ABS K-ACT issues? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 07:15 PM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: 2015 Voyager
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Unhappy ABS K-ACT issues?

Howdy all,

I have a 2015 Voyager............when applying brakes, either front or back, I will get a vibration when I first apply brakes, and only when first applied. This happens mainly when coming to a slow stop (and not consistently every time, but most of the time). When applying brakes at highway speeds..........brakes are flawless. Dealer says they can't feel a thing.....
The sensation it gives as tho there is play in the triple tree. Dealer says no play in triple tree.
This has occurred since about 500 miles (speedo says 5300 now). The only thing that seems to calm it down, is taking carburetor cleaner to disks (haven't tired anything else). Any help out there? I'm thinking possible contaminated pads.
Other issue I have, when feathering brakes at slow speeds, there is a point where they are either on or off (grab). Meaning nothing in between. Very slight pressure on brakes....

Any advice out there?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 07:39 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2010 NOMAD
Color: Black/titanium
Garage
Change the pads out???Maybe? just a thought
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 08:10 PM Thread Starter

What type of pads are from factory............semi or perhaps full metallic pads?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-10-2017, 08:14 PM
Top Contributor

Go buuy EBC semi metallic.. Great pads for the money...

Gary

SW Michigan

2009 Kawasaki Voyager
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 04:35 PM

Motorcycle covered under warranty? Regardless, I would consider this a safety issue and the dealer should be "all over it"! At least dealer should pull pads, clean rotors and replace with new pads. Just wondering too.....Do you use any tire dressing? Wheel cleaner? Any cleaners or detailing products that could have contaminated your pads? Rode thru any suspect wet areas on the road? Hope you get it figured out. I have a 2016 and brakes are excellent!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 05:47 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2010 NOMAD
Color: Black/titanium
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08Nomad View Post
Motorcycle covered under warranty? Regardless, I would consider this a safety issue and the dealer should be "all over it"! At least dealer should pull pads, clean rotors and replace with new pads. Just wondering too.....Do you use any tire dressing? Wheel cleaner? Any cleaners or detailing products that could have contaminated your pads? Rode thru any suspect wet areas on the road? Hope you get it figured out. I have a 2016 and brakes are excellent!
Good point about warranty,would try to pressure dealer since there seems to be an issue
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vroomvroom2 View Post
Howdy all,

I have a 2015 Voyager............when applying brakes, either front or back, I will get a vibration when I first apply brakes, and only when first applied. This happens mainly when coming to a slow stop (and not consistently every time, but most of the time). When applying brakes at highway speeds..........brakes are flawless. Dealer says they can't feel a thing.....
The sensation it gives as tho there is play in the triple tree. Dealer says no play in triple tree.
This has occurred since about 500 miles (speedo says 5300 now). The only thing that seems to calm it down, is taking carburetor cleaner to disks (haven't tired anything else). Any help out there? I'm thinking possible contaminated pads.
Other issue I have, when feathering brakes at slow speeds, there is a point where they are either on or off (grab). Meaning nothing in between. Very slight pressure on brakes....

Any advice out there?
My brakes will chatter sometimes too, been doing it for 8 years. I've replaced numerous pads, rotors and calipers over the past half million kms and nothing has changed, the brakes work just fine so I call it normal. Ride more, worry less!

Garry

2009 Voyager ABS:
Sold at 679,465 kms
Improve handling, suspension and tire life
with Garry's Fork Brace.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 09:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08Nomad View Post

I'll probably take it to a different dealer and let them give it a wack. Only thing that's touched the bike has been a washing. Never been driven through puddles or in the rain. I

I was hoping someone experienced same and had a fix for it. K-Act is not something I enjoy. Wish I could disconnect it. Before dropping off at dealer, I will probably pull pads and take a look at them.

I agree, I feel this is a safety issue. The problem is trying to get the problem to replicate for someone else.

I thank everyone for all their impute.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-11-2017, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vroomvroom2 View Post
I'll probably take it to a different dealer and let them give it a wack. Only thing that's touched the bike has been a washing. Never been driven through puddles or in the rain. I

I was hoping someone experienced same and had a fix for it. K-Act is not something I enjoy. Wish I could disconnect it. Before dropping off at dealer, I will probably pull pads and take a look at them.

I agree, I feel this is a safety issue. The problem is trying to get the problem to replicate for someone else.

I thank everyone for all their impute.
You can disable K-ACT by removing the fuse, you will then have standard brakes, without boost, without ABS, without front-to-rear linking, and without chatter.
Your chatter is normal, it's the booster pump cycling just like it's designed to do. It's not a safety concern.
Ride more, worry less................

Garry

2009 Voyager ABS:
Sold at 679,465 kms
Improve handling, suspension and tire life
with Garry's Fork Brace.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-12-2017, 07:30 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2016 Vaquero
Color: White
I have the exact same problem with my 2014 Concours. I've had it since about 1500KM now (currently have 11,000 KM). Couple times I thought the brakes were going to lock-up. I don't like the K-ACT system at all on the Kawasaki. It is not smooth and the feeling is variable... never the same braking feeling. On the highway, it's fine like you say.

Ride more, apply less braking....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode