Tie Down Spots - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-30-2016, 04:53 PM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: 2015 Kawasaki Voyager
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Charcole Gray
Tie Down Spots

I'm going on a trip in 2 weeks that will include a 14 hour ferry ride. Once on the ferry I will be responsible to tie the bike down. I have some rachet straps to use but does anyone have any pointers as to where to hook the tie downs onto the bike and so on. Bike is a 2015 Voyager ABS. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by sailorman3; 07-30-2016 at 04:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-30-2016, 05:55 PM
Peg
Top Contributor

Garage
Just don't use the outside ends of the bars - they'll bend. In the front, your straps will feed up underneath the fairing OK, and you can attach them either to the bars between the risers, or I just run mine over the lower triple-tree clamp. In the back, I just use the rear saddlebag guards.

In a country split into two islands, I'm on a ferry frequently. The same system worked well when I shipped the bike to and from the USA last year.

Paul (Peg) Elliott
New Plymouth, NZ. '10 Voyager 1700
'02 Nomad 1500(sold) '97 VN800B (sold)
2 Honda's, 2 Suzuki's, 1 Yamaha (all dead)
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 09:14 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
It kind of depends on the position of the bike in relation to the tie-downs once you get it parked. I have used the rear saddle bag guards and the front lower triple-tree or engine guard myself. Just ensure nothing is rubbing.....NFLD I see, have a great trip

2012 Kawasaki Voyager
Thunder Manufacturing Round Air Kit
Dynojet PCV Fuel Processor
Dynojet AT-300 Autotune Module
Freedom Performance True Dual's (racing Baffles)
Kuryakyn Offset Highway Pegs
Michellin Commander ll's Front & Back
RacnRay's Throttle Grip
iPod Connector
Manual Fan Switch

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 05:07 PM
Top Contributor

I always zip tie the hooks to the rings on the floor or vehicle mounting point. Too many times I've had a trailer bounce and the front end compression pops the hook off its mount.
Cheap insurance...

Gary

SW Michigan

2009 Kawasaki Voyager
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 05:45 PM Thread Starter

After looking the bike over, I think the best place on front would be the lower triple tree clamps and on the rear either the bar up under the trunk or on the guards for the hard saddle bags.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 05:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGB6259 View Post
I always zip tie the hooks to the rings on the floor or vehicle mounting point. Too many times I've had a trailer bounce and the front end compression pops the hook off its mount.
Cheap insurance...
I have snap hooks on all my straps. I learned to do this when my side by side came unhooked once in my trailer. I was very lucky... LOL
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 08:55 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
I just did a trip in July where we trailered 2 Voyagers side by side in a 12' trailer for 1800 miles. The guards are the way to go front and rear. Make sure that at least your front straps are rated for 900lbs or more. If you compress your suspension about 50% front and rear you should not have any trouble with binders coming loose. I always take the hook over the guards and back to the tie down point or to the back of the eye in the hook at the tie down point then take the tag end and make a couple of half hitches behind the ratchet just in case there is a failure of the ratchet.

10 Voyager
01 1500 Drifter
VRA Central Alabama Chapter 1-61
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 12:56 AM

I have only trailered mine once and I wasn't thrilled with my results. My trailer doesn't have a lot of tie down options currently and as mentioned above, bumps can cause the bike to move up and down "wiggle" out of it's strap. I didn't secure my hooks at all and ended up losing 2 straps on the trip. Next time I trailer it I will certainly secure the hooks.

will also suggest that you get some soft straps, they're a God send for securing bikes. Mine are similar to these: https://www.amazon.com/Straps-Motorc...aps+motorcycle

Good luck

Allen D
"ONYX" - 2011 Black Vaquero

Windvest Recurve Windshield | KQR Passenger Backrest | Grasshopper Backrest | Passenger Floorboards | Progressive 430 Shocks | Scala Rider Teamset Pro | Kawasaki XM Radio | Racin' Ray's Throttle Mod | Avon Grips | Ivan's ECU Flash | Shaved Seat with Gel Insert | Wrapped Exhaust | Door Pocket Key Knobs | Vance and Hines Slash Cut Exhaust | Under Bag Brake Lights
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-05-2016, 10:33 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen D View Post
I have only trailered mine once and I wasn't thrilled with my results. My trailer doesn't have a lot of tie down options currently and as mentioned above, bumps can cause the bike to move up and down "wiggle" out of it's strap. I didn't secure my hooks at all and ended up losing 2 straps on the trip. Next time I trailer it I will certainly secure the hooks.

will also suggest that you get some soft straps, they're a God send for securing bikes. Mine are similar to these: https://www.amazon.com/Straps-Motorc...aps+motorcycle

Good luck
The key is to compress the suspension about 50%

10 Voyager
01 1500 Drifter
VRA Central Alabama Chapter 1-61
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode