Growling and squeaking, thought I needed braks but 1/4" of pad - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By captj3
  • 1 Post By rick

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-12-2016, 10:30 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Growling and squeaking, thought I needed braks but 1/4" of pad

I have a 2011 Vaquero that I bought last year with 1700 miles on it and I've been riding a lot so it now has 13k on it and I thought I was hearing some growling noise that I feared was grinding that was going to ruin my rotors and then I heard a squeak when I came to a stop so I started looking at youtube vids on changing pads on a bike. I was getting ready to purchase pads but I was basing my need only on noise so I thought I should visually inspect them before I dropped my dimes. I didn't take the calipers off but looked at them with a flashlight and it appears that I have about 1/4" of pad still on the front and back. Unless I'm looking at this wrong it appears that I can see the base of the pad with the 1/4" of pad within that base resting flush with the rotor, I'm pretty sure I know what I'm looking at but the noise I was hearing has me paranoid that I am wrong and that it is metal on metal that is going to ruin my rotors but I don't have grooves on my rotor.

Do you agree that I know what I am looking at, that I have pad left, based on my description? I've read about growling sounds so if that is all this is then is this just an annoyance or do I need to do anything to prevent damage or failure?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-14-2016, 10:02 AM
Top Contributor

Vaquero brake pads moan and groan and squeak at low speeds when they heat up. When mine wear out I'll replace them. They are more annoying than anything else.
aron77 and Biker Dash like this.

2012 Vaquero Candy Lime Green/Black
1700 Nomad (Deceased)
Cobra Tri-Oval Exhaust
Racnrays Invention (Throttle Mod)
Ivan's Flash
Thunder Tornado Air Kit
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-14-2016, 12:14 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
A 1/4" is about what they are new, with the backing plates, maybe just a little more. If you still have about a 1/4" of pad on them, you shoould be good for lots of miles yet.
aron77 likes this.

2005 800 classic
2012 Voyager ABS

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-14-2016, 06:04 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2011 Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Metallic blue/silver
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Biker Dash
Quote:
Originally Posted by captj3 View Post
Vaquero brake pads moan and groan and squeak at low speeds when they heat up. When mine wear out I'll replace them. They are more annoying than anything else.
THANK YOU! I have the same issue with my Nomad, and I was wondering if I need new wheel bearings. (Even had Starting Line check out the bearings on my bike to make certain.)

I shall let Dave (the owner of Starting Line) know about this.

2011 1700 Nomad -- "Princess Celestia"
2003 1500 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 5.9 "Nightmare Moon"
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-15-2016, 07:42 AM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
When I got my Voyager the front brake pads were very noisy. Even had a grinding noise at times. I just kept taking them off and rotating them from left to right caliper and then inside to outside which helped but never stopped the noise. So after about 8k miles I replaced them with better NON kawai pads and they have never made any noise since. That was 4 years ago.

Bubba in TX

2011 Voyager "Betty Clunker"

A bad day on a motorcycle is better than a good day in a car

Some people collect T-shirts
I actually ride

Voyager 1700 owners...
WRAP your pipes....
You will be glad you did...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
U.S.A.F. Retired

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Nye County Nevada
Motor Officer Retired
Blue Knights Texas 43
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-15-2016, 12:25 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2013 Nomad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba in TX View Post
When I got my Voyager the front brake pads were very noisy. Even had a grinding noise at times. I just kept taking them off and rotating them from left to right caliper and then inside to outside which helped but never stopped the noise. So after about 8k miles I replaced them with better NON kawai pads and they have never made any noise since. That was 4 years ago.
I'm not at all impressed with the braking performance of my 2011 Vaquero with 17K miles I recently acquired. I may swap the pads with some EBC pads along with some synthetic DOT4 fluid. That should both improve the braking as well as eliminate the noise/grinding I experience after I have been riding for a while.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-16-2016, 08:45 AM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpionsix View Post
I'm not at all impressed with the braking performance of my 2011 Vaquero with 17K miles I recently acquired. I may swap the pads with some EBC pads along with some synthetic DOT4 fluid. That should both improve the braking as well as eliminate the noise/grinding I experience after I have been riding for a while.
Pads will make a difference,but fluid won't be noticeable unless you have air in the lines or change to SS lines. Make sure you use the fluid kawi recommends. Sometimes if you change to synthetic it can harm the seals and hoses in the brake system. Just a FYI.

2012 Vaquero Candy Lime Green/Black
1700 Nomad (Deceased)
Cobra Tri-Oval Exhaust
Racnrays Invention (Throttle Mod)
Ivan's Flash
Thunder Tornado Air Kit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode