Chucksters Big Air Kit - Do I need Fuel Management? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-21-2017, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: 2009 Kawasaki Vulcan Classic
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Black
Chucksters Big Air Kit - Do I need Fuel Management?

Can't seem to find an answer.

Stock exhaust, no other engine mods.

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-21-2017, 09:44 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2015 Voyager
Short answer, yes you will.

It's best to add some style of fuel management with any intake or exhaust modifications but with a free flowing air kit it's a must.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-21-2017, 09:47 PM Thread Starter

what's cost-effective? Ivan's is double the cost of Chucksters BAK and that's what they recommend...

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 09:37 PM

I don't know if the 2009's have the same issues as the 2015's but Ivan's flash made me happy I bought a 1700. The drivability is vastly improved, vastly. The power comes on much faster and a bit smoother. It even runs a bit cooler.

I've owned several bikes over the past 40 years and the Voyager was the first one that wasn't fun to go rip thru the gears. Ivan's flash fixed that, cause it's a blast to go rip thru the gears now. It's no muscle bike but the sluggishness is gone and it'll happily hit red line with a normal twist of the throttle.

I recommend contacting Ivan or somebody with a 2009 see if the improvements are the same for all years. If I had to choose one or the other I'd take the flash because of all the issues it fixes.
This may make your decision more difficult but... There are 2 different flashs for the 1700's. One covers all stock bikes and bikes with slip-on exhaust and a high flow air filter (filter only NOT an air kit). Second one covers bikes with an air kit and either stock or aftermarket exhaust.

Lots of good info on Ivan's site. Ivan's Performance Products
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 09:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Dub View Post
I don't know if the 2009's have the same issues as the 2015's but Ivan's flash made me happy I bought a 1700. The drivability is vastly improved, vastly. The power comes on much faster and a bit smoother. It even runs a bit cooler.

I've owned several bikes over the past 40 years and the Voyager was the first one that wasn't fun to go rip thru the gears. Ivan's flash fixed that, cause it's a blast to go rip thru the gears now. It's no muscle bike but the sluggishness is gone and it'll happily hit red line with a normal twist of the throttle.

I recommend contacting Ivan or somebody with a 2009 see if the improvements are the same for all years. If I had to choose one or the other I'd take the flash because of all the issues it fixes.
This may make your decision more difficult but... There are 2 different flashs for the 1700's. One covers all stock bikes and bikes with slip-on exhaust and a high flow air filter (filter only NOT an air kit). Second one covers bikes with an air kit and either stock or aftermarket exhaust.

Lots of good info on Ivan's site. Ivan's Performance Products
thanks for the info - the thing that gives me caution is sending my ECU - how long did it take you? My bike is my main mode of transportation.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 09:50 PM

He flashes and ships the same day he receives your ECU. Shipping is what takes the longest, so it depends what you're willing to spend. IIRC mine took 4 or 5 days using UPS ground.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-22-2017, 10:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
He flashes and ships the same day he receives your ECU. Shipping is what takes the longest, so it depends what you're willing to spend. IIRC mine took 4 or 5 days using UPS ground.

4-5 days each way, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 12:12 AM

I'm pretty sure it was 5 days total. Shipped on Monday, Ivan received/flashed/shipped on Wednesday, I received Friday. MI & NY not very far apart though.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 12:12 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
I'm pretty sure it was 5 days total. Shipped on Monday, Ivan received/flashed/shipped on Wednesday, I received Friday. MI & NY not very far apart though.
Ah, yeah - I'm in California.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-23-2017, 12:21 AM

Yeah that'll add some time or expense to the deal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode