Stock exhaust head pipes - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-22-2016, 09:03 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2013 Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad 1700
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Titanium and Black
Lightbulb Stock exhaust head pipes

Ok, These may be the dumbest questions ever asked on this forum. But, as a retired person I have a lot of time to daydream and tinker.

I have removed the first two baffles from my '13 Vulcan 1700 Nomad mufflers. I am not looking for more volume. I want to keep the catalytic converters intact. What I am wondering about is finding a way to convert the head pipes to a true dual exhaust. I have done Ivan's ECU flash.

I think the stock head pipes could be modified to make this happen and even keep the chrome shields where they are. Has anyone ever considered this? What would the affect of this be on the sound of the pipes? Is there any advantage to true duals as opposed to 2-1-2?

2013 Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad 1700
Ultimate Seat with Driver Backrest
Ivan's ECU flash 2
Freedom performance Slip on mufflers
Luverne Kawasaki Lowering Kit
Batwing fairing
Darkside 205/60/16 with Endeavor reversed trike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-22-2016, 07:36 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Hmm, I've been on this forum a long time and I don't remember reading of anyone doing that.

The only true duals I know of is the ones built in US.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 Vulcan Voyager ABS/ my "Blue Goose"
BIG 3 = PCV w/ Ign/Cobra Slip-ons/Thunder Air Kit
Kuryakyn "Longhorn Offset Highway Pegs"
Air Hawk2 seat cusion/Remote Control for house
National Cycle Fender Tips//Utopia Back Rest
Gorilla Alarm/Strebel Air Horn/14 in. Dark Shield
Kaw Rear Speakers/Galfer Break Pads
Garmin GPS, RAM mounted on break reservoir
Chrome Mug Holder/Extra Chrome/Wrapped Pipes
Flags and Mounts from "Rumbling Pride"
Dunlop SP5000 Car Tire /AMSOIL & Filter
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-22-2016, 08:07 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
From a pure performance point of view the 2 into 1 is the best from what I have read. Freedom Performance VAQUERO | NOMAD ||DUALS RACING 4? -Freedom Performance Exhaust makes a set that some swear by but just look odd to me because instead of evening out the pipe lengths by taking the rear jug pipe under the bike they do the opposite and exaggerate the longer front pipe by taking it under the bike. Like you say I think it could be done using the stock shields. The bike would probably need to be dyno tuned after the work though.

Let us know if you take this project on I would like to know the outcome

10 Voyager
01 1500 Drifter
VRA Central Alabama Chapter 1-61

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 07:08 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS Tinker View Post
From a pure performance point of view the 2 into 1 is the best from what I have read. Freedom Performance VAQUERO | NOMAD ||DUALS RACING 4? -Freedom Performance Exhaust makes a set that some swear by but just look odd to me because instead of evening out the pipe lengths by taking the rear jug pipe under the bike they do the opposite and exaggerate the longer front pipe by taking it under the bike. Like you say I think it could be done using the stock shields. The bike would probably need to be dyno tuned after the work though.

Let us know if you take this project on I would like to know the outcome
I am still considering the project. I do wish I had some expert advice on the effect on the engine. I plan to call Ivan and see whether he thinks the ECU will handle it ok. I have bought a used set of Nomad head pipes to help figure out how to do it. Later..

Ivan's ECU flash 2
Batwing fairing
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 07:25 AM

Send a message via AIM to Vulcan Hammer Send a message via Skype™ to Vulcan Hammer
True duals may look cool, but I'm pretty sure you would lose power unless they were very long and balanced in length...even then they would likely not perform as well as a good 2-into-1 (as previously noted) or a system with a crossover pipe.

That's why most motorcycle dual exhausts have a crossover pipe and most cars have an x-pipe...
The crossover helps with exhaust scavenging and improves performance.

Personally, I think you are looking for a project, but you may be wasting your time on something that does not need to be fixed!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 07:45 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan Hammer View Post
True duals may look cool, but I'm pretty sure you would lose power unless they were very long and balanced in length...even then they would likely not perform as well as a good 2-into-1 (as previously noted) or a system with a crossover pipe.

That's why most motorcycle dual exhausts have a crossover pipe and most cars have an x-pipe...
The crossover helps with exhaust scavenging and improves performance.

Personally, I think you are looking for a project, but you may be wasting your time on something that does not need to be fixed!
Performance is the only reason I am interested in considering this. What I'm proposing would look exactly as the stock system looks, so there is no "look cool" factor. I admit that I am looking for a project, but I don't want to waste my time if there is no performance gain. I guess I considered that true duals would increase performance. I need to do more reading, but thanks for the input.

Ivan's ECU flash 2
Batwing fairing
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 11:30 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2015 Voyager
Generally speaking, there are no performance advantages from true duals on anything less than a full blown race engine.
A good 2-into-1, 3-into-1, 4-into-1 exhaust (depending on total cylinders) will produce more overall power than using an individual pipe/muffler for each cylinder.

You might gain a very small amount of power at the extreme upper RPM range, but the power lost below that range will outweigh any gain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode