It may be me - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-02-2015, 03:59 AM Thread Starter

It may be me

Its that time of year for me to whine about the fools throwing their mower discharge into the road. A few clippings not so bad but I daily see instances where you can't see the center line. It's not just the grass in the face from other traffic but it's simply dangerous. I had a buddy go down a couple of years ago when rounding a corner to find green road. I usually get some responses about rider responsibility and cornering. Blah blah. Bottom line if someone flies you the hi sign or worse gets off to heave a handful of into your face so you know what it feels like to ride through their mess... "It might be me"

Here we go for this year,
Jimmy D

Ride it like you rented it!
Jimmy D
1700 Classic
FP combat 2 into 1
PC V
Tsukayu jumbo hard strong
Cobra fatty hiway bars
Kury pegs
Grasshopper backrest
Bestem luggage rack
go cruise throttle lock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-02-2015, 07:19 AM
Top Contributor

Jimmy, no it's not you. All we have to worry about around here is beer can shrapnel. You can get taken down real easy riding past a D.O.T. highway mower. Seriously, I never thought too much about the fresh slick grass on the road, but I will from now on.

Thanks!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-02-2015, 08:12 AM

I have seen leaf blower operators that fall into that category.

One guy was blowing a Sahara Desert's worth of sand out of his driveway with his back toward oncoming traffic, (ie: me). When he finally turned and saw the bike coming, he stopped and waved apologetically.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-02-2015, 08:31 AM

That is definitely not just you. People just don't think when using their mowers in that manor. It not the grass that hurts its the grass blown out and obscuring vision. Its the sticks, sand, and other debris that hurts. The flinch that is caused driving through that debris field also takes your eyes off the road, even for a moment and that is never a good thing.

01 Kawaski 1500 Nomad
02 Honda 1100 Sabre
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-02-2015, 06:16 PM
Peg
Top Contributor

Garage
On the other hand... the smell of freshly mowed grass in the springtime, from the seat of a motorcycle, is a truly wonderful thing.

(Can you tell we're heading into our winter down here?)

Paul (Peg) Elliott
New Plymouth, NZ. '10 Voyager 1700
'02 Nomad 1500(sold) '97 VN800B (sold)
2 Honda's, 2 Suzuki's, 1 Yamaha (all dead)
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-02-2015, 06:19 PM
BOTM Winner
May 2015

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peg View Post
On the other hand... the smell of freshly mowed grass in the springtime, from the seat of a motorcycle, is a truly wonderful thing.

(Can you tell we're heading into our winter down here?)
definitely better than road kill!! ^_^

"Steve"
2011 Vaquero
2008 900 Custom(Sold)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Dynojet PCV ,THUNDER MFG BAK,
VANCE & HINES PRO PIPE W/CUSTOM CERAMIC CT,
RacnRay's Throttle mod and Dyno tuned
AUX DRIVING LIGHT,BATTISTINI GRIPS AND PASS PEGS,THUNDER RAPTOR FLOORBOARDS,
STITCH ON TIME CUSTOM TEMPERPEDIC SADDLE
polk audio speakers, sound extreme amp
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-02-2015, 06:29 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
Yep, it's a pain. Slick, obscures the road, etc. People don't really think about it. They don't have the experience or foreknowledge to understand why that's an issue.

I live on a private road in a private "subdivision" (in quotes because its 3 houses on 12 acres down a paved private road. Not exactly suburban density! Ha!). We have all of the utilities underground, a handful of reasonable HOA rules, we all have nice concrete driveways and shrubs. I just think clippings all over everything looks terrible, so I don't mow them out onto the road. But I've also lived on public roads, and when your front yard is littered with beer cans and potato chip bags; you have a little less concern about whether the road looks good!!

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode