2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 09:07 AM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Vulacan Voyager
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Red/Gray
Garage
Odd front tire wear

Can someone explain how the front tire on my 2014 Voyager can dramatically wear more on the left side? I have 12,800 miles on my Voyager and am the original owner. Never been put down. Can the forks be out of alignment? This is something I have never seen before. Looking at the front tire you would think I only make left turns! Any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170330_094737.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	186098  

They call me Pop Pop because I'm too cool to be called grandfather!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 10:47 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 1995 Kawasaki Vulcan 500
Color: Black / grey
Google - left side motorcycle tire wear
And you will find a lot of info.

Here are the top ones -
"There have been several reasons put forth as to why this occurs. Here are a few of the more common ones:
1- It depends on personal riding habits, motorcycle balance and the roads frequently traveled.
2- The existence of road crowns, allowing rainwater to drain from the center of the road to the sides, causing wear on the left side of the tires since you ride on the right side of the road.
3 - At intersections, left-hand turns are literally longer than right hand turns because of the necessity of positioning yourself in the rightmost lane of the road youíre entering, as demonstrated in the simple diagram below. This means that you literally ride a greater distance on the left side than the ride side of your tires."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1995 en500 stock with windshield - 31,000 miles
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 04:10 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2016 KAW VN900CGF
Displacement/CC's: 900
Color: Black/White
your left arm is shorter than your right arm.
matt7even and revrider like this.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 07:57 PM

Road crown is possible, if you ride such ALOT. More likely, either your fork is off quilter, maybe one shock not fully seated in top of triple tree, or bolts not torqued right. More likely, your left front brake may be dragging or at least braking harder than the right. Make sure your wheel Is true & bearings are lubed. Final guess would be a tire defect.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 07:12 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 1995 Kawasaki Vulcan 500
Color: Black / grey
Sorry, left side wear is common.

1995 en500 stock with windshield - 31,000 miles
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 07:26 AM

26k & 3 front tires on my Nomad riding daily with no unusual wear, but I park on carpet. Maybe parking on left side concrete extended periods makes it cup & wear.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 07:47 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
It's a little hard to tell from the pics; but to me, that doesn't look too severe.

Like VulcanDoc said, left side wear is normal.

Florida being flat and wet, road crown probably plays a significant part in your tire wear.
Give your riding conditions and style a bit of a review too.
Do you have a few round-abouts in your area? More left hand turns/curves your able to lean into? Finally, is there any place that you brake while leaning left?

N. TX is pretty flat too. There are a couple of clover leaf hiway exits and a few nice hard turns I get to lean into on my commute. My left side chicken strip on both of my bikes are just a bit smaller and the lean indicators on my left footboards/pegs are worn a little deeper.

BTW, what pressure are you running on that tire? Looks to me that your contact patch extends into the worn area, Kawasaki recommended pressures are considered low by most riders. Bumping it up to 36 will give longer wear and most people feel like it provides better control too. Rear is usually bumped up to 40 or so.

2012 Voyager 1700 ---SOLD
Pearl Alpine White/Pearl Luster Beige
Nice

2011 Rocket III Touring
Phantom Black
Naughty

2016 Indian Roadmaster
Thunder Black

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 11:31 PM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2010 Kawasaki Voyager
Color: Red/Black
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_in_TX View Post
BTW, what pressure are you running on that tire? Looks to me that your contact patch extends into the worn area, Kawasaki recommended pressures are considered low by most riders. Bumping it up to 36 will give longer wear and most people feel like it provides better control too. Rear is usually bumped up to 40 or so.
Yeah, low pressure will cause the middle of the tire to buckle inward and cause more wear on each side of the middle, though it is usually a wider difference between the wear strips than what you have. Could be that you are not running severely low, but just a bit. Combine that with factors others have listed to cause more wear on the left side?

Installed:
RAM mount for TomTom Rider 400 (with anti theft module)
6000k LED Headlight & Spots; Kisan Headlight Modulator (works with LEDs),
__Brake Light Modulator, LED License Plate Holder
Longer Kickstand
Dobeck EJK 3.0
Lucky Mirror Extenders
Misc. RAM Mounts for Cup Holder, SPOT, Phone, etc.
Chuckster BAK, Trailer Hitch and Cooler Rack
Wiring for Trailer
Ray's Throttle Mod
Things to do:
Drilling Baffle Plates (Maybe)
Paint HF Tag Along Trailer to Match Bike

LET'S RIDE
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppop View Post
Can someone explain how the front tire on my 2014 Voyager can dramatically wear more on the left side? I have 12,800 miles on my Voyager and am the original owner. Never been put down. Can the forks be out of alignment? This is something I have never seen before. Looking at the front tire you would think I only make left turns! Any ideas?
Wear on the left side of a tire is normal in countries where we drive on the right because we go farther and faster in left turns. Countries that drive on the left have right side tire wear.
Front tire wear and cupping can be reduced by installing a fork brace, I get 30,000 miles from front tires (Michelin C2) with very little cupping.

Garry

2009 Voyager ABS:
Sold at 679,465 kms
Improve handling, suspension and tire life
with Garry's Fork Brace.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-02-2017, 11:10 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2015 Voyager
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppop View Post

Hummm, I have the same tire wear.....only 4k
Always keep tire inflation at max as stated in manual. Both front and rear. .....this is my first voyager.........and first abnormal tire wear problem. All my previous bikes, to include 1200 and 1500 goldwings didn't experience this issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode