Eyeing a 2013 Nomad to buy - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By hayes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

Eyeing a 2013 Nomad to buy

it has 31k miles, anything I need to look for or concerns with this year model. It has a PC V, lots of other add on's of which I will be removing. Looks like a "geeyser getter" with all the extra lights and big air horns. How does this bike compare to a 1600 Classic that I test drove, it felt slow and heavy like the tires were under inflated but that was not the case. That bike was completely stock with 3500 miles, I forget what year but it was a 5 speed. Rode a couple of new Harleys and they were nice, kind of unrefined but the cam tension shoes scare me. Thanks for any input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 06:47 PM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2012 Kawasaki Nomad
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Red|Silver
Garage
I love my '12 Nomad. I bought it with 3152 miles and it now has 30500 miles on it. It has been trouble free. I have it serviced (with my free service plan) at the dealer and it's basic maintenance stuff. The bike rides great. It's quick, pulls hard to 100 mph, and rides smooth as hell.
revrider likes this.

I grabbed a fistful of throttle and all my worries disappeared.
|| Former President | Vulcan Riders Association | Chapter 1-30 ||
|| 2012 Kawasaki Nomad | EJK Fuel Controller | Vance & Hines Twin Slash Cut | Thunder Manufacturing BAK ||
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 07:28 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2013 Kawasaki Vulcan Voyager
Color: White/Grey
Kawi's have plastic shoes on their camshaft tensioners as well (Part #12053A), but they are much longer than HD's.
I have a 2013 Voyager, with a few mods but nothing spectacular. I also owned a Road King back when the TC 88's were first manufactured.

Honestly, it really depends on how much you like to tinker and polish. If you are "Car/Bike Guy" that likes to spend weekends doing things like adjusting your throttle settings, replacing your own clutch baskets and such the HD is a nice bike. In my personal opinion, the Venture is more of bike for those who don't like to tinker as much.

True story- I was at the Mazda dealership last week, buying the wife a new CX-5. After the deal was done, I talked to the finance guy (but really the "closer" lol) and asked him how much hold-back money Mazda was releasing for each car sold, now that they are no longer a part of Ford Motor. His answer surprised me. Basically, the dealership makes no money on the sales and the holdback money goes to the salesman. The dealerships these days make most their money off the Service Dept...since they control all the new computer coding.

If bikes are the same as cars now, I doubt HD's new motor is significantly better than the old Evos...otherwise they would lose money on servicing. The 1700 motor has been around for *years* with no major changes except for an outside fan on the rear jug. Just something to consider.

2013 Vulcan Voyager
Traveled West to East

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-01-2017, 07:38 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2010 NOMAD
Color: Black/titanium
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by white08gt View Post
it has 31k miles, anything I need to look for or concerns with this year model. It has a PC V, lots of other add on's of which I will be removing. Looks like a "geeyser getter" with all the extra lights and big air horns. How does this bike compare to a 1600 Classic that I test drove, it felt slow and heavy like the tires were under inflated but that was not the case. That bike was completely stock with 3500 miles, I forget what year but it was a 5 speed. Rode a couple of new Harleys and they were nice, kind of unrefined but the cam tension shoes scare me. Thanks for any input.
Love my Nad,Not a speed demon,just a great Ridn comfortable bike,put 8k
on it no issuesthe classic 17 and the nomad 17 are different as far as rider position ,not sure about the 16
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-02-2017, 07:19 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Nomad ABS
Color: Black/White
Garage
I got my (then) new 2014 Nomad 1-1/2 years ago and now have close to 16K on it. I go on a couple of multi-state rides yearly. On the road this bike is hard to beat, and around town it feels lighter than it actually is, but it ain't no "sprinter". My only problem was a front fork issue that was resolved under warranty. Love it!

Go for the ride!
2014 Kawasaki 1700 Nomad ABS
2008 Kawasaki 900 Classic LT (sold 2015 42k miles)
1975 Kawasaki KZ400 (sold ~1985)
1970 Suzuki TS250 Scrambler (stolen 1971)
1968 Bridgestone 200 MKII RS (sold 1970)
Patriot Guard Rider
USN 1971-75
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-03-2017, 11:08 PM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2011 Nomad
16000 miles on my Nomad since new a year ago November. It was a leftover 2011 (you read that right) so I got a good deal. Very happy with the bike. Very comfortable on the road, and with the flash, it's got all the power to get out of trouble. Only issue I've had is some front end wobble when I put a commander II tire on the front. Known issue. Went back to stock tire and problem went mostly away. People say all balls tapered bearing solve the problem, and I plan to install them at my next service. Other than that, I think it's a tremendous bike for the money, and I like that in a year and a quarter of riding I've only seen a few others out there. Makes mine unique.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-04-2017, 09:16 AM

My 12 Nomad at 25k miles is fantastic. Suggestions: K&N air filter added perfect throttle response and 45mpg highway, lasts 50k between cleaning. Dunlop tires best traction & ride. I added J&S saddle heat shields. Use Shell premium for best performance. Bug n heavy, but a beast! Not slow off the line. Ride like you stole it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-04-2017, 06:07 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2011 Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad
Color: Metallic blue/silver
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Biker Dash
I own a 2011 Nomad, and I absolutely love the bike. She handles nicely, and she can soak up the miles in comfort. I rode mine all the way from Maine to Baltimore and back last summer, and the bike did the trip flawlessly.

How much are they asking for the Nomad? I paid $8k for mine, and the QUadzilla fairing cost me another $2000

2011 1700 Nomad -- "Princess Celestia"
2003 1500 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 5.9 "Nightmare Moon"
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-07-2017, 08:27 PM

I test rode a 08 1600 before buying a 09 1700 Nomad. The main differences I noticed is that the 1700 felt more nimble at city speeds and the 1600 felt more stable at highway speeds. Both due to the different wheel base and center of gravity I imagine. Acceleration & braking felt about the same. Cruise control made it an easy decision for the 1700 though. Also I've found the top loading bags to be much more convenient than side loading bags since you don't have to pull over and get off the bike to get into them.

The 1700 is deceptive when it comes to acceleration if you are coming off of a 900 like I did. At first it felt like it wasn't as fast but then I looked at the speedo and realize that I was going faster than I realized. It's a touring bike so the ride and acceleration is smoother. you won't feel as much of the engine, wind, or road but upgrades like Ivan's ECU flash will give you noticeably more bite in the throttle.

2009 1700 Nomad (Black)
OPT7 LED headlamp
Painted brake disks
Kawasaki light bar
Scootworks bar risers & engine chaps
RAM phone mount & drink holder
Kuryakyn speakers & AC outlet
National speedometer cowl
Wolo air horn
Oxford heated grips
Vaquero engine emblems
Mustang touring seat
Irons in the Fire rack
Kuryakyn Triple Play tail light
Cobra Tri-Oval exhaust
LED custom driving lights, accents, and turn signals
Goodyear Tripletred rear tire (205-16-60)
Ivans ECU flash
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-08-2017, 08:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker Dash View Post
I own a 2011 Nomad, and I absolutely love the bike. She handles nicely, and she can soak up the miles in comfort. I rode mine all the way from Maine to Baltimore and back last summer, and the bike did the trip flawlessly.

How much are they asking for the Nomad? I paid $8k for mine, and the QUadzilla fairing cost me another $2000
$7300 but I messed around and it is sold.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode