another Voyager Bafflectomy - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-21-2016, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: 2015 Voyager
Color: Black/Spark Grey Metallic
another Voyager Bafflectomy

So I finally put my big boy pants on and did the deed, only 1 plate per side and I'm super pleased with the result.

The bike didn't get noticeably louder, but as someone else here describe it.... "darker". Deeper with a bit of a chop when rolling onto the throttle.

My pipes have gotten progressively louder with the the kms ticking by and there's a nice low throb at 110km/h bone stock, with the plates out it sounds deeper and richer, just what the doctor ordered.

I had a bit of an "oh S&*T" moment: when the saw punched through the plate is the same instant it came of the mandrel. ruh-roh, all that came out of the pipe was the extension. Didn't start to panic just yet, fired the bike up, twisted the throttle and out popped the hole saw. Lucky

Anyone that wants a richer sound without the bike being stupid loud with slip ons, this is the way to go!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-21-2016, 07:44 PM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2013 Voyager
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Blue/Black
Good story. You are lucky the hole saw popped out when you started it. Might as well take the 2nd baffle out too. I did both at the same time and don't regret it at all.

Kawasaki rear speakers
VN 1500 Kickstand
Ipod adapter
Kuryakyn Longhorn Offset Highway Pegs
Garmin 390LM w/TPMS
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-21-2016, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

I'm happy with one. Why? One's loud enough that now the stereo has a hard time competing with it on the highway. Next project. Seeing how the bafflectomy went.... I'll pay a pro.
Demoliton Man likes this.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-21-2016, 09:31 PM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2013 Voyager
Color: Blue/Black
You're probably right. I did have to bump up the stereo volume about 2 notches.

Kawasaki rear speakers
VN 1500 Kickstand
Ipod adapter
Kuryakyn Longhorn Offset Highway Pegs
Garmin 390LM w/TPMS
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-22-2016, 08:48 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2018 Indian Roadmaster
Displacement/CC's: 111 cui
Color: polished bronze over thunder black with silver pinstripe
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by otter View Post
So I finally put my big boy pants on and did the deed, only 1 plate per side and I'm super pleased with the result.

The bike didn't get noticeably louder, but as someone else here describe it.... "darker". Deeper with a bit of a chop when rolling onto the throttle.

My pipes have gotten progressively louder with the the kms ticking by and there's a nice low throb at 110km/h bone stock, with the plates out it sounds deeper and richer, just what the doctor ordered.
Anyone that wants a richer sound without the bike being stupid loud with slip ons, this is the way to go!

Did the same to mine incl. a K&N Airfilter. I like it.

Cu,
Sven

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb." - Benjamin Franklin

Harley is cult, Victory is cool, but INDIAN is legend !

MY LIFE - MY RULES !
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-22-2016, 01:12 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoliton Man View Post
Did the same to mine incl. a K&N Airfilter. I like it.

Cu,
Sven
I did both of mine right after the 600 mile service was done, the only service done by the dealer. I had a Thunder air kit on mine for quite a while, then removed because of the noise. Do intend to get a K&N, and am wondering what improvements to expect, mileage, throttle response, and such. I rarely get over 3000 rpm, so top end power not a big deal to me. I am using a Gman fuel controller.

2005 800 classic
2012 Voyager ABS
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-22-2016, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

Here's what she sounds like, apologies for the noise involved in securing my phone in my jacket.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B43...ew?usp=sharing
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 08:16 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2018 Indian Roadmaster
Displacement/CC's: 111 cui
Color: polished bronze over thunder black with silver pinstripe
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick View Post
I did both of mine right after the 600 mile service was done, the only service done by the dealer. I had a Thunder air kit on mine for quite a while, then removed because of the noise. Do intend to get a K&N, and am wondering what improvements to expect, mileage, throttle response, and such. I rarely get over 3000 rpm, so top end power not a big deal to me. I am using a Gman fuel controller.
Don't know if it will get more milage, cauz I did all at once. The throttle response was better (after the debaffle, the Airfilter AND the US-Airduct (the european model only got 2 openings and the US one has three openings to get air into the filter housing)).

I get an average of 5.9 liters per 100 kilometers (39.86 mpg) while riding to work ~ 12 kms and some highway riding up to 100 kph/ 60 mph.

Cu,
Sven

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner.
Liberty is a well-armed lamb." - Benjamin Franklin

Harley is cult, Victory is cool, but INDIAN is legend !

MY LIFE - MY RULES !
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-17-2016, 04:35 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2015 Kawasaki Voyager
Color: Black/Green Pinstripe
Quote:
Originally Posted by otter View Post

I had a bit of an "oh S&*T" moment: when the saw punched through the plate is the same instant it came of the mandrel. ruh-roh, all that came out of the pipe was the extension. Didn't start to panic just yet, fired the bike up, twisted the throttle and out popped the hole saw. Lucky

Had the same "oh shit" moment. Extension came out and the hole saw stayed in. TWICE. But because I'm an idiot, after getting it out on the first pipe, I did the other pipe. This time after breaking thru it stayed in there loose and I couldn't fish it out (the orber was prettty messed up by this time)). I remembered it happening to you and you blowing it out but no luck with me. I then took a ride trying to blow it out and that sucker wouldn't come. Finally I stopped at my car wrench's shop and he got it out with a magnet (which was my next move). Anyway, sounds great. Think I'll wait and see if I want to do the second plate.

2015 Vulcan Voyager
2006 1600 Nomad
2002 1500 Classic FI (deceased)
2002 750 Honda ACE (deceased)
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-19-2016, 01:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erilflynn View Post
Had the same "oh shit" moment. Extension came out and the hole saw stayed in. TWICE. But because I'm an idiot, after getting it out on the first pipe, I did the other pipe. This time after breaking thru it stayed in there loose and I couldn't fish it out (the orber was prettty messed up by this time)). I remembered it happening to you and you blowing it out but no luck with me. I then took a ride trying to blow it out and that sucker wouldn't come. Finally I stopped at my car wrench's shop and he got it out with a magnet (which was my next move). Anyway, sounds great. Think I'll wait and see if I want to do the second plate.
I've got you beat in the idiot department. I destroyed the mandrel, the extension and my 1/2" drill while doing the deed. How? Couldn't find the chuck key for my drill, unlike a cordless, hand tightening the chuck isn't a good idea, nor is hand tightening everything else. On the first pipe, the extension slipped a bit inside the chuck. I didn't notice the damage... things had started to strip. Oh well, on to pipe #2. Just as the saw was making its way through the plate, the extension really started to slip inside the chuck... f-it, I'm almost there. As the saw punched through, a few things happened at the same time: The saw end flew apart, depositing the saw inside the pipe and the saw extension finished completely rounding off the drill chuck just as everything flew apart. Wife was out of town and I was thisclose to calling my mechanic to get his ass over for a cash job before she found out. Cooler heads prevailed and I got the drill out of the pipe. Told my dealership the story, they stopped short of calling me an idiot but did mention that revving the bike with the drill stuck inside the pipe could have netted me a bent valve. I do call bs on that, I think there's a crossover between the pipes.

Anyway, I felt pretty dumb, but do like the improved sound of my bike.

Pro-tip... don't hand tighten anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode