Looking at buying a Voyager or Vaquero? Little help please. - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-30-2016, 07:06 PM Thread Starter

Question Looking at buying a Voyager or Vaquero? Little help please.

Hey guys!

New to the forum. But not new to ridding.

I'm looking at buying a Voyager 1700, or a Vaquero 1700. I have not decided on one, or the other just yet.

I like the looks of the Vaquero better, but I like having the storage, and passenger comfort of the Voyager. So I'm still not sure what I will buy. (Wife dose ride on the back some times, but most of the time she rides her own bike.)

I have a few questions for you guys if you don't mind.

First, is there anything on one, that's not on the other that I might really want?

Second, are there any known problems with them? If so what?
And is there any thing a potential owner should know before buying?
Do these 1700 have good power? (Used to an 1800)
Is there any expensive maintenance things I should know about?
What is the most common things done to gain more power?
And what kind of power numbers do these bikes make after they have had these things installed?
Never owned a belt drive bike, only shaft drive, anything I should know?

My current bike is a 2003 Honda VTX 1800C. I like the bike, but it has NO storage, no audio, no cruse control, no anything really. Its a bare bones cruiser. Its fun, but its not the best for longer rides. I LOVE the power it has, and how well it handles and stops, but I think its time to move on to something that better suits my needs.

I ride an hour + all the time. And 300 miles in a day is not uncommon for me. I would like to ride longer, but with no storage for gear, the small fuel tank, and the vary basic layout of the bike, its just not much fun to ride more then a few hours at a time, so 300 miles is about the most I ever do in a day.

I do not plan to sell the bike for while, and am considering buying a new one. Tho if I can find a good used one, that is an option. Dealers around here are nuts tho, and think they can sell these bikes at 2-3 years old, with around 4k on them for 13-14k. I have found several bikes on line new for the same price.

What is a good price for a used one?
Say 1-4 years old, with 1,000-7,000 miles on it in good condition.

Thanks for the help guys!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-30-2016, 08:44 PM
Top Contributor

South Bend Craigslist has/had a 2011 Voyager pipes/tuner, mustang seat, 12,000 miles asking $8900
https://southbend.craigslist.org/mcy/5734543901.html

Screaming deal.....

Gary

SW Michigan

2009 Kawasaki Voyager

Last edited by GGB6259; 08-30-2016 at 08:52 PM.
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-30-2016, 09:00 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2010 NOMAD
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Black/titanium
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badmunky View Post
Hey guys!

New to the forum. But not new to ridding.

I'm looking at buying a Voyager 1700, or a Vaquero 1700. I have not decided on one, or the other just yet.

I like the looks of the Vaquero better, but I like having the storage, and passenger comfort of the Voyager. So I'm still not sure what I will buy. (Wife dose ride on the back some times, but most of the time she rides her own bike.)

I have a few questions for you guys if you don't mind.

First, is there anything on one, that's not on the other that I might really want?

Second, are there any known problems with them? If so what?
And is there any thing a potential owner should know before buying?
Do these 1700 have good power? (Used to an 1800)
Is there any expensive maintenance things I should know about?
What is the most common things done to gain more power?
And what kind of power numbers do these bikes make after they have had these things installed?
Never owned a belt drive bike, only shaft drive, anything I should know?

My current bike is a 2003 Honda VTX 1800C. I like the bike, but it has NO storage, no audio, no cruse control, no anything really. Its a bare bones cruiser. Its fun, but its not the best for longer rides. I LOVE the power it has, and how well it handles and stops, but I think its time to move on to something that better suits my needs.

I ride an hour + all the time. And 300 miles in a day is not uncommon for me. I would like to ride longer, but with no storage for gear, the small fuel tank, and the vary basic layout of the bike, its just not much fun to ride more then a few hours at a time, so 300 miles is about the most I ever do in a day.

I do not plan to sell the bike for while, and am considering buying a new one. Tho if I can find a good used one, that is an option. Dealers around here are nuts tho, and think they can sell these bikes at 2-3 years old, with around 4k on them for 13-14k. I have found several bikes on line new for the same price.

What is a good price for a used one?
Say 1-4 years old, with 1,000-7,000 miles on it in good condition.

Thanks for the help guys!!!
Agree w ya on looks,,seems you plan on long trips,would choose the voyager,
imo,love my nad

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-31-2016, 01:05 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Vulacan Voyager
Color: Red/Gray
Garage
Don't know much difference between the Voyager and Vaquero, no driving lights or trunk on the Vaquero. I have a 2014 Voyager and really like it. I haven't done any mods yet for more power, I'm okay with the stock bike. At 900 lbs. it's a bit heavier than your Honda. Definitely not a go fast bike! Very comfortable for daily riding. I haven't taken any long rides yet, only 450-500 in one day. No problem at all. I just retired, so the longer trips are on the way! You can't go wrong with either one, but I like all the storage space and looks of the Voyager.

They call me Pop Pop because I'm too cool to be called grandfather!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-31-2016, 04:44 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
IMO, the Vaquaro is for solo riding with the occasional short ride with a passenger. I only like the look of the stock bike.

The Voyager in stock form is way more comfortable, and provides better weather protection. The bags are easier to use as well.

2010 Vulcan Voyager 1700 ABS, 2007 Vulcan Mean Streak 1600
2012 Concours 1400, 2011 Versys 650, 2012 KLX250S

see my garage for list of accessories
post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-31-2016, 06:28 PM

I bought a used 2015 Voyager about a month ago with 1250 kilometers on it, and most of the 3-year warranty remaining. An old fellow hurt his back a month after buying it this Spring, and could no longer ride. It's a perfect highway cruiser. At 130 kph (80 mph) it easily cruises 350 kilometers before the fuel message shows up, has a huge amount of storage space, and rides soft like a Cadillac. I haven't even looked to see what the shock settings are, or even if they are aired up - only adjusted the tire pressure. I've put a Stebel air horn on it, a flashing brake light, a manual cooling fan switch, and heat-wrapped the rear exhaust pipe. Although I wish it had another 50 horsepower, I think I'm just going to drive this one as is. As a data point, this is bike number 13 in the past four or five years, and by far the most comfortable of them all. Buy one, you'll like it.

2015 Kawasaki Voyager ABS VN1700-B
Kriss brake light flasher and 911 signal Firefly on the top case LED, Stebel air horn, rear header wrap, manual fan switch, garage door opener button, LED driving light bulbs and an amber LED driving-light-on indicator on the dash.
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-01-2016, 07:14 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2010 Vulcan Voyager
What he said above.
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-03-2016, 01:34 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys!!!!!

I have been doing a lot of reading n this bike, and it seams that most owners are vary happy with them.

I may be waiting until spring to buy one tho.

A buddy of mine wants my current bike, but can't buy it for another month or so. (End of the season, or close, here in Mi.)

So seeing as I would get vary little ride time in before I would park it for the year, I think I will hold off, and pick one up just before the start of the ridding season, or mid winter when they will be cheaper.

Do you guys that buying in the winter/ early spring is a good idea?
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-03-2016, 03:12 PM

Buy one in the late Fall from someone that has given up riding, or doesn't want to store it for the Winter. Or buy it during the Winter. If you wait for Spring, you'll be one of many buyers dealing with sellers who have the expectation of getting a high price. I buy used bikes for cash, usually at a high discount from unreasonable asking prices. Determine what you want to pay, offer it, and start counting out $100 bills in front of the seller. When they stop looking at you, and concentrate of the money, you know you've got a deal. I have yet to pay as much as I was prepared to pay. Don't forget to check for a clear title, though. Good luck, safe riding, and enjoy the Voyager.

2015 Kawasaki Voyager ABS VN1700-B
Kriss brake light flasher and 911 signal Firefly on the top case LED, Stebel air horn, rear header wrap, manual fan switch, garage door opener button, LED driving light bulbs and an amber LED driving-light-on indicator on the dash.
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-03-2016, 05:23 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2010 NOMAD
Color: Black/titanium
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillF6531 View Post
Buy one in the late Fall from someone that has given up riding, or doesn't want to store it for the Winter. Or buy it during the Winter. If you wait for Spring, you'll be one of many buyers dealing with sellers who have the expectation of getting a high price. I buy used bikes for cash, usually at a high discount from unreasonable asking prices. Determine what you want to pay, offer it, and start counting out $100 bills in front of the seller. When they stop looking at you, and concentrate of the money, you know you've got a deal. I have yet to pay as much as I was prepared to pay. Don't forget to check for a clear title, though. Good luck, safe riding, and enjoy the Voyager.
Yup just what he said,,,bought my nad in late winter,paid a grand less than asking trailered it home w snow on the ground
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode