The life of a Noob... - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-06-2016, 07:34 PM Thread Starter

Year/Make/Model: 2012 Kawasaki Nomad
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Red and Silver
The life of a Noob...

Ahh the life of being a noob. Riding around on my new to me 2012 Nomad that I picked up a few weeks ago. Back in 1984 I bought a new Yamaha XT350 which I had a lot of fun on for a couple of years until I did an unintended handstand at about 40 mph while jumping a ditch. Fast forward thru life to 2012, which is when I began lurking on this forum, and bought a mint 86 KLR250 which was fine for me but the wife wasn't having any part of the skinny seat without backrest. Sold that after about a year, moved from Houston to Nashville in 2014, observed the rolling hills of God's country, and the Vulcan Forum led me to purchase a 2008 Vulcan 900LT which I had for about a year before I decided I needed a bigger ride for the highways, so I sold the 900 in 2015 (which is a great bike btw) and purchased a 2009 1700LT...which I sold in early 2016 because I am stupid I think. And now I have learned the error of my ways and have purchased my 2012 Nomad which I swear, to my wife anyway, is my last bike purchase.

My "noob" status is because 1) I don't seem to keep bikes too long and 2) before this recent purchase I am that guy who takes his bike to the overpriced local shop to perform the routine maintenance. To paint a clearer picture, although I have been lurking here for several years, only last week did I finally see a post inquiring of the bolt size on oil pan, I actually knew the answer since I had just done my first ever oil change by myself and I was so excited to actually be able to answer something that I rushed to type the reply....only to realize I forgot my password so I couldn't log in. Lost my chance to add value to the forum. 3) Yesterday, while cruising about 75 on my home turf (aka where the cops aren't) I came up on a small group of touring Harley riders. I intentionally set my cruise control on so I could casually wave at them with my right hand as I passed them. A true Noob cool move, until some hours later while watching Games of Thrones it suddenly occurred to me that they prolly had cruise control also. Oh well, I am a Noob.

But I do have a few observations for my fellow noobs:
1. When the experts on here state "it's easy to do and only takes 15 minutes...figure it will take you four times as long and the degree of difficulty will range from medium to almost impossible for an unmechanical Noob.

2. The difference between 900/1700 and 5/6 gears on the highway is the difference between a Cadillac and an "insert any small car here".

3. Stock exhaust is fine.....until you ride your bike for the first time with your upgraded slip ons, in my case V&H slip ons, it has a "testosterone increase" effect...

4. If you decide after watching a few youtube videos that swapping your stock grips for ISO grips because, well, it's easy...their may be no greater frustration in life than trying to get those stupid stock end cap thingys off. Geez Louise, I had visions of taking a sledgehammer to em...but I got em off.

5. If you decide after watching a few youtube videos that you're ready to do your own oil change because, well, it's easy...just know their is a 50/50 chance you'll have to take the ole flathead screwdriver to the filter to get that sucker undone like I did. But I got it...

6. If you decide to put a visor on your headlight because the video you watched showed them doing it in exactly 1 minute and 38 seconds....just know that their is a chance their is nothing for the visor to clamp onto so you have to figure something out. Think 15 minutes.

7. If you decide after reading this forum that you must have your ECU flashed by Ivan, of which I did, just know that I engaged in a classic MMA fight utilizing a rear naked choke and a suplex to get that ECU out of it's rubber mount....I got it tho and it is on it's way to Ivan.

8. A driver backrest is a HUGE improvement on driver comfort.

9. Last but not least....RACNRAY is sneaky wise. I was in my Noob ignorant bliss and had no idea that I had a slight throttle delay...until I read his thread and all the comments. Now, every time I twist the throttle for the first time I notice the delay, I think of RACNRAYS throttle mod, and I already have necessary future dollar signs going thru my head. Sometimes it's just easier being a Noob I tell ya. PS: to this point, sure is a hard sell on the wife, she's like "seriously?, a slight delay? The bike still looks pretty"....

Sorry to be long winded but in my defense I have been lurking for four years so I've "saved up" my comments.

I really just wanted to say thank you to all those who supply a wealth of great knowledge that has already saved me a ton of money (and cost me) by giving me direction on how to maximize the performance of my bike and the know how to tackle some basic maintenance items that I wouldn't have done in the past.

Shout out to anyone in the Nashville area! Ride Safe All
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-06-2016, 07:45 PM

Year/Make/Model: 2009 Vulcan Voyager
Color: Silver and Black
Well I got excited when I read NOOB, without my glasses on, I thought this thread was about something else, oh silly me!!!!

(Just kidding) great write up and yes you are right on a lot of the points, but that is why we love doing things for each other, it helps us save money, feel more connected to the motorcycle and we understand something better when it breaks, people on this board are very helpful and the answer to what you seek is only a search away.

Welcome, glad you remembered your password and only use the word NOOB in big font for people like me!!!

Thanks,
Robert

Thanks for looking!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Robert
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-06-2016, 09:43 PM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2011 Nomad
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickster213 View Post
Ahh the life of being a noob. Riding around on my new to me 2012 Nomad that I picked up a few weeks ago.
But I do have a few observations for my fellow noobs:
1. When the experts on here state "it's easy to do and only takes 15 minutes...figure it will take you four times as long and the degree of difficulty will range from medium to almost impossible for an unmechanical Noob.

2. The difference between 900/1700 and 5/6 gears on the highway is the difference between a Cadillac and an "insert any small car here".

4. If you decide after watching a few youtube videos that swapping your stock grips for ISO grips because, well, it's easy...their may be no greater frustration in life than trying to get those stupid stock end cap thingys off. Geez Louise, I had visions of taking a sledgehammer to em...but I got em off.

5. If you decide after watching a few youtube videos that you're ready to do your own oil change because, well, it's easy...just know their is a 50/50 chance you'll have to take the ole flathead screwdriver to the filter to get that sucker undone like I did. But I got it...

8. A driver backrest is a HUGE improvement on driver comfort.

9. Last but not least....RACNRAY is sneaky wise. I was in my Noob ignorant bliss and had no idea that I had a slight throttle delay...until I read his thread and all the comments. Now, every time I twist the throttle for the first time I notice the delay, I think of RACNRAYS throttle mod, and I already have necessary future dollar signs going thru my head.
LMAO Noob! I have experienced and completely agree with every one of your numbered items that I've re-posted based on my 6 months with my 2011 Nomad (purchased as a new leftover in November 2015, believe it or not!). Not saying I disagree with the others; just that I've experienced each of these.

Happy and safe riding,
Dan

2011 Nomad: Black & Metallic Gray, Chuckster's Light Bar, Rac'nRay's Throttle Mod, Homemade Oversize Lowers, Kawasaki Trunk, Ivan's Flash

Past:
2014 900 Classic LT: (Sold to a happy buyer)
1975 Suzuki GT 185 (Great little twin)

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-06-2016, 10:19 PM
Lifetime Premium

Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017

Year/Make/Model: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic
Displacement/CC's: 903
Color: Silver
Garage
Well we all have to start somewhere and something's are easier for some than others. Things will get easier for you as get a few more miles on ya. As far as #2 is concerned, when I look down at the speedo and it says 90. I don't think about the difference, I just look in my mirror and smile.

"As long as I have the voices in my head, I'll never ride alone."

2006 Vulcan 900 classic
Mustang Day Tripper seat
Cobra Light Bar
Cobra Air Scoop
Cobra short sissy bar
Cobra Lowers
Baron's front and rear pulley
Baron's Big and Nasty pipes
Leatherlyke hard bags
Blue Superbrites LED accent lights
Chrome Woo Loo Air Horn
Avon Grips
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-06-2016, 11:59 PM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2012 Nomad
Color: Red & Silver
Garage
What a beautiful looking bike- love the colours!!

2005 Classic 800 (sold)

2012 Nomad 1700
Ivanized(2)
RACNRAY throttle mod,Avon Air grips
Vance & Hines slip ons
HD highway pegs
Grasshopper backrest
S/Steel pannier kick guards
Custom lowers
LED running lights
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-07-2016, 02:41 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
I see a Vaquero or Voyager in your future. Once you test ride one on a windy day...
cannonballs likes this.

2010 Vulcan Voyager 1700 ABS, 2007 Vulcan Mean Streak 1600
2012 Concours 1400, 2011 Versys 650, 2012 KLX250S

see my garage for list of accessories
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-07-2016, 08:27 PM Thread Starter

You may be right although my wife will have a conniption...where in middle tenn are you two wheel?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-07-2016, 08:28 PM Thread Starter

Agreed Diggles!...
Diggles likes this.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-07-2016, 08:44 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickster213 View Post
You may be right although my wife will have a conniption...where in middle tenn are you two wheel?
Lincoln county. The closest I get to Nashville is Murfreesboro to the southeast, and Leipers Fork to the southwest.

Not a city person at all.

2010 Vulcan Voyager 1700 ABS, 2007 Vulcan Mean Streak 1600
2012 Concours 1400, 2011 Versys 650, 2012 KLX250S

see my garage for list of accessories
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-08-2016, 01:30 AM

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Vulacan Voyager
Color: Red/Gray
Garage
Great post! Truly made me laugh! Keep the rubber side down!

They call me Pop Pop because I'm too cool to be called grandfather!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode