About done with Kawasaki - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-15-2016, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

About done with Kawasaki

Some of you may be aware of the ordeal I had over the last year getting the bike rebuilt after hitting a deer in April of 2015. The process was long and frustrating due to poor communication and Kawasaki's endless list of back ordered parts... Well a couple months ago, we finally got the last pieces of the bike changed and it finally came back home again, this time, it was done right.

In the mean time I hadn't spent any additional money on the bike because I wasn't sure it'd ever be right, so I waited. Once I got it back and I was comfortable I started doing some of the upgrades I had wanted to do and liked many of them...

All the while this debacle was going on my warranty was about to expire and I was sent the extended warranty offer but sadly didn't take advantage of it because I really had no confidence the bike would be done right and I would keep it. Well, on 5/20/16 my warranty expired and along with it went the extended warranty option.

The bike was finally done in July and I thought everything was great, better than new really. So I thought.

This past weekend was my annual ride weekend with a couple buddies. We were meeting at a cabin about 275 miles from here so I decided to ride there instead of trailering. Again, the bike rode great and had zero issues getting there...

Once we got to the cabin we chilled for an hour or so and started off on our first ride of the weekend. Less than 4 miles into the ride, not one but BOTH rear shocks blew out... Oil was everywhere and my bike was like a damned pogo stick. After examining the issue, I limped the bike back to the cabin and parked it.

Not long ago I put progressive 430's on the rear but wasn't too thrilled with them and put the stock air shocks back on but still had the 430's. So my buddies and I road tripped it back home to grab my progressives and my motorcycle lift and headed back to the cabin. Meanwhile we lost a great day to ride but I felt fortunate I had other shocks, was close enough to home to get them and had friends willing to go along.

Start Friday am with a quick replacement of the rear shocks and off we went riding. We only got about 300 miles in and 2 states due to the late start but the bike did great despite still not being in love with the progressives.

Most of Saturday was a bust due to rain but we did manage to get 80 miles or so in that evening and again the bike did great.

Sunday morning we were going to head out for a short ride before heading home but one buddies bike wouldn't start so we decided to pack up and head home.

Despite getting caught in a little rain here and there I made it to Nashville with no issues. I needed to stop for gas before home and when I went to leave again this is where the issues really began...

The shocks were ok and doing their job however when I turned the key and hit the starter I heard a few clicks and my whole bike went black. No electricity AT ALL!

Fortunately I saw a roadside incident assistant at the gas station and he got the bike jumped and off I went. Again the bike did great the rest of the way home. As I pulled into the drive and hit the kill switch, again my bike had no electricity, NONE!

Not once has my bike showed any issue with the charging system or the battery but all of the sudden something is dead and I'm fearful it's the stator...

Here I am, 3 months out of warranty, no extended warranty and really I only had 2 years of riding under warranty, due to the issues with Kawasaki and getting parts, and my bike has fallen apart in one weekend.

I'm so frustrated right now I want to shoot my bike. I should have let them total it in the first place.

Allen D
"ONYX" - 2011 Black Vaquero

Windvest Recurve Windshield | KQR Passenger Backrest | Grasshopper Backrest | Passenger Floorboards | Progressive 430 Shocks | Scala Rider Teamset Pro | Kawasaki XM Radio | Racin' Ray's Throttle Mod | Avon Grips | Ivan's ECU Flash | Shaved Seat with Gel Insert | Wrapped Exhaust | Door Pocket Key Knobs | Vance and Hines Slash Cut Exhaust | Under Bag Brake Lights
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-15-2016, 12:34 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
You did have the option of getting the extended warranty. How many things went wrong with the bike that cost you money while it was under warranty?

2012 Kawasaki Voyager
Thunder Manufacturing Round Air Kit
Dynojet PCV Fuel Processor
Dynojet AT-300 Autotune Module
Freedom Performance True Dual's (racing Baffles)
Kuryakyn Offset Highway Pegs
Michellin Commander ll's Front & Back
RacnRay's Throttle Grip
iPod Connector
Manual Fan Switch

Last edited by dlars; 08-15-2016 at 12:39 PM.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-15-2016, 02:53 PM
Top Contributor

Right after I bought my Voyager, literally 20 miles from where I bought in the hinterlands of Michigan, I needed to fill it up.
Pulled up to the pump and filled up. Went to start and nothing. Not even a light etc.... Bike was a couple of years old with 2200 miles on it.
I dug down to battery with a swiss army knife McGyver style and found the negative terminal had worked it's way loose.

Hopefully that's all you have. That or the harness under the tank that chafs.

Gary

Gary

SW Michigan

2009 Kawasaki Voyager

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-15-2016, 03:41 PM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2013 Voyager
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Blue/Black
Allen, I hope this will be a simple and cheap fix. Were your shocks replaced after the accident? Seems strange that they'd both fail at the same time. Or least to me it's strange, but I'm not a mechanic. For the most part, I've always declined extended warranties. If I keep this bike, I may decide to get one. Good luck.

Kawasaki rear speakers
VN 1500 Kickstand
Ipod adapter
Kuryakyn Longhorn Offset Highway Pegs
Garmin 390LM w/TPMS
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-15-2016, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlars View Post
You did have the option of getting the extended warranty. How many things went wrong with the bike that cost you money while it was under warranty?
I'm going to just forget your first post and address this one...

Sadly, not once was there ever any warranty work done on my bike. It's good and bad, good I didn't need it but bad that while I had it, it wasn't utilized and now it's gone.

Any work that's been done on my bike was mostly insurance work and one recall that didn't coincide with warranty issues.

I'm irritated at the whole situation and mostly at me for just t pulling the trigger on the extended warranty even with the circumstances. T shocks only had 16,300 miles on them an were all put on by me and I know the bike wasn't abused so it seems very premature for them to even wear out let alone just completely explode.

Allen D

Windvest Recurve Windshield | KQR Passenger Backrest | Grasshopper Backrest | Passenger Floorboards | Progressive 430 Shocks | Scala Rider Teamset Pro | Kawasaki XM Radio | Racin' Ray's Throttle Mod | Avon Grips | Ivan's ECU Flash | Shaved Seat with Gel Insert | Wrapped Exhaust | Door Pocket Key Knobs | Vance and Hines Slash Cut Exhaust | Under Bag Brake Lights
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-15-2016, 03:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGB6259 View Post
Right after I bought my Voyager, literally 20 miles from where I bought in the hinterlands of Michigan, I needed to fill it up.
Pulled up to the pump and filled up. Went to start and nothing. Not even a light etc.... Bike was a couple of years old with 2200 miles on it.
I dug down to battery with a swiss army knife McGyver style and found the negative terminal had worked it's way loose.

Hopefully that's all you have. That or the harness under the tank that chafs.

Gary
Gary, yeah I was hoping that too and looked everything over really closely and all was good. I put the charger on the bike all nigh and woke up to a still very dead battery. With the charger on the battery posts just right I could get electricity but barely however, when I went straight to the battery cables, full power.

I took the battery to Napa as well as the dealership to have tested and both confirmed the battery was putting out virtually nothing. It seems it was simply a battery that had given it's last breath.

I have never experienced a motorcycle battery die like that so I never even considered it was the issue. Car batteries give the tell tale signs of dying like slow starts, dim lights before the motor is running etc... This thing was A-OK to start the bike in the AM and 2 hours later flat dead...

New battery is down in the garage charging, here's to hoping that's all it was...

Allen D

post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-15-2016, 03:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn54 View Post
Allen, I hope this will be a simple and cheap fix. Were your shocks replaced after the accident? Seems strange that they'd both fail at the same time. Or least to me it's strange, but I'm not a mechanic. For the most part, I've always declined extended warranties. If I keep this bike, I may decide to get one. Good luck.
Thanks Glenn, yeah it's a bit odd to me too. The dealership mechanics had nothing to say, they'd never seen it before. From what I'm gathering there is no rebuild for them...

Nothing was replaced on the rear of the bike, all damage was contained to gas tank and in front.

I have the 430's on there still but would like air ride back. I'm going to call Kawasaki again tomorrow to see if they'll be of any help.

On to looking at other rear shock options.

Allen D

post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-15-2016, 09:33 PM
Lifetime Premium

Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017

Year/Make/Model: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic
Displacement/CC's: 903
Color: Silver
Garage
Sorry to hear about your problems. Maybe the impact caused a problem not seen by the mechanics. Also, 300 miles and two states? I would take me most of the day just to get out of Texas.

"As long as I have the voices in my head, I'll never ride alone."

2006 Vulcan 900 classic
Mustang Day Tripper seat
Cobra Light Bar
Cobra Air Scoop
Cobra short sissy bar
Cobra Lowers
Baron's front and rear pulley
Baron's Big and Nasty pipes
Leatherlyke hard bags
Blue Superbrites LED accent lights
Chrome Woo Loo Air Horn
Avon Grips
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-16-2016, 10:10 AM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2013 Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad 1700
Color: Titanium and Black
Have you checked the:

IGNITION SWITCH WIRING INSPECTION--Kawasaki Motors Corp., U.S.A. has determined that a problem which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in 2009-2015 Vulcan 1700 Voyager, Voyager ABS, Vaquero, Vaquero ABS.

2013 Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad 1700
Ultimate Seat with Driver Backrest
Ivan's ECU flash 2
Freedom performance Slip on mufflers
Luverne Kawasaki Lowering Kit
Batwing fairing
Darkside 205/60/16 with Endeavor reversed trike
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-16-2016, 10:35 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Color: Orange SE
Garage
Actually, the bike running, then clicking completely dead; sounds more like a connection than charging system. First off, you should get a warning light if the charging system has failed.

Remove the battery cables, and scuff the cables and battery terminals with some sandpaper to clean them. Reinstall, and see if the issue persists. Get a multi-meter, and look at the charging system voltage. Kawasaki says 13.5-15v is "in range". So run it up to about 2,000 RPM's, and if it's within range, your charging system is just fine. It may also just be a bad battery; not unheard of if a battery sat, was allowed to get discharged, etc., while the bike was being rebuilt.

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode