Drive Belt adjustment - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By fishfish

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-22-2016, 07:46 AM Thread Starter

Drive Belt adjustment

Hello everyone! Need some information on the belt adjustors on the 1700. The left side adjuster on the wheel fits flush with the axle thus creating an exact reading on the frame. The right side however has a fair amount of horizontal play making it difficult to establish the same reading on the left side. Am I missing something here or is that just a bad design? Seems you never quite know if the wheel is going to be tracking properly.
Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-22-2016, 08:26 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Nomad ABS
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Black/White
Garage
If you're talking about the movement of the entire wheel assembly on the right side, it's because the belt is on the left holding that side in place, while the right side has nothing. The wheel is actually pivoting on the belt. You need to make sure the wheel assembly is pushed toward the front on both sides (to loosen the belt) before adjusting. Adjust the left side first, then the right.

Go for the ride!
2014 Kawasaki 1700 Nomad ABS
2008 Kawasaki 900 Classic LT (sold 2015 42k miles)
1975 Kawasaki KZ400 (sold ~1985)
1970 Suzuki TS250 Scrambler (stolen 1971)
1968 Bridgestone 200 MKII RS (sold 1970)
Patriot Guard Rider
USN 1971-75
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-22-2016, 08:34 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfish View Post
Hello everyone! Need some information on the belt adjustors on the 1700. The left side adjuster on the wheel fits flush with the axle thus creating an exact reading on the frame. The right side however has a fair amount of horizontal play making it difficult to establish the same reading on the left side. Am I missing something here or is that just a bad design? Seems you never quite know if the wheel is going to be tracking properly.
Thanks in advance
I'm not really sure what you mean by horizontal play. As long as the adjuster in installed with the correct side in (facing the axle), it is easy to read the alignment marks. Is the bushing on both sides in place properly (there is a right side and a left side bushing which are not interchangeable). Could you post a picture of the adjuster from a couple different angles to give us a better idea what your issue is.

2012 Kawasaki Voyager
Thunder Manufacturing Round Air Kit
Dynojet PCV Fuel Processor
Dynojet AT-300 Autotune Module
Freedom Performance True Dual's (racing Baffles)
Kuryakyn Offset Highway Pegs
Michellin Commander ll's Front & Back
RacnRay's Throttle Grip
iPod Connector
Manual Fan Switch

Last edited by dlars; 07-22-2016 at 08:37 AM.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-22-2016, 01:38 PM Thread Starter

their is some play-back and forth- where the adjuster loops around the axle on the right side. I dont know if its because the threaded side of the axle is a slightly smaller diameter. Any, its not a solid inflexible fit and consequently not an exact or precision reading as you get with the left side. Almost as if there should be some type of bushing on the adjustor opening where it goes on to the axle to account for this problem
Thanks in advance
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0336 (1).JPG
Views:	154
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	169890  
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-22-2016, 03:16 PM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2010 Kawasaki Voyager
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Red/Black
Garage
Quote:
their is some play-back and forth- where the adjuster loops around the axle on the right side. I dont know if its because the threaded side of the axle is a slightly smaller diameter. Any, its not a solid inflexible fit and consequently not an exact or precision reading as you get with the left side. Almost as if there should be some type of bushing on the adjustor opening where it goes on to the axle to account for this problem
Thanks in advance
It is going to be really hard to get a picture that shows everything. Look a the exploded diagram here:

2010 Kawasaki VULCAN 1700 VOYAGER (VN1700AAF) Rear Wheel/Chain | Cheap Cycle Parts

Look at the parts near the "Front" directional arrow. Is the bushing 92027 between the rim bearing/oil seal and the rear caliper bracket and in the direction shown? Is everything else there?

Installed:
RAM mount for TomTom Rider 400 (with anti theft module)
6000k LED Headlight & Spots; Kisan Headlight Modulator (works with LEDs),
__Brake Light Modulator, LED License Plate Holder
Longer Kickstand
Dobeck EJK 3.0
Lucky Mirror Extenders
Misc. RAM Mounts for Cup Holder, SPOT, Phone, etc.
Chuckster BAK, Trailer Hitch and Cooler Rack
Wiring for Trailer
Ray's Throttle Mod
Things to do:
Drilling Baffle Plates (Maybe)
Paint HF Tag Along Trailer to Match Bike

LET'S RIDE
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-22-2016, 03:48 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Thanks in advance
Just curious, are you re-assembling the rear after a tire change. When I did my first tire change on my Voyager I didn't pay close enough attention to the spacers on each end of the axle and got them mixed up. This could be the problem....or one of them missing.

2012 Kawasaki Voyager
RacnRay's Throttle Grip
iPod Connector
Manual Fan Switch
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-22-2016, 05:59 PM Thread Starter

It turns out the last shop that did my tire change put the wrong (someone elses) belt adjuster on my bike. It must have been off another Kawasaki to even have the appearance of fitting but just the same the opening for the adjuster that goes around the axle was a bit larger than it should have been. Picked up a new adjuster and all is well.
Thankyou everone for your help!!
CarGuy likes this.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-23-2016, 08:33 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
It turns out the last shop that did my tire change put the wrong (someone elses) belt adjuster on my bike. It must have been off another Kawasaki to even have the appearance of fitting but just the same the opening for the adjuster that goes around the axle was a bit larger than it should have been. Picked up a new adjuster and all is well.
Thankyou everone for your help!!
Right on, easy fix. It's strange that they even removed the adjuster from the bike to begin with tho

2012 Kawasaki Voyager
RacnRay's Throttle Grip
iPod Connector
Manual Fan Switch

Last edited by dlars; 07-23-2016 at 04:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode