vaquero cruise control not working i think the problem is.... - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-01-2015, 10:36 PM Thread Starter

vaquero cruise control not working i think the problem is....

so my cruise isnt working on my vaq.

i think they problem is the brake pedal, brake cut-off input to the system... my brake light switch seem to be sticky so the brake light is always on, now i was under the bike last night and found two switches, one being a window switch with a pin and lever wich is actuated with a set screw on the brake pedal its about an inch square and 3/8 in thick maybe, this switch is on the outside of the brake pedal area.

there is a second switch that i believe that operates the brake light- standard pul pin switch like ive seen on a million bikes for brake light switch, that is the switch that sticks, the pin sticks some times in the up possition so when you put pressure on the brake pedal it takes a second for the pin to pull out of the switch body...

now the problem is... how does the cruise cut off from brake input? off signal from the brake light? or off this window switch that i cant figure out where goes?

i might have to take the bike in for warrenty repair over the brake light switch either way, as i shot some silicone lube in there and its no better.

any help? anybody know what that first switch is? ill get pictures tonight if i can and post them, as well as dig into the wiring diagram when i got off work.

i dont like the idea of cruise on a bike, but i like the idea of something not working properly even less.

current bikes:
2014 Vaquero
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 hardly-a-sporster 1400 (yes 1400), streched/raked, getting turbo'd, and huyabusa forks
1979 xs650 chopper -built not bought
1978 xs750 frankenbike
2007 ninja ex250r getting naked

Last edited by jborushko; 05-01-2015 at 10:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-01-2015, 10:49 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
If it's under warranty, take it to the dealer. I'm all for wrenching on my own bike but if something isn't working, take it in!

I'm not sure if the cruise control ties into the brake light circuit or has it's own switches. It could even be redundant, using it's own switches and the brake light circuit. I am curious though.

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-01-2015, 11:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romans5.8 View Post
If it's under warranty, take it to the dealer. I'm all for wrenching on my own bike but if something isn't working, take it in!
id like to have an idea on it so i can explain to brain dead people at the dealership. if its a part i can tell them about ahead of time, then the wait to fix it wont be so long. i have other bikes but with the riding season opening up, i need my big bike to get the old lady out. and the bike is my primary mod of transportation

current bikes:
2014 Vaquero
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 hardly-a-sporster 1400 (yes 1400), streched/raked, getting turbo'd, and huyabusa forks
1978 xs750 frankenbike

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-01-2015, 11:57 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
The cruise has a minimum of 4 contact releases. Foot/hand brake clutch and on off.

Sounds like a headache. Like Romans said let the warranty figure it out and fix it.

10 Voyager
01 1500 Drifter
VRA Central Alabama Chapter 1-61
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-02-2015, 07:53 AM
Lifetime Premium

C/C failure to operate is common due to how Kawi has the system designed.

FIRST OF ALL...the switches used for the clutch and brake levers can and will fail to operate properly due to crap getting into the switches and the electrical contacts. Removing the switches, spraying electrical contact cleaner inside and blowing them out can restore proper operation. My clutch switch has needed to be cleaned a few times in my ownership.

The switch used for the rear brake pedal is the square one with the thin metal arm. There is a small adjustment screw that is used for proper adjustment. I had to readjust mine a couple of times.

The last switch is down at the throttle body and so far I have had nor heard of anyone having a problem with this switch.

Check out the first 3 switches I mentioned, will prolly be the fix there somewhere.

RACNRAY

"TRUE HAPPINESS IS IN THE HEART,NOT IN THE OUTSIDE FIXES!!"
WITH OVER 42 YEARS AS A MOTORCYCLE TECHNICIAN/HI-PO SHOP OWNER I AM A PURVEYOR OF FACT NOT FICTION!
"WE LIVE OUR LIVES IN CHAINS NEVER KNOWING WE HAD THE KEY"
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-02-2015, 12:04 PM

My cruise control packed up when I got off the ferry coming home in March, then my heated left glove packed up about 5 minutes later, at least I could ride with my hand on the throttle and my other hand in my lap out of the cold, anyway..........
A quick search of the old inter web the following day revealed that the main culprit when this happens is the micro switch on the rear brake. It's easy to clean all the crud off it, which I did and then lubed it up with some teflon anti this that and the other spray, and it's worked fine since. If memory serves, it is separate to the switch for the brake light.

2005 Harley Davidson Road King
2015 Harley Davidson Softail Deluxe
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-02-2015, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jborushko View Post
so my cruise isnt working on my vaq.

i think they problem is the brake pedal, brake cut-off input to the system... my brake light switch seem to be sticky so the brake light is always on, now i was under the bike last night and found two switches, one being a window switch with a pin and lever wich is actuated with a set screw on the brake pedal its about an inch square and 3/8 in thick maybe, this switch is on the outside of the brake pedal area.

there is a second switch that i believe that operates the brake light- standard pul pin switch like ive seen on a million bikes for brake light switch, that is the switch that sticks, the pin sticks some times in the up possition so when you put pressure on the brake pedal it takes a second for the pin to pull out of the switch body...

now the problem is... how does the cruise cut off from brake input? off signal from the brake light? or off this window switch that i cant figure out where goes?

i might have to take the bike in for warrenty repair over the brake light switch either way, as i shot some silicone lube in there and its no better.

any help? anybody know what that first switch is? ill get pictures tonight if i can and post them, as well as dig into the wiring diagram when i got off work.

i dont like the idea of cruise on a bike, but i like the idea of something not working properly even less.
I think that I have the answer to one of your questions. My cruise would shut off every time I turned on the turn signals. The problem was a trailer light converter that changes your trailer lights to turn/brake lights on the same wire. This was giving a tiny mili second back feed to the cold side of the brake light system when I hit the turn signal and would cancel the cruise. Thus the brake light switch is the cancel switch for the cruise.
Removed the converter and went to 5 wire trailer connector and extra lights on the trailer problem solved.

05 V2K aka SKULLY
10 Voyager aka BIG RED
78 Yamaha XS1100 aka WILEY
Love em all but the V2K
is the first choice
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-02-2015, 09:42 PM
Top Contributor

There is a mechanical switch between the cylinders. believe tied to the throttle.
A few days after installing an air kit on my voyager my cruise stopped working.

Was driving me nuts. I finally found that the rubber hose that gets blocked to help
eliminate decel pop had vibrated into the mechanical swith. A simple rerout resolved
the issue.

gb

Gary

SW Michigan

2009 Kawasaki Voyager
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-04-2015, 05:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACNRAY View Post
C/C failure to operate is common due to how Kawi has the system designed.

The switch used for the rear brake pedal is the square one with the thin metal arm. There is a small adjustment screw that is used for proper adjustment. I had to readjust mine a couple of times.

RACNRAY
once again RACNRAY is the man with the answers. cool beans, i have already messed with the adjustment on that switch and it seems to have made the differance.

my rear brake light switch is still sticking keeping the rear brake on, but ill have them change that out at the stealer, thats a safety issue and will be covered by warrenty repair.

I just dont like going into a repair not having found the problem myself, that way i can point them in the right dirrection and usually get it fixed in a matter of hours rather than days

current bikes:
2014 Vaquero

1978 xs750 frankenbike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode