Eight-dollar Vaquero seat improvement - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By philippe721

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-05-2016, 05:19 PM Thread Starter

Eight-dollar Vaquero seat improvement

Explanation:
I have the Vaquero AND the Voyager. The seat on the Voyager is extremely comfortable and I have gone 600 miles on it with no problem at all. So, why did Kawasaki use a much firmer foam for the Vaquero seat? Beats me.

Now everyone has their preferences and it is okay. If you think the OEM seat is perfect, fantastic! If you think a Mustang seat is the best thing since sliced bread, good for you! I bought a mustang seat as soon as I got the Vaquero and it hurt my hips. Luckily I got it for a good price on Ebay and was able to resale it for the same price. (Phew!)

This post is for those who want to try something different and inexpensive.
I had a sore butt after 60 miles on the OEM seat and can now go 200 miles with no problem after I changed the foam.

What I did:
I went to Walmart and bought a big piece of foam for $8.00 (yes that's eight dollars...NOT 800 like a Mustang seat!!).

I removed the staples, uncovered the seat, cut the foam out, replaced it with the softer foam, recovered, re-stapled and done!

It normally would take only 30 minutes but it took me about an hour because after an initial run I decided to replace 4 more inches in the back and the front of the initial cut you see on the pics.

After-effect:
What it will do it lower you into the seat. For those with short legs that is a plus. I have a 30-inch seam and already had my feet flat on the ground.
It will also feel like the handlebar is higher, if that is a problem just loosen the four screws and adjust it to your licking.

Final thoughts:
If you hate the OEM seat but don't want to fork over big money for aftermarket seat, try this inexpensive alternative. And don't worry, if you don't like it and really want to spend 800 bucks, they make mustang seats everyday and they will be more than happy to take your money!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Seat1.jpg
Views:	460
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	168890   Click image for larger version

Name:	Seat2.jpg
Views:	434
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	168898   Click image for larger version

Name:	Seat3.jpg
Views:	412
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	168906   Click image for larger version

Name:	Seat foam.jpg
Views:	412
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	168914   Click image for larger version

Name:	Seat tools.jpg
Views:	416
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	168922  

Toddster and D-Dub like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-05-2016, 09:38 PM
WEG

Hi philippe721;

You are one clever guy! I see how you cut a section out of your seat, but how much of the new foam did you install? It looks like to match what you cut out... Is that right?

And does the seat look about the same with the new foam or does the new foam settle over a bit of time to give a hollow look?

Again, nice job! Might be able to get rid of the Airhawk R : )

WEG

2009 VN1700 Classic
"Black is fastest"
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-05-2016, 10:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WEG View Post
how much of the new foam did you install? It looks like to match what you cut out... Is that right?

And does the seat look about the same with the new foam or does the new foam settle over a bit of time to give a hollow look?
WEG,
The new foam is two inches thick which is the same as the OEM. And, when I get off the bike it springs back to the same shape as the original(see pic).

I don't know if the cover is from a cow or man-made "leather" but it is pretty elastic.

I took the part I cut out, placed it on the sheet of foam and cut a piece about an inch larger all around so that I could either tuck it in or trim is out as needed.

To carve the foam some people use a serrated knife, I prefer to use a ham slicer.

Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Seat6.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	168930  

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-05-2016, 11:21 PM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2013 Voyager
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Blue/Black
phillipe,

Would you do this seat mod to your Voyager? I like my Voyager seat but if it would lower the seat a little, I may consider it. Good job on the instructions for the Vaquero seat.

Kawasaki rear speakers
VN 1500 Kickstand
Ipod adapter
Kuryakyn Longhorn Offset Highway Pegs
Garmin 390LM w/TPMS
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 04:10 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn54 View Post
Would you do this seat mod to your Voyager?
No I would not. As I said at the beginning, I own both bikes. They sit side-by-side and when you press on the seats you can tell that, although the seats are almost of the same construction, the foam on the Vaquero is much much firmer to the touch. Some people like firm seats, I like them soft and that's why I love the Voyager seat.

I guess those idiots at Kawasaki thought that the people who were gonna buy the Vaquero were just going to cruise a round town and therefore did not need a nice comfy seat. But, those same idiots, although they virtually made the same bikes, decided to modify the bracket on the Vaquero so that you cannot buy a Voyager seat for the Vaquero.

But since your question seems to revolve around seat height. What I would do is carve a bit of the foam. Years ago I had a 1998 Yamaha Royal Star and I wanted to sit lower on it. I removed the staples, un-covered it and shaved off some of the foam where my butt sits and that took cake of the problem.

Another solution is to get a low-priced seat on Ebay. Those who replace the OEM seat want to get rid of them pretty badly. I saw a Voyager seat on Ebay for $95.00.......that's a cheap way to experiment.

Hope this helps.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-06-2016, 07:01 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
Glad you found something that works for you. Most OEM seats are too soft causing pain on long rides. That is why most aftermarket seats are firmer.

For me, the soft seat on the Voyager was brutal, which is why I had the pillow top gel and pillow top heated seats.

2010 Vulcan Voyager 1700 ABS, 2007 Vulcan Mean Streak 1600
2012 Concours 1400, 2011 Versys 650, 2012 KLX250S

see my garage for list of accessories
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-10-2016, 09:53 PM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Right after I got my Voyager coming off a very comfortable Venture, I got the gel seats as I hated the stock Voyager seat. Even with the gel seat, it was a long time before I decided it was just OK. But I could ride longer before the seat started eating at my rear end. So the gel seat is better than the stock.

Seat companies like Daylong can make you a seat exactly the way you want it. But even if you just want to try what philippe721 did, you can cut a shallow slice out of the top of the seat. If you like it your done. If not you can just put it back. I have done that on a couple Yamaha stock seats the exact same way he did. It is intimidating at first, but if you make good cuts, it is not hard to undo if needed.... and if you have to put the foam back after it the seat is together you will never know the difference. Or take another slice out. It will all go back if you make good cuts.

Bubba in TX

2011 Voyager "Betty Clunker"

A bad day on a motorcycle is better than a good day in a car

Some people collect T-shirts
I actually ride

Voyager 1700 owners...
WRAP your pipes....
You will be glad you did...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
U.S.A.F. Retired

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Nye County Nevada
Motor Officer Retired
Blue Knights Texas 43

Last edited by Bubba in TX; 07-10-2016 at 09:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode