Pulley noise or something else - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 09:39 PM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: 2011 Vulcan Voyager
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Blue/Silver
Pulley noise or something else

Had a new expensive sounding noise show up yesterday, thankfully when I was close to home. Noticed it first when slowing to stop, sounded like a clacking sound, at first I thought it was something on the radio, turned that off and it happened again at the next stop. When I got home it would do it when rolling the bike backwards about 5-6 feet, it was a clacking sound and sounded like it was coming from just under me, I checked the belt the best I could as well as both pulleys thinking maybe I picked up a rock, saw nothing. Today I had a friend stop by with his jack, rolled the bike backwards and nothing, quiet (this I was not expecting). Raised the bike, tire turns free, can't feel any binds, all looks ok. Take the bike down the street, what I finding is that occassionally I'll get a faint clacking noise when starting out, however now when coasting I get a clicking and when I pull in the clutch it sounds almost like what a card sounds like in a bicycle wheel (only louder). Had my friend stand on both sides trying to find out what side it's coming from but it seems to be just as loud on both sides. Anyone have any ideas? I'm fearing the problem with the front pulley and/or output shaft (not under warranty).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 10:41 PM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2013 Voyager
Color: Blue/Black
I'm not a mechanic but I know those with more mechanical experience with me will ask, which bike do you have?

Kawasaki rear speakers
VN 1500 Kickstand
Ipod adapter
Kuryakyn Longhorn Offset Highway Pegs
Garmin 390LM w/TPMS
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 12:43 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
It may be the brakes hanging up. How many miles on the bike. Does the noise change when you touch the brake pedal. Does the noise change depending on which gear you are in.

2012 Kawasaki Voyager
Thunder Manufacturing Round Air Kit
Dynojet PCV Fuel Processor
Dynojet AT-300 Autotune Module
Freedom Performance True Dual's (racing Baffles)
Kuryakyn Offset Highway Pegs
Michellin Commander ll's Front & Back
RacnRay's Throttle Grip
iPod Connector
Manual Fan Switch

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 08:23 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn54 View Post
I'm not a mechanic but I know those with more mechanical experience with me will ask, which bike do you have?
Bike is a 2011 Voyager with ABS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlars View Post
It may be the brakes hanging up. How many miles on the bike. Does the noise change when you touch the brake pedal. Does the noise change depending on which gear you are in.
It has 18500 miles on it. The noise varies with the speed of the bike, not the engine. Can't say that it changes based on the gear it's in, it is very noticeable when coasting, tho never thought about trying that in neutral. Also never thought about the brakes, tho I did hear it until the bike stopped, or at least almost stopped.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 11:27 AM

This sounds very much like my bike when the tab washer failed, causing the pulley to come loose on the shaft and ruining the splines.
Remove the front pulley cover and look at the nut and washer.

Garry

2009 Voyager ABS:
Sold at 679,465 kms
Improve handling, suspension and tire life
with Garry's Fork Brace.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 12:30 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gv550 View Post
This sounds very much like my bike when the tab washer failed, causing the pulley to come loose on the shaft and ruining the splines.
Remove the front pulley cover and look at the nut and washer.
This is what failed? Did you replace the pulley and washer yourself or was it original from the factory. Yes, it's pretty simple to just pop the cover and slave cylinder of to give it a quick check. You don't even have to disconnect the hydraulic hose to do it. It also is a good time to clean all the crud out from the cylinder area
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160802_112800.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	170865  

2012 Kawasaki Voyager
RacnRay's Throttle Grip
iPod Connector
Manual Fan Switch

Last edited by dlars; 08-02-2016 at 12:34 PM.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 12:49 PM

Yes. That's the tab washer. In my case it split and opened outward, the tab was still folded over the nut and most of the spline was engaged so the nut had not turned. The washer was compressed to the point of there being no more preload on the pulley so it began wobbling and tore up the shaft spline. Thankfully I still had warranty but the bike was still down a month. It's a $4000 job, have to remove the engine and split the cases to replace that shaft.

Garry

2009 Voyager ABS:
Sold at 679,465 kms
Improve handling, suspension and tire life
with Garry's Fork Brace.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 06:40 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gv550 View Post
Yes. That's the tab washer. In my case it split and opened outward, the tab was still folded over the nut and most of the spline was engaged so the nut had not turned. The washer was compressed to the point of there being no more preload on the pulley so it began wobbling and tore up the shaft spline. Thankfully I still had warranty but the bike was still down a month. It's a $4000 job, have to remove the engine and split the cases to replace that shaft.
Ok, glad they covered it. I've got a new front pulley, belt and washer for when I decide to do mine

2012 Kawasaki Voyager
RacnRay's Throttle Grip
iPod Connector
Manual Fan Switch
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

I plan to take the covers off tomorrow and have a look. If the washer has failed, will it be obvious? I really don't want to find this as (like most) I don't have 4k (or more) to fix it, maybe Kawa will do something since I did complain more than once under warranty about the belt being too tight, but I'm not holding out any hope of them doing anything (and I think that's more the dealer than Kawa). I will admit tho, that I think this is what I'll find. Then the next question would be, IF I get it fixed, when will it do it again? Another question is how many has this happened to?
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 08:28 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluemeanie View Post
I plan to take the covers off tomorrow and have a look. If the washer has failed, will it be obvious? I really don't want to find this as (like most) I don't have 4k (or more) to fix it, maybe Kawa will do something since I did complain more than once under warranty about the belt being too tight, but I'm not holding out any hope of them doing anything (and I think that's more the dealer than Kawa). I will admit tho, that I think this is what I'll find. Then the next question would be, IF I get it fixed, when will it do it again? Another question is how many has this happened to?
Do as search for it on this forum. I did and I think I found 1 person who had the output shaft fail.......that kind of thing isn't real common

2012 Kawasaki Voyager
RacnRay's Throttle Grip
iPod Connector
Manual Fan Switch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode