Replacing Rear Shocks - Voyager... - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
Kap
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Replacing Rear Shocks - Voyager...

GRRRRRRR..... How hard can it be to replace rear shocks????? Looking at the manual, this appears to be a straight forward process and the hardest part appears to be getting the darn saddlebags off and back on the bike. I won't cause a ruckus by telling everyone how much the local dealer wanted to do the job, but the wife and I could have a nice weekend in Vegas for what they expected me to pay (gambling excluded).

To make a long story short, I went out and ordered a set of Progressives and wanted to have them installed, rather than deal with it myself and have to go out to buy a bike lift.

Questions:

Is the replacement of the shocks as easy as it seems from reading the shop manual? Seems pretty basic.... Remove left bag, remove left shock, install left shock, install left bag... Repeat on right side. If there is a trick to it let me know. If needed, I can try to use another shop locally to do the install.

Is there anyway to get around lifting up the bike to complete the install? I would love to just bolt these on, but worry that a lift is mandatory. Maybe I need to just pick up the $120 bike lift from PepBoys and dig into this very expensive repair job?

Input requested.....

Kap

2010 Classic LT - Imperial Red & Metallic Titanium ("
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
")

Friends tell me I need to get in shape. Round is a shape, isn't it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 05:14 PM
BOTM Winner
May 2015

Garage
If you have a harbor freight close by, better deal on lift. For the other question on getting around it without a lift, I don't have an answer

"Steve"
2011 Vaquero
2008 900 Custom(Sold)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Dynojet PCV ,THUNDER MFG BAK,
VANCE & HINES PRO PIPE W/CUSTOM CERAMIC CT,
RacnRay's Throttle mod and Dyno tuned
AUX DRIVING LIGHT,BATTISTINI GRIPS AND PASS PEGS,THUNDER RAPTOR FLOORBOARDS,
STITCH ON TIME CUSTOM TEMPERPEDIC SADDLE
polk audio speakers, sound extreme amp
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 06:25 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
If its something where you dont think you'll use the lift again, all you need is enough lift to take the weight off the shock, to where tire is just to leave the ground. The jack for you truck or car may be just do it. Lift at rear most part of frame from right side. This will take the pressure off and front tire and kick stand will stablize bike. Best to have helper near by, but should be good to go. Remove nut on top and bottom of shock, slide old ones off and new ones on.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

2005 800 classic
2012 Voyager ABS

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kap View Post
GRRRRRRR..... How hard can it be to replace rear shocks????? Looking at the manual, this appears to be a straight forward process and the hardest part appears to be getting the darn saddlebags off and back on the bike. I won't cause a ruckus by telling everyone how much the local dealer wanted to do the job, but the wife and I could have a nice weekend in Vegas for what they expected me to pay (gambling excluded).

To make a long story short, I went out and ordered a set of Progressives and wanted to have them installed, rather than deal with it myself and have to go out to buy a bike lift.

Questions:

Is the replacement of the shocks as easy as it seems from reading the shop manual? Seems pretty basic.... Remove left bag, remove left shock, install left shock, install left bag... Repeat on right side. If there is a trick to it let me know. If needed, I can try to use another shop locally to do the install.

Is there anyway to get around lifting up the bike to complete the install? I would love to just bolt these on, but worry that a lift is mandatory. Maybe I need to just pick up the $120 bike lift from PepBoys and dig into this very expensive repair job?

Input requested.....
It's not quite as easy as you may think. Remove saddlebags, yes, but you won't be able to simply remove the shock because you can't get to the top nut without removing the plastichrome trim, and to get that trim off you are supposed to remove the trunk. The shop manual also says to remove the rear fender front cover..... not sure why? And since the Progressive shocks are shorter than stock, you will need to remove both original shocks before installing the new ones, so definitely need to raise and support the rear of the bike.
There are a few short-cuts, remove the fasteners from the front of the trim and bend it out enough to get the nut and shock off will save some time. And using a floor jack under the rear tire will help adjust the swingarm to get the shorter shocks on.

Garry

2009 Voyager ABS:
Sold at 679,465 kms
Improve handling, suspension and tire life
with Garry's Fork Brace.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
Kap
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Thank you Steve, Rick, and Garry. Good info and it will help.

Kap

2010 Classic LT - Imperial Red & Metallic Titanium ("
")

Friends tell me I need to get in shape. Round is a shape, isn't it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode