Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Gas - Octane and Brand Preference?

8K views 29 replies 22 participants last post by  bearpawh 
#1 ·
Checking to see if the majority of the owners are running 91 octane and if there is a brand preference? Does anyone go out of their way to get one gas over another?

Appreciate your thoughts!

#2 ·
My choices are generally 87, 89 or 93 at the pump here in Florida, so I run 93. I usually go for Shell or Mobil.

#4 ·
I always get Shell if I can. I have started using mid-grade and I haven't had any pinging with the Shell but I got Chevron mid-grade recently and it pinged under hard acceleration. I have always gotten better mpg with Shell in any vehicle. But, it usually cots a bit more. Here my octane options are 87, 89 and 91.

#5 ·
Here in CO, we have 85, 87, and 89. I try to run 85 when using good quality such as Shell. No pinging and gets the best mileage. When using off brands (like when out on the road and no other choice), I tend to use mid-grade. My preferred brand is Shell.

#6 ·
I use 93 here - though I was asleep when filling once and put in 87 - didn't notice much difference - Got me thinking - perhaps I'll try lowering it - though the savings of $1.00 a tank . . . Ah - I'll stick with the 93 - like that sticker that used to be on the tank said I should . . .

#15 · (Edited)
Hey Major, did your 2011 really say use 93? The sticker on my 2009 said to use 90. So since we only have 87, 89, and 93, I use 89 with no problems. And to those that can get gas without corn in it, consider yourselves lucky. The only places that sell pure gas in VA is at the boat docks.

#7 ·
93 with no ethanol

#8 ·
I use Shell most of the time. My choices are 87,89, and 93 here in Texas. I did use 93 all the time but decided to try the 89 once and discovered i get better gas mileage with the 89 and have never heard any pinging.

#9 ·
I typically have the same 87, 89, or 93 choices at the places I stop and I normally go with 89 mainly because 90 is recommended and 89 seems close enough and I haven't had any issues. I don't have a favorite station or brand. Most places have 10% ethanol. I looked at a list of places that were ethanol-free but they're all too far from home.

#10 ·
I too have been using Shell or Mobil 91 or 93. Can't find "real" gas in My part of NH.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

#11 ·
I run 89 in mine. The book calls for 90 or better but the 89 runs great and no issues with ping. Plus 89 will give more power than 90 or above because it is nore volatile.

Degreaser - The 1700 engine has 9.5-1 compression so yes...it is a "slightly" high compression engine. I don't think 93 octane is really needed tho. Just my opinion.

#12 ·
Only use 93 or better, any real name brand, mobile, hess, gulf, citgo

I did experience noticeable performance reduction during my Canadian trip ( I could not get 93)

On my next trip to our friends to the north I will bring octane boost

#14 ·
I run regular unleaded and I only buy Chevron gas.... on the road... just my preference.... Back in the days when I would run higher octane at 15 cents a gallon more...I seldom saw enough difference in power pulling my trailer to even mention there was more power......

I don't think that buying more expensive octane gas or adding "boost" gives you enough extra power to justify the extra money...

I have never heard my Voyager "ping/knock" one time yet... (or any of my other motorcycles) but I have never lived in an area that has the funny gas mixtures that some of you may have........... I may be old... but I do not ride like a old man on a moped....

#16 ·
I think your bike is not a high compress engine, which does need the higher octane, but you only need the lower regular gas, using higher octane in a low compression engine will foul up the insides with carbon deposits . you should double check your engine compression rating and also study up on why higher octane gas is used

#19 ·
I started using 89 octane after talking with Racnray, which he has been using in his Vaquero for some time now. It makes good sense to me since in my opinion 89 octane is the same as 90. I usually get BP or Quicktrip and have had no pinging at all.

#22 ·
What might happen is when using the higher octane fuel over time, unburnt carbon deposits will form on the top of the piston head, and build up and cause the engine to have a higher compression ratio than intended causing pinging problems, because the higher octane has a lower temperature ignition flash-point than the 87 octane does and not all the fuel will ignite causing the carbon deposits.

#24 ·
87, 89 or 93 around here and 10% corn. Only use Chevron and have been using their gas since 1981 and have had no fuel system issues on any of my gas powered equipment. A article in a recent Cruiser mag said "running higher octane is a waste of money. The higher the octane the less volatile the fuel, hense the less likely to "knock". One reason big v-twins often have detonation problems is because their large combustion chambers allow "end gasses" or unburned pockets of fuel to linger until they auto-ignite, (detonate), which we hear as a knock or pinging. Smaller chambers speed the burning process so all the fuel is ignited before detonation occurs. Hope this helps.

#25 ·
The local choices where I live are 87, 89 & 91. I run 87 in both bikes. Never had a problem. I buy what/where ever it's the cheapest. I have also read where buying the higher octane gas is just wasting your money in our Vulcans.

#26 ·
I use ONLY 91 octane and buy She'll whenever I can. Living in rural Manitoba my choices are limited. Even with some of the other "no name" 91 octane oil sometimes get pinging and add some octane boost. Shell works best for me-when traveling if I can find 93 octane I bump up

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.