The throttle response takes a while to get used to as it isn't as quick revving as the 900, but you'll have torque galore! I don't know what you mean by needing to have the revs up, but this thing has massive torque from idle up.

There was 0 miles on it when I bought the Nomad but I now have 18,000 miles on it. Off the lot, my cruise control would stop engaging after riding a little bit and I found the rear brake cruise control switch wasn't adjusted properly from the factory. An internet search showed this was somewhat common. I took care of that myself. The belt was too tight, as is common with Kaw's. At around 6K it developed a very loud clanging noise in the front end. It took the dealer some time to figure it out and they wound up replacing both front forks. This is NOT a common problem and was handled under warranty. Other than that I've been on numerous 1,000+ mile trips on it and have enjoyed it so much. This July I'll be going on a 5,000 mile roundabout trip to Yellowstone and wouldn't want to do that on the 900.

Overall I get about 40mpg but have gotten as much as 50+mpg in the high altitudes when touring Colorado last year. When I first got the bike I was only getting around 32mpg. After I put about 6-7,000 miles on it the mileage improved. The tank is the same size as the 900 (5.3 gals) and I can comfortably go 150 miles between fills, while still having a comfortable margin in the tank. You do have to use 90+ octane in the Nomad.

You mention you have arthritis. I'm 64 years old with mild arthritis. The 900 was wearing me out on my long distance trips (did 5 trips over 1,000 miles), which is the reason I moved to the Nomad. When I got back from the Grand Canyon (3600 miles) in 2015 I told my wife "no more". The 900 transmits every little highway bump, imperfection and pebble to the operator. At highway speeds of 70mph, the engine sound level is high. While the 900 handles it well, I couldn't! The Nomad simply purrrrrs along without the operator feeling anything. The sweet spot (for me, anyway) is 75-80 in 6th gear. Sweeet!

Regarding the wire chafe.... I had my tank off to install a power plug and the wire mod was already done from the factory.

You will absolutely enjoy the Nomad, but I still miss my 900 from time to time.
todd93 likes this.

Go for the ride!
2014 Kawasaki 1700 Nomad ABS
2008 Kawasaki 900 Classic LT (sold 2015 42k miles)
1975 Kawasaki KZ400 (sold ~1985)
1970 Suzuki TS250 Scrambler (stolen 1971)
1968 Bridgestone 200 MKII RS (sold 1970)
Patriot Guard Rider
USN 1971-75

Last edited by CarGuy; 05-28-2017 at 07:12 AM.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-28-2017, 07:18 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Nomad
Color: Blk/Wht
I bought a new leftover last year too. It's been great, no issues. And fuel mileage is decent for such a big bike. The only thing I needed to add was a USB plug for my gps/phone. It has everything I want in a touring/cruising bike.
Although it ran well stock I did get the Ivan's ECU mod. It's worth it, smooths the power throughout the rpm range and opens it up a bit on top.
Only 2 things to be aware of, I wouldn't even call them issues. There is a lot of heat off the engine when the fan kicks in. I would expect this with a big ole v-twin between my legs so I'm sure it is no more than any other cruiser. My other bikes are not cruisers so it is new to me.
The other is the brakes. I am used to stop on a dime brakes on lighter weight bikes so it could be me not being used to hauling down this size bike. I find I need to use a heavy foot to slow things quickly. I plan to look into some braided brake lines as a next mod to see how that helps.
You will love it. It is such a smooth, comfortable, well equipped bike.
Len
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-29-2017, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenwoj View Post
I bought a new leftover last year too. It's been great, no issues. And fuel mileage is decent for such a big bike. The only thing I needed to add was a USB plug for my gps/phone. It has everything I want in a touring/cruising bike.
Although it ran well stock I did get the Ivan's ECU mod. It's worth it, smooths the power throughout the rpm range and opens it up a bit on top.
Only 2 things to be aware of, I wouldn't even call them issues. There is a lot of heat off the engine when the fan kicks in. I would expect this with a big ole v-twin between my legs so I'm sure it is no more than any other cruiser. My other bikes are not cruisers so it is new to me.
The other is the brakes. I am used to stop on a dime brakes on lighter weight bikes so it could be me not being used to hauling down this size bike. I find I need to use a heavy foot to slow things quickly. I plan to look into some braided brake lines as a next mod to see how that helps.
You will love it. It is such a smooth, comfortable, well equipped bike.
Len
You mentioned the heat issue, I've been reading a lot about Ivan's ecu flash, it deals with that from what I've read. I'm seriously considering doing it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode