Oil change headache - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 09:38 AM Thread Starter

Unhappy Oil change headache

When changing the oil on my Nomad last week I ran into a problem that caused me lots of frustration until I finally solved it. I was wondering if anyone else has run into this same situation or if I am the only one who's apparently dense as dirt.

As we know, the Nomad has two oil drain plugs that are several inches from each other and hidden in between the ribs on the bottom of the engine. After removing both plugs and draining the oil I wiped off the front hole and loosely screwed it's bolt back in. Immediately behind this hole is what appears for all the world to be the second drain hole. Once wiped off it was all silvery and shiny and looked exactly like a proper drain hole, perfect for screwing in the bolt. With a small amount of oil appearing to drip out of it, I was sure this was the second hole and tried for over twenty minutes to start the bolt. Since I couldn't get it to start I was convinced that the treads somehow got burred and it just wouldn't go. Adding to the problem is the fact that I waited to late in the afternoon to start this project and visibility was diminishing by the minute.

The problem is that this silvery and shiny "hole" is not the rear oil drain hole and the oil that I though was dripping out of it was actually running down from the front hole and dripping off at this location. After tightening the front bolt and wiping off everything with a thick rag I then saw oil dripping from an area an inch or two back and to the side of this imposter and then I located the real drain hole and the bolt went easily back in.

Since I can't even see the rear plug when laying on my back, it was easy for me to be fooled. I'm tempted to spray it with high temp black paint so it won't fool me again.

What in the heck is that "hole" for that I mistook for the rear drain hole? Anybody know?

Happy 2009 1700 Nomad owner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 10:44 AM

Send a message via AIM to Vulcan Hammer Send a message via Skype™ to Vulcan Hammer
Bigmacbkr,

If I am understanding my Service Manual correctly, under Engine Lube System, Section 7-17, that opening (actually a hex socket drive, plug) is one of the "Oil Passage Plugs". There are at least 3 that I can see. They can be removed by a service tech to check oil pressure with a screw-in guage.

Hope this helps!
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-23-2011, 01:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan Hammer View Post
Bigmacbkr,

If I am understanding my Service Manual correctly, under Engine Lube System, Section 7-17, that opening (actually a hex socket drive, plug) is one of the "Oil Passage Plugs". There are at least 3 that I can see. They can be removed by a service tech to check oil pressure with a screw-in guage.

Hope this helps!
Thanks for the info VH.....wow bet that's a messy project!

Well I guess I'm the only person who ever got it confused for the oil hole!!!

Happy 2009 1700 Nomad owner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode