Am I just cheap, or is this overpriced?? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 08:33 AM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: 2015 Kawasaki Voyager
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Metallic Charcoal
Garage
Am I just cheap, or is this overpriced??

Just called the dealership that I bought my 15 voyager from last year to get a price on new tires (Keller Brothers Motorsports) Lititz, PA. The price they gave me on the tires were about $50 more than I can get them for, I get it! They need to make a profit to keep the doors open. Install price is what I thought was outrageous! They want $60 for the front, and $160 for the rear plus tax and all that good stuff. Am I just cheap, or is $220 plus alot for install on a set of tires??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 09:58 AM

Year/Make/Model: Nomad
Displacement/CC's: 1500
Color: red
Garage
Well, do it yourself and then you will know if it's over priced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 10:06 AM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: 2015 Kawasaki Voyager
Color: Metallic Charcoal
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwhite00 View Post
Well, do it yourself and then you will know if it's over priced
I'll pass on that, Do allot myself but tires isn't on the list!

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 12:26 PM
Peg
Top Contributor

Garage
I always ask them how much if I roll the wheels in the door, and they'll usually match online tire prices plus just a little for the fit & balance. I'm guessing those prices you were quoted are for the time it'll take them to dig in there to get the wheels off & back on again, and there's quite some time in that, if they do it by the book.

There's a better way to do the rear... Leave the adjusters exactly where they are, you don't need to loosen them. Just take the shocks off, then leave the rear wheel on the ground while you lift the bike. The belt will slacken enough to pull the axle out. You might need to drop the left side muffler, but just take the rear bolts out and let the pipe swivel on the front clamp. The front doesn't need to be loosened.
reino606 likes this.

Paul (Peg) Elliott
New Plymouth, NZ. '10 Voyager 1700
'02 Nomad 1500(sold) '97 VN800B (sold)
2 Honda's, 2 Suzuki's, 1 Yamaha (all dead)
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 01:24 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Piggybacking on what alwhite00 said; doing it yourself will give you an idea of cost vs effort.

I do my own tires now and changed them on my Voyager several times. There is a lot of work that goes into getting the rear wheel off the bike; even with the shortcut to the manual that Peg mentioned.

For a dealer; that is NOT a bad price at all.

You might be able to find an independent shop to do it cheaper; but unless you know of a good shop; you're dealing with an unknown.
I used an independent for my first tire change on the Voyager. It took about 4 hours longer than quoted and they beat up my rims.

Made up my mind after that to do them myself. I bought a no-mar tire changer and it's paid for itself many times over now.
It's a real pain in the @ss.
But I KNOW the nuts & bolts are torqued correctly, the drive shafts are lubed correctly, the brake assemblies are handled and re-installed correctly.

Anyway, the business owner has to pay for the tech's time, his shop space, tools, and utilities before he starts taking his profit.
The degree of 'pain in the @ss' a job is; will relate directly to how much he can/will take.
Too high and more people will do like me and do it themselves, to low and they're leaving money on the table.

If I trusted the shop & technician; $260 would be a pinch but not a gouge.

To clarify though. I AM CHEAP.

Scott
reino606 likes this.

2012 Voyager 1700 ---SOLD
Pearl Alpine White/Pearl Luster Beige
Nice

2011 Rocket III Touring
Phantom Black
Naughty

2016 Indian Roadmaster
Thunder Black

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 02:04 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2015 Voyager
I'm replacing my rear tire this week. Just need to reinstall on the bike. And that price seems reasonable to me, as long as they do decent work.
I enjoy saving a buck when I can do the job myself but sometimes (like this time) the savings just aren't worth the hassle. This is my second time replacing tires on the Voyager and it may be the last time I install em myself.
reino606 likes this.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 05:15 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2000 Nomad 1500 fi
Displacement/CC's: 1500
Color: Purplish Black Mica
I am ordering a set of Avon Cobra's this March. Comes with a 15,000 mile tire tread warranty as well as other warranties. One catch though. The tires "must" be dealer installed to get any of the warranties. Works good for me though because when it comes to tires, I prefer to have the dealers do them. If I have any problems with the tires I have someplace to go back to. Not saying it is the best way to go, but for " ME " it's makes more sense to do it this way. Plus I'm not getting any younger and having my bike laying in the garage in a dozen pieces is no longer appealing to me.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-21-2017, 06:10 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2010 NOMAD
Color: Black/titanium
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by reino606 View Post
Just called the dealership that I bought my 15 voyager from last year to get a price on new tires (Keller Brothers Motorsports) Lititz, PA. The price they gave me on the tires were about $50 more than I can get them for, I get it! They need to make a profit to keep the doors open. Install price is what I thought was outrageous! They want $60 for the front, and $160 for the rear plus tax and all that good stuff. Am I just cheap, or is $220 plus alot for install on a set of tires??
I use a little shop but they are good,cost me 80 bucks for them to change both tires on my nad,man said,,,,,,,,,Hate doing these vulcans,,,,I got a chuckle,worth it to me to go there
reino606 likes this.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 07:43 AM

I usually pull my own wheels off and then take it to the place I have to do my tires.They do quite a few tires for folks around and do a good job.He lets you watch him change the tires so that's always nice.Never had a complaint against him and he charges$20 to change your tire.I like to pull my 1500 Vulcan wheels a day ahead and that gives me time to lube and check everything.Going back to the fullbore tires this year.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 08:17 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2006 Vulcan Nomad
Displacement/CC's: 1600
Color: Black
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by reino606 View Post
Do what you think is best. FYI...got both front and rear done on my Nomad last fall for just over $500, and that was 30% off. Prices here in Canada are upwards of double what they usually are Stateside...not an easy pill to swallow, just the way it is. 🤑

Happy trails...
Rusty

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode