• 2 Post By Demoliton Man

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-11-2016, 02:10 PM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: 2012 Vulcan Vaquero
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Royal Blue
Garage
Question Shifting the 1700 Classic LT?

So I just picked up my 2009 1700 Classic LT the other day, and I'm trying to get used to how different the shifting is from my 900 Classic I just traded in.

Can you guys tell me what speeds you usually shift at? I'm thinking 1st to 2nd at 20km, 2nd to 3rd around 60km, 3rd to 4th at about 80km, into 5th at 100km, and OD around 120km? (I'm in Canada)
Does that seem right? It's been windy as heck here, so it's hard to hear the engine. I rode it the night I picked it up, and I rarely got out of 4th gear, even at 100-11km/hr.

What's the best way to ride it to get half decent fuel economy? Right now it's telling me 14.7L/100km, which is worse than my car! lol (Not that it matters, I'll still ride, but holy moly!)
Thanks for any advice...

2012 Vaquero Bella Blue II
Wolo Horn
Oxford Heated Grips

"Never get between a girl & her motorcycle, unless you're looking to be left in the dust!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-11-2016, 02:53 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2018 Indian Roadmaster
Displacement/CC's: 111 cui
Color: polished bronze over thunder black with silver pinstripe
Garage
Depends on which load (single or two rider with or without luggage).

I only use the first to start/take-off. Shift to second just seconds after getting the foot off the ground, so I would think about 5-10kmh.
3 gear around 20 kmh up to 40kmh. 4 from 40 to 55kmh. At 60kmh I'm already in 5th gear. Shifting into 6 around 80kmh.

That's for single riding. When wifey is behind me, I shift a little bit later, but not much. The Voyager got a tach, so most of the time, I do up-shift between 2000 and 2500 rpm and down-shift mostly near 1000 rpm (just a little over idle speed).

THIS is not a racing bike ! With your fuel economy you should shift a lot earlier ! This engine got 135 Nm of peak torque at ~ 2750rpm.
My fuel economy is 5,9l per 100 km.

Cu,
Sven

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb." - Benjamin Franklin

Harley is cult, Victory is cool, but INDIAN is legend !

MY LIFE - MY RULES !
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-11-2016, 05:23 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2011 Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad
Color: Metallic blue/silver
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Biker Dash
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glamgirrl View Post
What's the best way to ride it to get half decent fuel economy? Right now it's telling me 14.7L/100km, which is worse than my car! lol (Not that it matters, I'll still ride, but holy moly!)
Thanks for any advice...
14.7L/100km...

*converts to mpg*

HOLY [BLEEP]! That comes out to 16mpg! I'm getting 40mpg (5.88L/100km) from my Nomad, which is probably a good 45kg heavier than your Classic!

2011 1700 Nomad -- "Princess Celestia"
2003 1500 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 5.9 "Nightmare Moon"

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-11-2016, 06:56 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2010 NOMAD
Color: Black/titanium
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoliton Man View Post
Depends on which load (single or two rider with or without luggage).

I only use the first to start/take-off. Shift to second just seconds after getting the foot off the ground, so I would think about 5-10kmh.
3 gear around 20 kmh up to 40kmh. 4 from 40 to 55kmh. At 60kmh I'm already in 5th gear. Shifting into 6 around 80kmh.

That's for single riding. When wifey is behind me, I shift a little bit later, but not much. The Voyager got a tach, so most of the time, I do up-shift between 2000 and 2500 rpm and down-shift mostly near 1000 rpm (just a little over idle speed).

THIS is not a racing bike ! With your fuel economy you should shift a lot earlier ! This engine got 135 Nm of peak torque at ~ 2750rpm.
My fuel economy is 5,9l per 100 km.

Cu,
Sven
About the same here,Hardly ever use 6th,mid 30s mpg
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-11-2016, 10:30 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
5th and 6th are overdrive gears. Don't be scared to rev it up either, there's a whole different power band once you get past about 2800

2012 Kawasaki Voyager
Thunder Manufacturing Round Air Kit
Dynojet PCV Fuel Processor
Dynojet AT-300 Autotune Module
Freedom Performance True Dual's (racing Baffles)
Kuryakyn Offset Highway Pegs
Michellin Commander ll's Front & Back
RacnRay's Throttle Grip
iPod Connector
Manual Fan Switch
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016, 07:20 AM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: 2012 Vulcan Vaquero
Color: Royal Blue
Garage
I rode to work this morning (brrrr at plus 6 degrees), and kinda followed Sven's advice. I was in 5th around 80 km/hr, and OD at 100km/hr. My litres/km dropped down to 6.7 pretty quick, so I guess that's the ticket!

It seems to me that OD is really for cruising along the highway over 100km/hr, right? Drop it to 5th if I need to scoot past someone? I'm sorry if these questions seem obvious to you folks, but I don't have anyone to teach me this stuff, and I'm trying to figure it out myself. I'm not mechanically inclined either, other than doing my own oil changes. The 900 only had 5 gears, so once I hit about 80, it was just giv'er! lol
Thanks,

2012 Vaquero Bella Blue II
Wolo Horn
Oxford Heated Grips

"Never get between a girl & her motorcycle, unless you're looking to be left in the dust!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016, 08:51 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlars View Post
5th and 6th are overdrive gears. Don't be scared to rev it up either, there's a whole different power band once you get past about 2800
I'm not scared, I know that, BUT why ? This is not a racer. It is a cruiser. So i ride it like a cruiser.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glamgirrl View Post
I rode to work this morning (brrrr at plus 6 degrees), and kinda followed Sven's advice. I was in 5th around 80 km/hr, and OD at 100km/hr. My litres/km dropped down to 6.7 pretty quick, so I guess that's the ticket!

It seems to me that OD is really for cruising along the highway over 100km/hr, right? Drop it to 5th if I need to scoot past someone? I'm sorry if these questions seem obvious to you folks, but I don't have anyone to teach me this stuff, and I'm trying to figure it out myself. I'm not mechanically inclined either, other than doing my own oil changes. The 900 only had 5 gears, so once I hit about 80, it was just giv'er! lol
Thanks,
I know the 900 got only 5 gears and felt like it could used a 6th. But if they hat pu in a 6-speed tranny, the fuel tank would boil over, due to the extreme good fuel economy of the 900 engine, even with only 5 gears. Just joking.

If you need to get past someone fast, just drop to 5th. But, the 1700 is a cruiser not a sportbike, so . . .
Normally, your milage should be between 5,5 and 6,5 liter per 100 Km - depending on traffic, headwind, weight (single, double, luggage) or a heavy right hand !

Cu,
Sven
Glamgirrl and Biker Dash like this.

MY LIFE - MY RULES !
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016, 06:12 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoliton Man View Post
I'm not scared, I know that, BUT why ? This is not a racer. It is a cruiser. So i ride it like a cruiser.
YUS! It took me hitting a bit, but I found out that I wanted to just cruise, and a big cruiser is perfect for that. My Nomad may be a big bike, but it can cruise around town just as well as a 900 can, and I have a seat I find more comfortable than any 900 has, too.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-13-2016, 09:19 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker Dash View Post
YUS! It took me hitting a bit, but I found out that I wanted to just cruise, and a big cruiser is perfect for that. My Nomad may be a big bike, but it can cruise around town just as well as a 900 can, and I have a seat I find more comfortable than any 900 has, too.
You're right. The stock seat is very comfortable - way more than the 900. On my 900, i swapped the seat after only one week for a saddleman one.

Cu,
Sven

MY LIFE - MY RULES !
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-13-2016, 07:55 PM

Garage
If I was to get a 1700 Classic, I would find a way to mount a Nomad seat to it lol

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode