Going from 2005 VN800B to 2016 Vaquero? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-06-2016, 11:04 PM Thread Starter

Question Going from 2005 VN800B to 2016 Vaquero?

Hi all,

I recently rode a Harley Street Glide Special, and while I really liked it, I wasn't a huge fan of the stock exhaust volume (a little loud for my tinnitus-ravaged ears) and the vibration at idle.

Today, I visited a local Kawasaki dealer, who had a Vaquero in his showroom.

The bike was comfortable to sit on, but he doesn't do test rides (although after an hour of talking, it sounded like he'd make an exception).

1. What I'm looking for, is what am I missing? What should sway me to or from the Vaquero?

2. How does the stock exhaust volume compare to the HD SGS?

3. Does the Vaquero vibrate at idle like HD bikes?

4. How does the stereo compare to the HD SGS "Boom Audio"?

5. Can I plug my phone (android) into the stereo and listen to music? Do the handlebar controls work on it?

6. Is this bike top heavy? I had no problem tossing the HD SGS around like I do my Vulcan 800.

7. Handling concerns?

8. Weight?

9. I'm 5'8", any other shorter riders on a Vaquero? What mods did you do, lowering and such?

One of the main reasons I'm close to pulling the trigger on the Vaquero is price ... it's almost $10k cheaper than the HD SGS.

I'd look at Victory bikes, but their dealer network sucks here in the Washington, D.C. metro area. The closest one is 25+ miles away from me. Also, my 05 Vulcan has been virtually problem-free for the 10k miles I've put on it in the last 6 years (I got it in 2010 with 700 miles on the odo).

I've tried to do a bunch of online research and ask around to my riding buddies, but none of them seem to know much about Kawasaki bikes.

Finally, the sticker is just shy of $17k, and the dealer is quoting me $15,300 out the door - is that a good deal, or should I ask for more off the price?

Thanks all, I know it was a long read, but this'll be the first bike I ever buy (my current bike was a gift from a friend who wasn't riding it).

-John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-07-2016, 03:10 PM
BOTM Winner
February 2016

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vaquero
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Metallic Black
Garage
I love my Vaquero...though I have heavily modified it at this point. Even with lots of upgrades (including custom paint) I am in for less than a stock Road Glide.

Stock it sounds like a sewing machine....I swapped out the exhaust and intake pretty quick.

No significant vibration at idle.

Stock speakers are kind of junk....adding and amp and some good 5.25" speakers will take care of that. Or you can get adapters for 6.5" speakers, including speakers in the bags if you want.

You need to get an adapter kit from Kawasaki to hook external audio into the stereo. The basic line in or iPod adapter is around $120. You can also add and XM Radio module...but that closer to $500. I have both installed, though listen to XM 90% of the time.

Harleys are generally lighter and depending on the model have lower centers of gravity. The Vaquero is close to 900lbs dry. and while I would not call it "top heavy"...it does have a high center of gravity.

That said it handles like a dream...or at least as good as can be expected from any mass produced bike. There are lots of options for changing the handling characteristics if you want.

You can lower the bike via adjustments to the stock shocks; replacing the stock shocks; or adding a lowering kit....I did the one from Luverne Kawasaki.

$15300 out the door is not bad....I got out the door with my '14 for just a bit over 16k....but included 2 years maintenance and 7 year warranty.

I had been considering a Vaquero in trade for my VN1700 Classic....I stopped into the dealer just to sit on it.....walked out with it that day

CaptKurt
Secretary
Temecula Valley Vulcan Riders, chapter 1-22

2014 Vulcan 1700 Wind Therapy "Vaqueroger" Vaquero ABS - KlockWerks 9" shield, RacynRay ISO Grips, Luverne Kawi Lowering Kit; Vance & Hines Exhaust; Thunder Mfg intake; Ivan's ECU Flash; Mustang Wide Touring Saddle; XM/iPod adapaters; Voyager trunk on Wompass Rack; Randy's 6.5" adapters; Rockford Fosgate amp; Polk Audio speakers; custom painted by Kevin Norton.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 08:00 AM Thread Starter

Awesome, thanks for the info!

I rode a new HD Road Glide yesterday, and the stock windscreen on that thing was a joke! Anything over 35mph and I was getting so much wind buffeting that my eyes were watering.

It appears that the Vaquero's windscreen is more vertical, like a Street Glide, which had very little buffeting all the way to 70mph.

Hopefully I'll be test riding the Vaquero tomorrow night, then I'll make a decision on which to get.

-John

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-10-2016, 10:12 AM Thread Starter

A quick update ... my previously-quoted price of $15,300 was incorrect - it was $15,800 and change.

That said, I rode the Vaquero last night, and really enjoyed it!

On Sunday, I took a new HD Road Glide Special out, and was mostly miserable. Didn't matter if that slit in the fairing was open or closed, I got so much buffeting that anything over 35mph caused my eyes to water (half helmet and prescription glasses). The steering felt heavy, and I didn't like the reach to the touch screen, whether stopped or not.

Back to the Vaquero: There was some buffeting, but WAY less than the HD RGS, so a taller windscreen will fix that. The steering felt lighter also, and I came away a lot happier with it than I expected. You're right, the stock speakers are junk, and the side-opening bags are a little silly, but I'm assuming I'll get used to 'em.

Cards on the table, I asked the dealer to do $15,500, and he said OK to that, and he'll throw in a windscreen ... the klockwerks one was $200!

I'd say it's a pretty good deal on a bike they've had sitting in their showroom all year, haha.

I should be getting it in the next week or so, looking forward to it!

Oh, and yeah, it rained during my test ride, so no high speed hijinks, but I still liked it. And I won't need ear plugs all the time like I would on any Harley.

My wife even sat on it, and had serious trouble standing it up, lol!

-John
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-10-2016, 12:35 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Went from an 05 800 myself, but to the 2012 Voyager. Thought I would need time to adjust to the weight difference, but felt right at home on it by the time I rode it 35 miles home. Did ride my brothers 09 Ultra Glide Classic 87 miles, due to a mishap he had in the wrong gear and stalled in a hairpin turn.Was very glad to get it parked in his driveway and off it, just did not fit me. The stock speakers are ok with an amp, but not great. I did add the speaker adaptors and 6 3/4" kickers, big improvement. You may want to wrap the pipes if you will be riding in much stop and go, city riding. The Ivan reflash of the stock computer has been praised from day one. I got a Gman bully fuel controller for mine before this was available. All told, I probably have less than $600 invested in functional mods on mine. By the way, I still ride the 800 when solo. I have 110,600 miles on the 800, and 53,000 on the Voyager. The dependabilty of the 800 was a huge factory in me deciding on the Voyager and have not been disappointed.

2005 800 classic
2012 Voyager ABS
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-10-2016, 07:46 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2011 Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad
Color: Metallic blue/silver
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Biker Dash
Now I want to compare a Vaquero to my 2011 Nomad. I know I absolutely love the stock seat and riding position, and the bike handles beautifully. Granted, I think the bike I have fits my needs better than the Vaq would, but still, I am curious now.

I went from a 1200 V-Max to my Nomad. Night & day difference, and I have zero regrets.

2011 1700 Nomad -- "Princess Celestia"
2003 1500 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 5.9 "Nightmare Moon"
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-11-2016, 07:50 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Color: Orange SE
Garage
Love my Vaquero! Not a bad deal! Though before you pull the trigger, look around to see if there are any 2015 leftovers available. It's still brand new, it's still the same 3 year warranty, and the bike is identical. But you could save a couple grand.

As to the stereo; the line in adapter is your only Android option. You can't control the music with your handlebar controls; only the volume of the stereo. BUT, if you don't stream music, you could go on eBay and get any number of used iPods; and plug that in with the iPod connection kit, and get full handlebar controls. Skip tracks, select playlists, song title on the screen, the works. If you get a newer device with the new lightning connector; you'll need Apple's official adapter. The cheap ones on Amazon don't convert the digital lightning audio to the analog 30-pin dock connector audio, which the Kawasaki needs. The reason it won't play music off of your android phone via USB, is the Kawasaki stereo has no means for playing digital audio files. The 30 pin Apple dock connector does that for it and sends the audio. The only digital info it passes through is title and track info, and sends back track skip, etc. signals. It's a big oversight in my opinion; but I bought the bike to ride it; I could've saved a lot of money if all I wanted to do is listen to the radio! Ha!

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT

Last edited by Romans5.8; 08-11-2016 at 07:54 AM.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-12-2016, 09:37 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, there are no 2015s sitting around, and the deal on this 2016 is good enough

As for the radio, yeah, I've got an android phone, but I have plenty of iPods laying around that I don't use, and can permanently leave on the bike.

-John
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-12-2016, 09:49 AM
BOTM Winner
February 2016

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vaquero
Color: Metallic Black
Garage
Used iPods are like $8-$15 on eBay. I bought one that was beat to hell...but worked for $8 shipped. Ya never see it anyway.

CaptKurt
Secretary
Temecula Valley Vulcan Riders, chapter 1-22

2014 Vulcan 1700 Wind Therapy "Vaqueroger" Vaquero ABS - KlockWerks 9" shield, RacynRay ISO Grips, Luverne Kawi Lowering Kit; Vance & Hines Exhaust; Thunder Mfg intake; Ivan's ECU Flash; Mustang Wide Touring Saddle; XM/iPod adapaters; Voyager trunk on Wompass Rack; Randy's 6.5" adapters; Rockford Fosgate amp; Polk Audio speakers; custom painted by Kevin Norton.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-13-2016, 07:57 AM

Hi John. Congratulations on your new bike!! I also interested in the Valquero and I am also 5' 8". How was your test ride? Did your feet reach the ground okay? The closest dealer that has one in stock and allows test rides is 4.5 hours away. Trying to get feed back before I embark on that ride.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode