Any issues with overheating in traffic. - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2015, 10:12 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Any issues with overheating in traffic.

I've had my Vaquero for a couple of days now but due to rain I haven't gotten too much riding in however I am noticing already that it seems to get hot quickly at lights etc... I think I already had read that the heat off the motor is a minor complaint but I'm wondering if I got stuck in some serious traffic would this thing overheat?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2015, 10:23 PM
BOTM Winner
May 2015

Garage
No. Its a true tepm reading. Vs a dummy reading in vehicles. Cars has a set/ constant reading, then overheat.
vaqueros temp is actuall, which most are not use to seeing it fluctuate. Fan kicks on and its doing its job.

"Steve"
2011 Vaquero
2008 900 Custom(Sold)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Dynojet PCV ,THUNDER MFG BAK,
VANCE & HINES PRO PIPE W/CUSTOM CERAMIC CT,
RacnRay's Throttle mod and Dyno tuned
AUX DRIVING LIGHT,BATTISTINI GRIPS AND PASS PEGS,THUNDER RAPTOR FLOORBOARDS,
STITCH ON TIME CUSTOM TEMPERPEDIC SADDLE
polk audio speakers, sound extreme amp
Old 06-06-2015, 07:45 AM

Yup. The only thing thats gonna overheat on the bike is your nuts when the fan kicks in. Ever since I installed my air kit, the bike takes longer to heat up at a long light and is running below the center hash on the temp gauge at speed. On highway when the sun is not blaring at 90 degrees, the temp gauge reads 2nd hash when running at highway speeds. I think my fuel processor has a lot to do with it to.

The short answer is the bike is a big 1700. The motor runs hot at a stand still. It wont overheat. Imagine air cooled Harleys with no liquid cooling and no fan.

2004 Vulcan 1500 Classic "Sasha" (SOLD)
2014 Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE "Candie"

Old 06-06-2015, 10:17 AM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2010 Kawasaki Voyager
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Red/Black
Garage
What year is your bike? I just bought a 2010 Voyager and had the heat management kit installed. It made a huge difference in the heat from what I felt on the test drive. I think they made this standard after 2012 for Vaqueros and Voyagers. It does make the temp on the gauge go up a little, from what I have read. Probably not quite as efficient as it was blowing all of that hot air on the rider, but it does its job of keeping the rider and the engine cool.

I went for a long ride yesterday in almost 90 heat. In stop and go several times and the heat off the engine was less than with my old Honda Sabre. A lot less. Nobody complains about the heat coming off a Sabre (1100 cc). Well, OK, I did when I was riding across Oklahoma and Kansas in 110+ heat and full sun, but that was frikin' HOT.

Last week I got stuck in a bad traffic jam on the freeway. 45 min to go maybe a mile. The temp on the gauge got up near the red, but never actually made it. I was quite hot sitting on the bike, but there was no wind and it was probably mid 90s or higher at that spot with all those vehicles churning out heat.

Installed:
RAM mount for TomTom Rider 400 (with anti theft module)
6000k LED Headlight & Spots; Kisan Headlight Modulator (works with LEDs),
__Brake Light Modulator, LED License Plate Holder
Longer Kickstand
Dobeck EJK 3.0
Lucky Mirror Extenders
Misc. RAM Mounts for Cup Holder, SPOT, Phone, etc.
Chuckster BAK, Trailer Hitch and Cooler Rack
Wiring for Trailer
Ray's Throttle Mod
Things to do:
Drilling Baffle Plates (Maybe)
Paint HF Tag Along Trailer to Match Bike

LET'S RIDE
Old 06-06-2015, 09:14 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Color: Orange SE
Garage
He's got a Vaquero; the KAMS system isn't for the Vaquero.

My current 'max' was a 94 degree day and I happened to be doing a little bit of parking lot (traffic IN the parking lot, then a couple of red lights), and it got pretty warm. But I've never seen it hit the "H".

If the needle isn't past the 'red zone' and your high temp light doesn't come on, you're fine. Though it's much more pleasant when you're moving and it's running cool!

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
Old 06-06-2015, 09:29 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for the reassurance. I ride my bike to work 30 miles each way and I'm always one idiot away from a 30-45min ride turning into a crawling 90min ride. This bike seems to run hotter than my 800cc Suzuki C50. My Suzuki doesn't have a heat gage, just a light, so while I've felt it get hot in traffic I never had a gage to show me how hot it was actually getting and seeing the Vaquero inch towards the top at long lights had me a bit concerned.
Old 06-07-2015, 08:34 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
Yeah like sbg8r said; unlike your car, the temp gauge is "real" on the Vaquero. If your cars water temp gauge was real, it would do the same thing. On almost all cars built in the last several decades though, the gauges are just "analog idiot lights". They go up to a certain point and no farther, unless the car overheats, then the needle jumps to the "H" and the light comes on. A common complaint on automotive forums is "It was running just fine, not hot at all, then it overheated instantly!", it was heating up and heating up; the gauge just didn't tell them.

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Old 06-07-2015, 05:06 PM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
I have a 2011 Voyager.....

My fan will come on first mark after center.

I put in engine ice the first week I had it. Bought mine in Las Vegas on a 120 degree day. It was very uncomfortable to ride then.

Another thing you can do if the heat is cooking your right leg is wrap your pipes. It makes a huge difference on your legs. I did it right after I got my 2011 Voyager. Now I don't need the air management kit. I have put over 40k miles on it since in very hot temps. Yes it will get up to the 3/4 mark in traffic and stoplights. But mine cools down to mid way after I get over 35 mph on a 90 degree plus day.

The Vaq's are not as bad as the Voyager for rider heat discomfort apparently....

Bubba in TX

2011 Voyager "Betty Clunker"

A bad day on a motorcycle is better than a good day in a car

Some people collect T-shirts
I actually ride

Voyager 1700 owners...
WRAP your pipes....
You will be glad you did...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
U.S.A.F. Retired

Nye County Nevada
Motor Officer Retired
Blue Knights Texas 43
Old 06-09-2015, 08:45 PM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2010 Kawasaki Voyager
Color: Red/Black
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romans5.8 View Post
He's got a Vaquero; the KAMS system isn't for the Vaquero.
Whew! I'm glad I got the Voyager instead of the Vaquero I was originally looking at!

Installed:
RAM mount for TomTom Rider 400 (with anti theft module)
6000k LED Headlight & Spots; Kisan Headlight Modulator (works with LEDs),
__Brake Light Modulator, LED License Plate Holder
Longer Kickstand
Dobeck EJK 3.0
Lucky Mirror Extenders
Misc. RAM Mounts for Cup Holder, SPOT, Phone, etc.
Chuckster BAK, Trailer Hitch and Cooler Rack
Wiring for Trailer
Ray's Throttle Mod
Things to do:
Drilling Baffle Plates (Maybe)
Paint HF Tag Along Trailer to Match Bike

LET'S RIDE
Old 06-09-2015, 09:17 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabre-t View Post
Whew! I'm glad I got the Voyager instead of the Vaquero I was originally looking at!

For whatever reason, it doesn't seem the Vaquero really needs KAMS. Perhaps just the less wind protection down below or something, I dunno. But the Vaq doesn't run as hot, rider wise, as the Voyager.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement