vaquero owners - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 10:17 PM Thread Starter

vaquero owners

Hello everybody i have been looking at the vaquero, cross country, & the road glide for my future bike and was just wondering the thoughts of the owners. What is the good and the bad? Would you choose the vaquero again? Are the side loading saddlebags a pain? Any response will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 11:24 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
Whadya wanna know?

I've ridden all three of those. Didn't like the styling of the cross country. It was a good ride though. The Road Glide was a really good bike, I enjoyed it a lot. But on the hot day I rode it my legs were just baked in traffic, very uncomfortable. I couldn't get used to the idle shake. And I felt the Vaqueros stereo was louder (but that's nothing a few mods can't fix on the Harley).

Find a dealer willing to test ride them and ride them. Or go to demo events. All good bikes. Personally, riding the Vaquero felt a bit more special to me. I liked it more. Again, the heat was an issue for the Harley, it's more expensive, and all of the consumer research reports out there suggest they are less reliable and more likely to require major repairs down the road. A killer deal came along on the Vaq and that kind of sealed the fate!

What I like:

Suspension is phenomenal (also, more travel than the Harley; maybe that's why I felt it was a nicer ride)
Strong brakes, ABS is nice
Stereo is good
Plenty of pep; a little throttle lag, but that's fixable with a mod
The dash and styling just put a smile on my face every time I ride it.
Cruise Control / etc. are great

Not so great:
Both Harley and Victory models had a better stock seat. But, for me, even those would've needed replacing. So it's moot. But the stock seat sucks.
Wish it had better options for iPhone connectivity. Newer Harley's have bluetooth, unsure what options Victory has. But the only option from Kawi is an outdated 30-pin adapter which requires ANOTHER adapter for the iPhone
Accessories are really steep (true of all three brands though). Sissy bar - $700, CB - $700 (+ headsets, etc.) It gets pricey.

Add Indian to your list, those are some cool bikes. Check those out.

If you wanna watch some idiot (me) ramble for 30 minutes about the Vaquero; here's a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMJAEwLZVCQ

That was with a couple hundred miles on it. Sort of a lengthy 'first impressions'

If you test ride one with less than 1,000 miles on it, keep in mind that it's a little shaky/vibraty (is that a word?). It's a bit rough. It smooths out a LOT as it breaks in.

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 11:25 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Also, look around for some '14 leftovers from Kawasaki. There's a bunch out there, cheap. $13~$15k is what they are often listed for. A little less at higher volume dealers. Mine was listed at $11,999 and ended up getting it for less than that. The last half of the video is "on the bike".

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Last edited by Romans5.8; 04-23-2015 at 11:29 PM.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-25-2015, 03:09 PM Thread Starter

Thank you roman that was good info just the type of stuff im lookin for. Not interested in the marketing fluff but more what kind of ride it is. Is it legit or just and imitation. Its 10k less than the road glide and about 3-5k less than the cross country. If it holds its own its worth it to get and customize to fit. On my classic when i have the shield on i get drug around by it like a sail. How is the fairing? Differences in fork vs frame mounted? Ive never rode a bike with fairing just a shield. I rode a road king b4 on a very windy stretch of busy highway and didnt get yanked around nearly as much.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-25-2015, 03:21 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stbike1700classic View Post
Thank you roman that was good info just the type of stuff im lookin for. Not interested in the marketing fluff but more what kind of ride it is. Is it legit or just and imitation. Its 10k less than the road glide and about 3-5k less than the cross country. If it holds its own its worth it to get and customize to fit. On my classic when i have the shield on i get drug around by it like a sail. How is the fairing? Differences in fork vs frame mounted? Ive never rode a bike with fairing just a shield. I rode a road king b4 on a very windy stretch of busy highway and didnt get yanked around nearly as much.
A frame mounted fairing essentially eliminates that getting "drug around like a sail" feeling. The proof of that was when my wife (riding her Honda Shadow) says "Wow! It's really windy! I'm recalling fighting this wind!" and my response was "....what wind?"

It also makes the steering pretty light. You effectively have bars and forks that aren't attached to anything but the steerer tube. The fairing is bolted onto the front of the frame on either side of the radiator.

Everyone is different, but having ridden both, I definitely prefer the frame mounted fairing. So that would point me towards the Road Glide or the Vaquero.

Ride both. But I found the Vaquero to be a better ride overall. And, it's a lot cheaper! Especially when you talk about the actual out the door price. What you'll actually end up paying when you actually buy the bike, versus sticker. Metrics sell, on average, a bit below sticker. Harley's sell, on average, a bit above. And plenty of us have picked up huge deals on Vulcans that you'd never get on a Harley. HOWEVER, they did post some dismal sales and just had a big recall, so if ever in the last couple of years would you get a great deal on a Harley, it would probably be now. But their touring bikes are their biggest sellers, believe it or not. Lots of demand for them. The dealers know it, so, frankly, they aren't willing to make you a deal.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-25-2015, 06:24 PM

Garage
I have never regretted buying the vaquero, to me it's the best one I tested, smooth a silk and nice comfy ride, love the stereo , I have an ipod hooked up and a Corbin seat add a 14" windshield and it's perfect.. Of course I added a lot of stuff, but I can't help it. You can't go wrong with all you get and for the price and deal I got , I couldn't pass it up.. and she is a head turner and has a lot of power... to me it's the best bike I ever owned..

JASON
2011 Black Vaquero
Ray's throttle mod kuryakyn grips
Aux driving lights
Ipod connector
Aux 12 volt outlet
Corbing young guns seat
Clarion xc1410 Amp
Infinity speakers
Rifle 14" dark sheild
FP combat 2-1 exhaust
EJK tuner Gen3
Kuryakyn bar weights
Chrome tank cover
Tornado air kit
Thunder throttle gasket
REAP THE WIRLWIND AND RIDE
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-26-2015, 06:25 AM

I am with Jase. I absolutely love my Vaquero. Picked it up Oct. 2014, I have 3500 miles on it so far. I put a few bucks in it to make it mine. But like you I was initially drawn to the Road Glide and the XCountry. The Harley was beautiful but I could not get past the 25k price tag. The salesperson kept trying to sell me the lifestyle. I could give a crap less about the approval of some fat guy on a Harley. The Victory is excellent but the sharp lines of the bike made it look like it was from the Jetsons. I was going for the flat black Vaquero that had everything I wanted at half the cost. Then saw the Vaquero SE, it was love at first sight. Bike rides like a dream. I added V&H exhaust and Mustang seat with driver a passenger backrest for long trips. Bike has power, handles better than my 1500 classic and all the comforts of a full touring bike. Turns heads at Harley Dealers, and everywhere else I go.

2004 Vulcan 1500 Classic "Sasha" (SOLD)
2014 Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE "Candie"
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-27-2015, 10:46 PM Thread Starter

Thank you all for the replies. If you have anymore info please feel free to tell us all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode