Road Rules - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 07:31 AM Thread Starter

Road Rules

Often when passing a big rig, I get parallel to the cab and suddenly he hits his air brakes. Is this a greeting?

When I'm in the passing lane and come up on two rigs in right hand lane, the rig behind the other will suddenly switch to the passing lane forcing me to slow down to, sometimes, 10 miles below the posted speed limit. Is this on purpose?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 07:58 AM

My guess...they probably aren't hitting the air brakes. You probably heard the moisture blow off valve in the air lines.
My guess for the second part of the question is carelessness, or ignorance. Hopefully its just a brain fart, we all make mistakes. I would doubt it's done on purpose because there would be no point in it.

01 Kawaski 1500 Nomad
02 Honda 1100 Sabre
post #3 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 08:43 AM
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by VagaBond661 View Post
Often when passing a big rig, I get parallel to the cab and suddenly he hits his air brakes. Is this a greeting?

When I'm in the passing lane and come up on two rigs in right hand lane, the rig behind the other will suddenly switch to the passing lane forcing me to slow down to, sometimes, 10 miles below the posted speed limit. Is this on purpose?
On the air brake sound, what you hear may not be the rigs brakes. Could be the sound of an over-pressure valve letting off some pressure. It has been a half century since I drove a rig, but I seem to remember that sound periodically w/o applying the brakes.

On purposely slowing you down, youd have to ask the driver. Just maybe hes had a couple bad experiences with bikers and views them as hard to see pests. Maybe the rig in front is doing 1 to 2 mph slower than he wants to cruise and hes just slow in passing, which is most likely the case.

In any event, the truckers are out there on the road trying to make a living while were out there just for pleasure. I try to remember that and make life as easy on them as I can. That means making myself as visible as possible and putting as much distance away from them as possible, as quick as possible. And thats not just for their benefit.

post #4 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 09:39 AM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Air pressure blow off. An automatic function of the air system....

I you cannot see the trucks mirrors, he cannot see you at all. So don't blame bad driving on a truck driver when some of the problem is yourself... BUt trucks try to beat upcoming cars just like cage drivers do. They just do not have the ability to go faster while doing it. I am sure the same has happened to you while in a cage going down the highway....

Get far enough over whichever side so you see the truck driver or mirrors. NEVER ride behind a truck in the center up close. Then when he does something stupid... which they do.... I zip up the the drivers side and give him the finger and fist.... but that's just me....

I am not defending truck drivers cause I am not wild about them either.

Bubba in TX

2011 Voyager "Betty Clunker"

A bad day on a motorcycle is better than a good day in a car

Some people collect T-shirts
I actually ride

Voyager 1700 owners...
WRAP your pipes....
You will be glad you did...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
U.S.A.F. Retired

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Nye County Nevada
Motor Officer Retired
Blue Knights Texas 43

Last edited by Bubba in TX; 04-28-2015 at 09:46 AM.
post #5 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 10:55 AM
BOTM Winner
April 2015

Most rigs on the hwy are company trucks which means that the engine speed is governed to about 65 mph more or less. When one of these rigs is passing another it takes a little longer. And don't get caught in an incline, the heavier rig's speed will drop dramatically.

"Chasing that first time riding feeling"

vn800
post #6 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 11:13 AM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Quote:

1) No. ptssss sound you hear is just air compressor reached the max pressure. If he slows down for you, perhaps he wants you to pass him quicker. But it is not a greeting.

2) No. It is very hard to see bike behind big rig. Just because you see his mirror doesn't mean he see you.

Company trucks are castrated at 65mph, some at 63mph. Owner Operator trucks, not leased to large corporations can do 90 or 100.

So you will se "Swift" going 65 passing JBHunt that is going 63.

Proven to be true. Anything else we have to take our chances with
post #7 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 12:33 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses. On being seen, I was in the passing lane, not behind the rig. Also it happens when I am cage driving. I drive 2-3 hours of interstate a day and it happens at least 3 times a day.

Two more Road Rules questions:

1. Why move over for incoming ramp traffic when the move slows down the passing lane.

2. When three lanes are converging to two (or two to one), is it fair game to travel down as far as you can before moving over?
post #8 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 12:43 PM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
1) be curious to others on the road, they may return the favor.

2) This only adds to congestion. Would be better if all merge smoothly before it is too late. But there is always an ace that tries to get in in last moment

Proven to be true. Anything else we have to take our chances with

Last edited by DonRumata; 04-28-2015 at 01:15 PM. Reason: typo
post #9 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 01:11 PM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2012 Kawasaki Nomad
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Red|Silver
Garage
Quote:
Two more Road Rules questions:

1. Why move over for incoming ramp traffic when the move slows down the passing lane.
Because people only care about themselves and not about how they impact others.

Quote:
2. When three lanes are converging to two (or two to one), is it fair game to travel down as far as you can before moving over?
No. This makes you a jerk. See the above answer though.

I grabbed a fistful of throttle and all my worries disappeared.
|| Former President | Vulcan Riders Association | Chapter 1-30 ||
|| 2012 Kawasaki Nomad | EJK Fuel Controller | Vance & Hines Twin Slash Cut | Thunder Manufacturing BAK ||
post #10 of 61 (permalink) Old 04-28-2015, 01:17 PM

I'd echo everything everyone else has said about the blow off valves. When the pressure gets a bit high in the air system, it blasts a little bit out to keep the pressure regulated. Nothing to worry about.

I do know that many companies/manufacturers have governors on their rigs too. I used to drive school and charter buses in college and whenever I'd go on an interstate trip, I'd literally drop my foot on the floor for hours on end and was bouncing off of the governor the whole trip while still being passed all the time. Hills didn't help either.

I generally generally move over just as a courteous gesture. Plus, it also reduces the risk of them running into me should they decide to not check their blind spot, or if there is an obstruction on a short entrance ramp like a bridge rail or something.

Technically yes, but I always want to lay down a spike strip for people who do that because they're ultimately cutting everyone else in line. That significantly worsens traffic jams too. If everyone waits until the last second to get in the correct lane, everyone will be stopped trying to squeeze into holes that just aren't there and everyone will be stuck. Conversely, if everyone would make the effort to file into the correct lane before absolutely necessary, there would be no bottle neck and traffic would flow much quicker and smoother when the lane ends.

'97 Vulcan 1500 Classic 88
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode