Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Voyager coolant leak

4K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  GGB6259 
#1 · (Edited)
Long story but need the expert help-

Ran 300 miles down to Chillicothe Ohio for the Easy Riders Rodeo Saturday.
No issues and bike ran fine.

About 100+ miles from home notice temp gauge was rising fast in the cities. Red light and stop signs.
Pulled over to gas up about 80- miles out and noticed coolant on the tube behind rear cylinder. I had white chalk on the
lower case and when I wiped the tube coming out of the rear cyclinder got some coolant just a tad. I had seen this previously
and was going to do the coolant flush and go through hoses in the next two weeks when weather turns. That and pull PVC and
do the Ivans ECU upgrade.

Had to ride it home and I watched gauge like a paranoid schitzo. Running down the highway at 70+ (2200RPM - 2500 rpm) the gauge
would sit just shy of center. If I dropped down to 45-55 in construction zones it would creep up. At any stop sign it would climb pretty
fast but I never sat long enough to see it go over the first mark past center.

I'm guessing I'm way down on coolant and will dive into it today. Hoping it's only an upper hose and nothing more..

I've Tinkers coolant change thread printed out sitting in the garage... so that's what I will be doing today.

Crossing my fingers no real damage has been done.

Anything else to look for?

Thanks

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
The 1st mark past center is normally where the fan kicks in anyways so I wouldn't worry too much about it unless it keeps climbing past that point. If it had gotten too hot you would have had a warning light plus the gauge would have been into the red. What's the highest the gauge read. I would start with the little container under your side cover and see where the coolant level is in there. I had a leak in the exact spot you're talking about It leaked when the bike cooled off. I ended up adding about 1/2 liter of pre-mixed coolant to the overflow bottle after tightening that one hose.

#4 ·
Correct, no warning light on the voyager.

Here in germany, as we had temps between 88°F and 100°F (28°C - 38°C) during this summer, my temp gauge went up to the last WHITE mark on the gauge while stting at a red light, etc. After taking off and driving outside city limits and/or the highway, temp drops down again.

Cu,
Sven

#5 ·
Ok so I have the the bike in process of doing a flush and checking for a leak.

I warmed it up but DID NOT let the fan kick in.

Removed tank.
Let it cool down a bit and started looking at hoses.
I do not see a leak and all hoses appear to be tight.

I have what appear to be chalking form dried coolant on the overflow hose.
and I know I'm getting coolant puddling on the metal tube mounted to the rear cylinder
that goes from between the cylinders down to the left side lower case. When I was
headed home I could wipe this area off and I would get yellow so I know I have a
small leak.

I pulled radiator cap and coolant is visible almost to the top. Pic #3

Over flow tank has coolant just shy of the high mark. Coolant is dark.

Looking for brainiacs out there.. Radiator cap, I've heard of a few failing or possible the thermostat
or O ring for the stat housing.

I'll grab my service manual and see if it could be the fitting at that metal coolant line from front cylinder
to lower case.

Stumped at this time...

gb

#7 ·
Not 100% sure yet. I followed Tinkers coolant change as noted above ran it on the lift and it seems to be working correctly.
The overflow tank did change level after two warm up cycles on the lift. I'm planning on getting out this week yet and push it.
If it does the same thing then I'm swapping the thermostat. It's varaible opening based on what the service manual has.

The other thing is the metal tube and how that is put together. I'm going to ask a dealer about that. I saw some comments that
others had a minor leak with this tube as well. But in my case it was small..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.