Shifting the 1700 Classic LT? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Demoliton Man
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-11-2016, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Glamgirrl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Ontario
Year/Make/Model: 2012 Vulcan Vaquero
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Royal Blue
Gender: Female
Posts: 34
Garage
Question Shifting the 1700 Classic LT?

So I just picked up my 2009 1700 Classic LT the other day, and I'm trying to get used to how different the shifting is from my 900 Classic I just traded in.

Can you guys tell me what speeds you usually shift at? I'm thinking 1st to 2nd at 20km, 2nd to 3rd around 60km, 3rd to 4th at about 80km, into 5th at 100km, and OD around 120km? (I'm in Canada)
Does that seem right? It's been windy as heck here, so it's hard to hear the engine. I rode it the night I picked it up, and I rarely got out of 4th gear, even at 100-11km/hr.

What's the best way to ride it to get half decent fuel economy? Right now it's telling me 14.7L/100km, which is worse than my car! lol (Not that it matters, I'll still ride, but holy moly!)
Thanks for any advice...

2012 Vaquero Bella Blue II
Wolo Horn
Oxford Heated Grips




"Never get between a girl & her motorcycle, unless you're looking to be left in the dust!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Glamgirrl is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-11-2016, 02:53 PM
Senior Member
 
Demoliton Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Hannover, Germany
Year/Make/Model: 2018 Indian Roadmaster
Displacement/CC's: 111 cui
Color: polished bronze over thunder black with silver pinstripe
Gender: Male
Posts: 214
Garage
Depends on which load (single or two rider with or without luggage).

I only use the first to start/take-off. Shift to second just seconds after getting the foot off the ground, so I would think about 5-10kmh.
3 gear around 20 kmh up to 40kmh. 4 from 40 to 55kmh. At 60kmh I'm already in 5th gear. Shifting into 6 around 80kmh.

That's for single riding. When wifey is behind me, I shift a little bit later, but not much. The Voyager got a tach, so most of the time, I do up-shift between 2000 and 2500 rpm and down-shift mostly near 1000 rpm (just a little over idle speed).

THIS is not a racing bike ! With your fuel economy you should shift a lot earlier ! This engine got 135 Nm of peak torque at ~ 2750rpm.
My fuel economy is 5,9l per 100 km.


Cu,
Sven

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb." - Benjamin Franklin

Harley is cult, Victory is cool, but INDIAN is legend !

MY LIFE - MY RULES !
Demoliton Man is offline  
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-11-2016, 05:23 PM
Senior Member
 
Biker Dash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Waterville, Maine (Equestria)
Year/Make/Model: 2011 Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Metallic blue/silver
Gender: Male
Posts: 388
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Biker Dash
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glamgirrl View Post
What's the best way to ride it to get half decent fuel economy? Right now it's telling me 14.7L/100km, which is worse than my car! lol (Not that it matters, I'll still ride, but holy moly!)
Thanks for any advice...
14.7L/100km...

*converts to mpg*

HOLY [BLEEP]! That comes out to 16mpg! I'm getting 40mpg (5.88L/100km) from my Nomad, which is probably a good 45kg heavier than your Classic!

2011 1700 Nomad -- "Princess Celestia"
2003 1500 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 5.9 "Nightmare Moon"
Biker Dash is offline  
 
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-11-2016, 06:56 PM
Top Contributor
 
revrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: syracuse ny
Year/Make/Model: 2010 NOMAD
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Black/titanium
Posts: 1,487
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoliton Man View Post
Depends on which load (single or two rider with or without luggage).

I only use the first to start/take-off. Shift to second just seconds after getting the foot off the ground, so I would think about 5-10kmh.
3 gear around 20 kmh up to 40kmh. 4 from 40 to 55kmh. At 60kmh I'm already in 5th gear. Shifting into 6 around 80kmh.

That's for single riding. When wifey is behind me, I shift a little bit later, but not much. The Voyager got a tach, so most of the time, I do up-shift between 2000 and 2500 rpm and down-shift mostly near 1000 rpm (just a little over idle speed).

THIS is not a racing bike ! With your fuel economy you should shift a lot earlier ! This engine got 135 Nm of peak torque at ~ 2750rpm.
My fuel economy is 5,9l per 100 km.


Cu,
Sven
About the same here,Hardly ever use 6th,mid 30s mpg
revrider is offline  
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-11-2016, 10:30 PM
Top Contributor
 
dlars's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 580
Garage
5th and 6th are overdrive gears. Don't be scared to rev it up either, there's a whole different power band once you get past about 2800

2012 Kawasaki Voyager
Thunder Manufacturing Round Air Kit
Dynojet PCV Fuel Processor
Dynojet AT-300 Autotune Module
Freedom Performance True Dual's (racing Baffles)
Kuryakyn Offset Highway Pegs
Michellin Commander ll's Front & Back
RacnRay's Throttle Grip
iPod Connector
Manual Fan Switch
dlars is offline  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016, 07:20 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Glamgirrl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Ontario
Year/Make/Model: 2012 Vulcan Vaquero
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Royal Blue
Gender: Female
Posts: 34
Garage
I rode to work this morning (brrrr at plus 6 degrees), and kinda followed Sven's advice. I was in 5th around 80 km/hr, and OD at 100km/hr. My litres/km dropped down to 6.7 pretty quick, so I guess that's the ticket!

It seems to me that OD is really for cruising along the highway over 100km/hr, right? Drop it to 5th if I need to scoot past someone? I'm sorry if these questions seem obvious to you folks, but I don't have anyone to teach me this stuff, and I'm trying to figure it out myself. I'm not mechanically inclined either, other than doing my own oil changes. The 900 only had 5 gears, so once I hit about 80, it was just giv'er! lol
Thanks,

2012 Vaquero Bella Blue II
Wolo Horn
Oxford Heated Grips




"Never get between a girl & her motorcycle, unless you're looking to be left in the dust!"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Glamgirrl is offline  
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016, 08:51 AM
Senior Member
 
Demoliton Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Hannover, Germany
Year/Make/Model: 2018 Indian Roadmaster
Displacement/CC's: 111 cui
Color: polished bronze over thunder black with silver pinstripe
Gender: Male
Posts: 214
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlars View Post
5th and 6th are overdrive gears. Don't be scared to rev it up either, there's a whole different power band once you get past about 2800
I'm not scared, I know that, BUT why ? This is not a racer. It is a cruiser. So i ride it like a cruiser.


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Quote:
Originally Posted by Glamgirrl View Post
I rode to work this morning (brrrr at plus 6 degrees), and kinda followed Sven's advice. I was in 5th around 80 km/hr, and OD at 100km/hr. My litres/km dropped down to 6.7 pretty quick, so I guess that's the ticket!

It seems to me that OD is really for cruising along the highway over 100km/hr, right? Drop it to 5th if I need to scoot past someone? I'm sorry if these questions seem obvious to you folks, but I don't have anyone to teach me this stuff, and I'm trying to figure it out myself. I'm not mechanically inclined either, other than doing my own oil changes. The 900 only had 5 gears, so once I hit about 80, it was just giv'er! lol
Thanks,
I know the 900 got only 5 gears and felt like it could used a 6th. But if they hat pu in a 6-speed tranny, the fuel tank would boil over, due to the extreme good fuel economy of the 900 engine, even with only 5 gears. Just joking.

If you need to get past someone fast, just drop to 5th. But, the 1700 is a cruiser not a sportbike, so . . .
Normally, your milage should be between 5,5 and 6,5 liter per 100 Km - depending on traffic, headwind, weight (single, double, luggage) or a heavy right hand !

Cu,
Sven
Glamgirrl and Biker Dash like this.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb." - Benjamin Franklin

Harley is cult, Victory is cool, but INDIAN is legend !

MY LIFE - MY RULES !
Demoliton Man is offline  
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-12-2016, 06:12 PM
Senior Member
 
Biker Dash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Waterville, Maine (Equestria)
Year/Make/Model: 2011 Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Metallic blue/silver
Gender: Male
Posts: 388
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Biker Dash
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoliton Man View Post
I'm not scared, I know that, BUT why ? This is not a racer. It is a cruiser. So i ride it like a cruiser.
YUS! It took me hitting a bit, but I found out that I wanted to just cruise, and a big cruiser is perfect for that. My Nomad may be a big bike, but it can cruise around town just as well as a 900 can, and I have a seat I find more comfortable than any 900 has, too.

2011 1700 Nomad -- "Princess Celestia"
2003 1500 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 5.9 "Nightmare Moon"
Biker Dash is offline  
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-13-2016, 09:19 AM
Senior Member
 
Demoliton Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Hannover, Germany
Year/Make/Model: 2018 Indian Roadmaster
Displacement/CC's: 111 cui
Color: polished bronze over thunder black with silver pinstripe
Gender: Male
Posts: 214
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker Dash View Post
YUS! It took me hitting a bit, but I found out that I wanted to just cruise, and a big cruiser is perfect for that. My Nomad may be a big bike, but it can cruise around town just as well as a 900 can, and I have a seat I find more comfortable than any 900 has, too.
You're right. The stock seat is very comfortable - way more than the 900. On my 900, i swapped the seat after only one week for a saddleman one.


Cu,
Sven

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb." - Benjamin Franklin

Harley is cult, Victory is cool, but INDIAN is legend !

MY LIFE - MY RULES !
Demoliton Man is offline  
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-13-2016, 07:55 PM
Senior Member
 
Biker Dash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Waterville, Maine (Equestria)
Year/Make/Model: 2011 Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Metallic blue/silver
Gender: Male
Posts: 388
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Biker Dash
If I was to get a 1700 Classic, I would find a way to mount a Nomad seat to it lol

2011 1700 Nomad -- "Princess Celestia"
2003 1500 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 5.9 "Nightmare Moon"
Biker Dash is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
900 classic lt shifting issues steveslt Vulcan 900 12 07-12-2015 06:22 PM
Toe shifting or Heel shifting William C Vulcan 1700 29 07-14-2013 11:31 AM
Cheapest NOMAD in Phoenix >>>$3995<<<< louichie Bikes For Sale 1 12-08-2011 04:14 PM
2009 Vulcan 900 classic LT or 2010 Vulcan 1700 Classic LT? BA Hatchet New Riders 30 02-24-2011 02:35 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome