160/80B16 vs 180/65B16 Chicken Strips - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-08-2016, 02:38 PM Thread Starter

160/80B16 vs 180/65B16 Chicken Strips

After reading several opinions on here about tires I am still wondering about the opinion about which is better on a stock rim for a MCll rear tire. Is it better to use a 160/80B16 or 180/65B16? I have a 2013 VV and since MCll don't have 170/70-16 and I see where people use the 180/65-16, but is there any problems with what people call chicken strips on the rear tire of the 180/65? A couple of ppl say also that using the 160/80 is better because it covers more road and chicken strips don't occur. Which is better?
Appreciate all feedback.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-08-2016, 04:53 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
I use the Michelin Commander ll's on my VV front and rear (rear being the 180/65-16). I just got back from a trip to Alaska and there are some very tight windy roads in the Yukon let me tell you. I used every inch of those tires on the sides and they handle very nice, didn't even slow up much in rainy conditions. It's got more to do with your riding style really, if you ride the majority of the time on straight roads, they may occur. Ive never really given it any thought, just ride the hell out of it.....within your own abilities :-)

2012 Kawasaki Voyager
Thunder Manufacturing Round Air Kit
Dynojet PCV Fuel Processor
Dynojet AT-300 Autotune Module
Freedom Performance True Dual's (racing Baffles)
Kuryakyn Offset Highway Pegs
Michellin Commander ll's Front & Back
RacnRay's Throttle Grip
iPod Connector
Manual Fan Switch

Last edited by dlars; 07-08-2016 at 04:58 PM.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-08-2016, 07:23 PM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2013 Voyager
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Blue/Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlars View Post
I use the Michelin Commander ll's on my VV front and rear (rear being the 180/65-16). I just got back from a trip to Alaska and there are some very tight windy roads in the Yukon let me tell you. I used every inch of those tires on the sides and they handle very nice, didn't even slow up much in rainy conditions. It's got more to do with your riding style really, if you ride the majority of the time on straight roads, they may occur. Ive never really given it any thought, just ride the hell out of it.....within your own abilities :-)
Not to hijack the thread but have you posted and pics on the site? We went there about 4 years ago, but not on a motorcycle. I bet that was a blast.

Kawasaki rear speakers
VN 1500 Kickstand
Ipod adapter
Kuryakyn Longhorn Offset Highway Pegs
Garmin 390LM w/TPMS

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-08-2016, 09:47 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
After reading several opinions on here about tires I am still wondering about the opinion about which is better on a stock rim for a MCll rear tire. Is it better to use a 160/80B16 or 180/65B16? I have a 2013 VV and since MCll don't have 170/70-16 and I see where people use the 180/65-16, but is there any problems with what people call chicken strips on the rear tire of the 180/65? A couple of ppl say also that using the 160/80 is better because it covers more road and chicken strips don't occur. Which is better?
Appreciate all feedback.
Chickens strips are the part of the tire that never touches the pavement.

I have run both size tires. The 160/80/b16 will run out of tire before hard parts hit. That isn't a good thing if you enjoy the curves at speed. If you are a sane rider, you will have a larger contact patch.

With the 180/65B16 you will never use the entire rubber, but that is a good thing. If you notice, on most bikes the chicken strip is wider on the front tire than the rear. There is a reason for that.

2010 Vulcan Voyager 1700 ABS, 2007 Vulcan Mean Streak 1600
2012 Concours 1400, 2011 Versys 650, 2012 KLX250S

see my garage for list of accessories
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-08-2016, 10:02 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn54 View Post
Not to hijack the thread but have you posted and pics on the site? We went there about 4 years ago, but not on a motorcycle. I bet that was a blast.
I did take a whole pile of GoPro video but haven't done much with it yet. Do you remember going through Muncho Lake area between Toad River and Watson Lake, there are some amazing curves there and that was a blast. There are lots of Buffalo and bear in that area. Here are a couple links to 2 short clips I posted on Youtube, not much but they give people an idea what it's like up there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMhkZBrl3x4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2U6zgkoy_k

2012 Kawasaki Voyager
RacnRay's Throttle Grip
iPod Connector
Manual Fan Switch
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-08-2016, 10:10 PM Thread Starter

I am not a aggressive driver on the curves or on the highway at all, just cruising on 2 lane highways riding with my wife most of the time.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-08-2016, 10:12 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Here is another Youtube video I found from that area. It's a time-lapse but it gives a good idea of the curves and scenery. The roads look rough but they were nice and smooth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQOQ209l_pU

2012 Kawasaki Voyager
RacnRay's Throttle Grip
iPod Connector
Manual Fan Switch
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-08-2016, 10:21 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
I am not a aggressive driver on the curves or on the highway at all, just cruising on 2 lane highways riding with my wife most of the time.
Me neither really when I'm by myself, but sometimes you just can't help but push it a little bit more. Riding with my buddies made me push it a bit and now I'm a lot more confident knowing what the bike, and myself are capable of. My one buddy used to race bikes in his younger days and is very helpful giving pointers in picking a line and such when cornering. He has a bad leg and rides a Can-Am Spyder now.....damn he can corner on that thing, they really stick to the road if you know how to ride them.

2012 Kawasaki Voyager
RacnRay's Throttle Grip
iPod Connector
Manual Fan Switch
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-08-2016, 10:24 PM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2013 Voyager
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Blue/Black
Great videos. I'd really like to hear some details of your trip, when, route, etc. Our trip was to the Kenai area. It was awesome. Post up some details when you get time. I'm strongly considering getting a Go Pro or Garmin Virb XE.

Sorry OP. I hope you get your question answered.

Kawasaki rear speakers
VN 1500 Kickstand
Ipod adapter
Kuryakyn Longhorn Offset Highway Pegs
Garmin 390LM w/TPMS

Last edited by Glenn54; 07-08-2016 at 10:27 PM.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-08-2016, 10:42 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Great videos. I'd really like to hear some details of your trip, when, route, etc. Our trip was to the Kenai area. It was awesome. Post up some details when you get time. I'm strongly considering getting a Go Pro or Garmin Virb XE.

Sorry OP. I hope you get your question answered.
When you take the Alaska Hwy north from Grande Prairie, Alberta through Dawson Creek to Fort Nelson there really isn't much for scenery. Once you get past Fort Nelson it's really nice and the roads are smooth and quiet. We went from there to Watson Lake YT, where the signpost forest is at. From there we went to Whitehorse and spent a day with a buddy who lives there, then up to Dawson City. If you are riding into Alaska from there via the Top of the world Hwy you have to make sure you have a day's good weather ahead of you as that part can be sketchy. From there you can go to Fairbanks then all the way to Anchorage or wherever you decide. It's beautiful.....me and my Spyder buddy are already talking about our next trip

2012 Kawasaki Voyager
RacnRay's Throttle Grip
iPod Connector
Manual Fan Switch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode