General Voyager 1700 Question - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2016, 01:56 AM Thread Starter

General Voyager 1700 Question

Hi Folks:

Looking 'model year' advice on Voyager 1700's. I'm thinking about buying a used 2010 ~2015 Voyager. I've read that heat management was a problem with earlier Voyagers and I believe there's a kit that can be added that mimic the later Kawasaki fix. Are there other design difference that would make a later model Voyager much more desirable than an earlier model if they both had similar mileage and were in similar shape? Are there issues to look out for with earlier or later models? Thanks for any advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2016, 07:19 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan Voyager
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Gray
Garage
Hey,

I just got brand new 2015 10 days ago, and while I may not have all the answers I can tell you that the "heat issue" is still there.
My temp gauge stays anywhere between 1 to 2 bars from the H mark in slow speeds.
I just did 1000km ride on Sunday and due to the colder weather and the speed, the heat gauge stayed below half mark, so it is not bad all the time.

When I was looking for the advice on the Vulcan before I bought it, people on this forum recommended Ivan's ECU re-flash for the bike.
This will fix and correct many "issues".
I haven't done it yet, but I am planning to, after the riding season ends here.

Here is the link: Ivan's Performance Products

Have a good one.
-Pyro- likes this.

Chris M.

2015 Vulcan Voyager
2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture - SOLD
2007 Yamaha VStar 1100 Classic - SOLD
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2016, 07:44 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmalek View Post
Hey,

I just got brand new 2015 10 days ago, and while I may not have all the answers I can tell you that the "heat issue" is still there.
My temp gauge stays anywhere between 1 to 2 bars from the H mark in slow speeds.
I just did 1000km ride on Sunday and due to the colder weather and the speed, the heat gauge stayed below half mark, so it is not bad all the time.

When I was looking for the advice on the Vulcan before I bought it, people on this forum recommended Ivan's ECU re-flash for the bike.
This will fix and correct many "issues".
I haven't done it yet, but I am planning to, after the riding season ends here.

Here is the link: Ivan's Performance Products

Have a good one.
If what you describe doesn't affect performance , it is not an issue.

The heat issue most have with the voyager is a rider comfort issue. Too damn hot to ride slow during the summer. It doesn't generate any more heat than the Nomads, but all the fairings keep the heat longer.
revrider likes this.

2010 Vulcan Voyager 1700 ABS, 2007 Vulcan Mean Streak 1600
2012 Concours 1400, 2011 Versys 650, 2012 KLX250S

see my garage for list of accessories

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2016, 08:00 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by VulcanDrifter View Post
Hi Folks:

Looking 'model year' advice on Voyager 1700's. I'm thinking about buying a used 2010 ~2015 Voyager. I've read that heat management was a problem with earlier Voyagers and I believe there's a kit that can be added that mimic the later Kawasaki fix. Are there other design difference that would make a later model Voyager much more desirable than an earlier model if they both had similar mileage and were in similar shape? Are there issues to look out for with earlier or later models? Thanks for any advice.
The KAMS was created to improve rider comfort my moving the heat from the radiator and rear exhaust head away from the rider. The unintended result from the KAMS install was that the engine runs a little hotter.

There was nothing about the '12 and later Voyagers that called me to trade my '10 in on one.

Find a bargain, buy it, and make it your own with the money saved.

I never added the KAMS on mine because I rarely rode in traffic, and had other bikes to ride in the heat of summer.

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2016, 09:27 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2011 Vulcan Voyager
Color: Blue/Silver
Don't let the lack of the KAMS on the pre 2012 Voyagers stop you from buying one. I have a 2011 and the 2 biggest things I did for heat management were to wrap the pipes and added a heat shield that covers the gap between the tank and seat helping to deflect the heat from rising straight up and cooking me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VulcanDrifter View Post
Hi Folks:

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2016, 09:42 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
If what you describe doesn't affect performance , it is not an issue.

The heat issue most have with the voyager is a rider comfort issue. Too damn hot to ride slow during the summer. It doesn't generate any more heat than the Nomads, but all the fairings keep the heat longer.
When the temp gets up high enough for the fan to kick in it actually retards the ignition a certain amount which definitely does affect performance. There are things that can be done tho, such as adding a manual fan switch, header wrap, Ivan's ECU flash, etc which other people have mentioned.

2012 Kawasaki Voyager
Thunder Manufacturing Round Air Kit
Dynojet PCV Fuel Processor
Dynojet AT-300 Autotune Module
Freedom Performance True Dual's (racing Baffles)
Kuryakyn Offset Highway Pegs
Michellin Commander ll's Front & Back
RacnRay's Throttle Grip
iPod Connector
Manual Fan Switch
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2016, 10:26 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlars View Post
When the temp gets up high enough for the fan to kick in it actually retards the ignition a certain amount which definitely does affect performance. There are things that can be done tho, such as adding a manual fan switch, header wrap, Ivan's ECU flash, etc which other people have mentioned.
My fan only came on when sitting at an extremely long light. The fan would bring the temp down and shut off. Never had the fan run while riding, so never a performance issue.

Starting to sound like the '09-'11 bikes are the desirable ones to own, unless you ride in traffic all the time.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-18-2016, 06:20 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Vulcan Voyager 1700
Color: Red/Graphite
I have a '14 and heat still an issue. Always running in the top half of gauge. And performance does drop off when it gets high. I've added a BAK and Vance & Hines pipes and it does run alot cooler now.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-19-2016, 06:41 AM

Not much difference between 2009 and 2010 models, 2011 models got some transmission improvements (less whine and easier shifting), 2012 got the air management system and GPS interface with the radio, 2013 and on I think no further changes except color.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-19-2016, 02:09 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the details gv.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode