New Tires and Front End Shimmy - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-31-2016, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2011 Nomad
Displacement/CC's: 1700
New Tires and Front End Shimmy

Hi guys,

Just had a pair of Michelin Commander IIs put on my 1700 Nomad at 10,400 miles. Rode great the first 50 or so miles. Then I started noticing some shimmy (slight wobble in the handle bars) while cornering only to the left. Then it became a slight pulse even while going straight.

What's going on? Balance? Alignment? Bad tire?

I ordered the tires off Amazon and had a shop put them on. Seeking guidance from others who may have experienced the same with these tires before going back to the shop.

Happy and safe riding,
Dan

2011 Nomad: Black & Metallic Gray, Chuckster's Light Bar, Rac'nRay's Throttle Mod, Homemade Oversize Lowers, Kawasaki Trunk, Ivan's Flash

Past:
2014 900 Classic LT: (Sold to a happy buyer)
1975 Suzuki GT 185 (Great little twin)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-31-2016, 06:38 PM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2012 Kawasaki Nomad
Color: Red|Silver
Garage
Sounds like you might have a slight separation (based solely on the information you provided). Especially if right is all good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I grabbed a fistful of throttle and all my worries disappeared.
|| Former President | Vulcan Riders Association | Chapter 1-30 ||
|| 2012 Kawasaki Nomad | EJK Fuel Controller | Vance & Hines Twin Slash Cut | Thunder Manufacturing BAK ||
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-31-2016, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayes View Post
Sounds like you might have a slight separation (based solely on the information you provided). Especially if right is all good.

Hey man, thanks. What do you mean to "separation?" Is it the tire seal coming loose? Does that cause leakage? It seems to be holding air.

My first reaction to these tires leaving the shop was "wow, that's way smoother than the old one." But now it's worse because of the wobble.

Happy and safe riding,
Dan

2011 Nomad: Black & Metallic Gray, Chuckster's Light Bar, Rac'nRay's Throttle Mod, Homemade Oversize Lowers, Kawasaki Trunk, Ivan's Flash

Past:

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-31-2016, 06:44 PM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
The belts on the tire aren't sitting like they were built. It's hard to explain. I'm on my phone, if you haven't gotten a better explanation when I'm on a computer, I'll write better.

|| 2012 Kawasaki Nomad | EJK Fuel Controller | Vance & Hines Twin Slash Cut | Thunder Manufacturing BAK ||
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-01-2016, 05:17 PM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Quote:
Tread Separation

One of the most common modes of tire failure is tread separation which occurs when the plies of a tire separate from one another. Usually, the tread (with or without attached plies) separates from the carcass or inner plies, exposing the inner liner, belts, and cords. As used in this context, the ply includes one of the steel belts encased in a rubber compound.

Tires are built in layers on a tire building machine while the rubber layers and rubber coated fabrics and belts are in an uncured or “green” state. The fully assembled tire (with all components in their proper places) is then subjected to high temperature and pressure, over time, to cure or vulcanize the assembly. It is this vulcanization process which gives the tire its desired physical properties and bonds the multiple layers or plies of rubber together (both mechanically and chemically) so that they can function as a unit.
That's a good description. Basically, the belts are positioned in a way that ride smooth. When they shift, it can cause a bubble in the tire. It can be hard to see at first, but as the tire wears you will be able to see it. You will get a seemingly random flat spot.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-01-2016, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayes View Post
That's a good description. Basically, the belts are positioned in a way that ride smooth. When they shift, it can cause a bubble in the tire. It can be hard to see at first, but as the tire wears you will be able to see it. You will get a seemingly random flat spot.
This a brand new tire. Are you guys saying I've got a lemon?

Past:
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-01-2016, 10:42 PM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
It very well could be a manufacturer defect. I only think that because you said it wobbles on left and straight. If it's smooth on right turns, it means that something only on left and straight is causing a problem. Have the tire inspected by the shop that installed it, have them re-balance, and go from there.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-02-2016, 06:45 AM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2010 kawasaki Nomad
Color: 2-tone Metallic Diablo Black/Metallic Titanium
Garage
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by VulcanDan61 View Post
Hi guys,

Just had a pair of Michelin Commander IIs put on my 1700 Nomad at 10,400 miles. Rode great the first 50 or so miles. Then I started noticing some shimmy (slight wobble in the handle bars) while cornering only to the left. Then it became a slight pulse even while going straight.

What's going on? Balance? Alignment? Bad tire?

I ordered the tires off Amazon and had a shop put them on. Seeking guidance from others who may have experienced the same with these tires before going back to the shop.

Happy and safe riding,
Dan
VulcanDan61, I'm getting ready to order one of these tires on Amazon. Do you know what vendor it came from? (Motorcycle Superstore, Chaparral Motorsports, etc)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Only a Biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window."
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-02-2016, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad2010 View Post
VulcanDan61, I'm getting ready to order one of these tires on Amazon. Do you know what vendor it came from? (Motorcycle Superstore, Chaparral Motorsports, etc)
Hey Nomad,

My tires came from oemcycles via Amazon. Still feeling some shimmy. Going back to quiz the dealer when I get a chance.

Happy and safe riding,
Dan

Past:
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-16-2016, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Still getting wobble. Worse on left turns at maybe 20-45. A little at that speed going straight and turning right. Not much at high speed turning left, right, or straight. Didn't happen before putting on the Commander IIs. Any further thoughts?

Past:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode