Ivan ECU flash and air intake kit - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-16-2016, 08:04 AM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: 2013 Nomad
Ivan ECU flash and air intake kit

I am interested in hearing from those who had their ECU flashed by Ivan then later added an air intake kit. We all know the ECU flash makes a huge difference in performance. I am wondering how much more performance adding an air kit would make after the ECU flash, not at the same time. I won't be getting my ECU flashed for a few more months and suspect I will not feel the need for an air kit afterward but am curious as to what those who did these upgrades separately experienced.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-16-2016, 08:07 AM
Top Contributor

An intake makes a world of difference on the bike, especially with Ivan's flash. It will run better and cooler.

2012 Vaquero Candy Lime Green/Black
1700 Nomad (Deceased)
Cobra Tri-Oval Exhaust
Racnrays Invention (Throttle Mod)
Ivan's Flash
Thunder Tornado Air Kit
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-16-2016, 09:51 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2015 Voyager
Check with Ivan for info on your specific setup. But if I remember correctly he has 2 flash versions for the 1700, 1 for the stock air box and 1 for air kits.

I did the flash and an air kit at the same time. The difference is night and day on my 2015. Improvements across the board.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 11:18 AM

Garage
I am waiting for my ECU to come back today. I spoke with Ivan Monday and he told me that you will only get 4-8 extra horsepower by adding the air kit and that will only be above 3500-4000 rpm. I don't really ride in that range much so I opted not to get it. There may be other benefits that you could look into though.

Check out the page for the V1700 on Ivan's page. Lots of graphs at the bottom that will show performance with/without the ECU flash and other addons.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corwin38 View Post
I am waiting for my ECU to come back today. I spoke with Ivan Monday and he told me that you will only get 4-8 extra horsepower by adding the air kit and that will only be above 3500-4000 rpm. I don't really ride in that range much so I opted not to get it. There may be other benefits that you could look into though.

Check out the page for the V1700 on Ivan's page. Lots of graphs at the bottom that will show performance with/without the ECU flash and other addons.
This is precisely the kind of information I was looking for. Knowing that, I will not be spending the money on an air kit. I'm shifting by that point anyhow. I'll have to go view those dyno charts and see how they compare to the modded Victory I had a couple of years ago.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 11:32 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpionsix View Post
This is precisely the kind of information I was looking for. Knowing that, I will not be spending the money on an air kit. I'm shifting by that point anyhow. I'll have to go view those dyno charts and see how they compare to the modded Victory I had a couple of years ago.
Sounds good. And don't worry, Ivan will talk to you at length about your riding style and what you need/don't need.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 11:58 PM

A 5 - 10% horsepower gain from a $200 air kit is Cheap. Seldom you'll buy H.P. that cheaply. Course if you won't use it, might as well not pay for it.

I use it every chance I get
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-18-2016, 07:34 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Dub View Post
A 5 - 10% horsepower gain from a $200 air kit is Cheap. Seldom you'll buy H.P. that cheaply. Course if you won't use it, might as well not pay for it.

I use it every chance I get
I came from a bike where I was taking 35 MPH turns at 80 MPH. (not the afore-mentioned Victory) I am no stranger to using power And yes I know power doesn't equate to handling but the kinds of bikes capable of such things all have considerable power.

I will not be spending much time above 4000 RPMs on this bike but when the time comes, I'll see what Ivan has to say.

Last edited by scorpionsix; 08-18-2016 at 07:36 AM. Reason: updating
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-18-2016, 11:17 AM

Every bike I've owned or ridden has been fun to run through the gears. That stopped being true when I bought the 2015 Voyager. In stock form this thing is a dog, a big heavy dog. It handles great for a big heavy bike but the acceleration is yawn worthy. After doing the big-3 the power is acceptable, nothing more. I knew this going in and I don't regret any of my decisions.

Maybe some day Yamaha will build a new 1700 V-4 Venture and I could have everything, torque, horsepower, comfort and leg/foot room. Until then the Voyager is the best thing I can afford.

Do what works for you. The flash will turn the 1700 around and seriously increase the fun factor. Exhaust and air kits will increase the "fun" even more but they both increase noise levels of the bike. Half the people I ride with have loud pipes so a little extra noise wasn't a deal breaker.

Have fun!
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-18-2016, 01:15 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2011 Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Metallic blue/silver
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Biker Dash
Since we're in the subject of intakes, how much of a restriction is the air horn inside the air filter housing? I know on my old 98 Shadow 750, the air horn was a major restriction, and I got sizable improvement in airflow when I removed it. Would I see an increase in airflow. I would assume I would need an exhaust that flows a bit better as well.

I would just go with an aftermarket intake kit, but I really do like the looks of the stock filter housing.

2011 1700 Nomad -- "Princess Celestia"
2003 1500 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 5.9 "Nightmare Moon"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode