Seats, handlebar, windshield adjustments on Classic LT 2009? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Bluemeanie
  • 1 Post By Peg

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-13-2016, 08:44 AM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: 2012 Vulcan Vaquero
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Royal Blue
Garage
Question Seats, handlebar, windshield adjustments on Classic LT 2009?

Does anyone know if the seats for Nomads or Voyageurs will fit a Classic LT? I find the stock seat doesn't have enough back support, and there doesn't seem to be much in the way of aftermarket seats specifically for the Classic. Or maybe a drivers backrest, if i could find one...

Plus, I apparently have short arms, as the standard handlebars seem just a wee bit too far forward. Is there a way to bring them closer an inch or two? Height is OK, but if I sit back in the seat where I can reach the backrest, then my arms are right outstretched and it feels like my balance is off. (Picture a lazyboy with your arms straight out)

There is also a shitload more wind turbulence/noise around my head from this stock windshield, it's awful!- would that mean it needs to be moved up, or down? I'm just looking through it now- I'm 5'9".

I just got this bike last week, and I'm feeling sorry I traded in my 900 now- it was alot more comfortable! I like the extra power, but I'm wondering if I made a mistake now...
Any suggestions?
Thanks,

2012 Vaquero Bella Blue II
Wolo Horn
Oxford Heated Grips

"Never get between a girl & her motorcycle, unless you're looking to be left in the dust!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-13-2016, 09:19 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2011 Vulcan Voyager
Color: Blue/Silver
For the handlebars, consider riser extensions from Chuckster's Customs. They'll bring them back, but also up as well, but you could angle them down a bit more to partially compensate for that.

As for the turbulence, are you sure it's coming from over the windshield and not down below. Try holding your palm in front of you to see if the wind is coming from below, if that's the case then lowers would be the solution.

Since I have a Voyager, I have no idea what the seat options are. Back when I had my 1500, I had the stock seat modified and it made all the difference in the world, so that's an option to consider.

I don't think you made a mistake, all thing things can be made better.
Glamgirrl likes this.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-13-2016, 09:39 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2010 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 LT
Color: Burgandy
Garage
I have a 2010 1700 Classic LT and the very first week I had it I got lowers for it. The wind was horrible coming up from below. I think they should be standard equipment with the windshield. I have also replaced the stock seat with a Mustang seat. The stock seat made my tailbone hurt after about 30 minutes riding time. Those 2 upgrades have made my Classic a very enjoyable bike.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-13-2016, 11:22 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for the feedback! I think I will have to look into doing the same thing. Does your seat have a driver backrest? I think that would really help me too.

Wolo Horn
Oxford Heated Grips

"Never get between a girl & her motorcycle, unless you're looking to be left in the dust!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-13-2016, 01:21 PM
Peg
Top Contributor

Garage
The Mustang I put on my Voyager moved me back a little, and its rider backrest was too far further back to be of any use until I modified it... So if you feel too far back now, beware the Mustang. I now have a Russell saddle with a modified Russell backrest, and it's a great seat. I should have had them do the seat without the backrest, and put a Grasshopper backrest on myself, I think. The OEM Russell backrest is very high, and large, and for my own back issues I need small, and low.

There are a number of custom saddlers who can re-work your OEM seat to get the fit you want, and I'd say that's probably the best route for you to go. Here's a link to a page that lists a few of the options.

+1 on Chuckster's risers too. I put them on when my Mustang moved me back, and like them enough to have kept them when the Russell brought me back forward.
Glamgirrl likes this.

Paul (Peg) Elliott
New Plymouth, NZ. '10 Voyager 1700
'02 Nomad 1500(sold) '97 VN800B (sold)
2 Honda's, 2 Suzuki's, 1 Yamaha (all dead)
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-13-2016, 02:52 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2010 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 LT
Color: Burgandy
Garage
No my seat doesn't have the back rest. I agree it does set you back a bit further but I like it that way.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-19-2016, 08:03 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2011 Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad
Color: Metallic blue/silver
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Biker Dash
I just checked the parts page in Nielsens, and it kinda looks like the seats between the Classic and Nomad interchange. If I can find a dealer around here with a 1700 Classic, I can check personally if they do interchange. I find the seat on the Nomad to be much more comfortable than the Classic seat.

2011 1700 Nomad -- "Princess Celestia"
2003 1500 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 5.9 "Nightmare Moon"
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-20-2016, 07:49 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thumbs up Update on my Vulcan 1700 Classic adjustments...

Thanks for all the input folks! I had the dealer adjust the handlebars down a bit and forward as much as possible, and that has helped. We tried a backrest he had in the shop, not the proper one for my bike, but just to get an idea, and that definitely makes a difference. So, I found a Mustang seat with a drivers backrest that will fit on Ebay- it's being shipped from Texas, so I won't see it until next week. (Good price, compared to up here in Ontario, where they're $1000!) I'll let you know how that works..

Also adjusted the windshield, which helped a bit, but still alot of wind noise- I think lowers might be the answer there. When my engine guards come in (today maybe?) I'm going to trace out a pattern to make a pair of chaps for them. ( I can sew, might as well try it cheaply first!) We'll see how that goes...lol
Cheers,

Wolo Horn
Oxford Heated Grips

Last edited by Glamgirrl; 10-20-2016 at 07:51 AM. Reason: add pictures
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-20-2016, 11:34 AM
Top Contributor

About the OEM 900 Classic LT windshield, I was having a lot of head buffeting until I raised it, in my case to its highest point. But what resulted is that in the higher position I can't see over it without stretching, which can make riding in rain and mist more of a problem. I have no difficulty with wind from below and I haven't added lowers or made any other modification. I'm 5'11", only a couple of inches taller than you are.

'07 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic LT

Jesus is Lord
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode