VN1700 popping and low throttle response - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 05:13 PM Thread Starter

Question VN1700 popping and low throttle response

Hi everyone. I am a new member and am learning a lot about vulcans here.
Just purchased a 2010 VN 1700 classic and was not super happy till I change the piper for VH ones.
With the VH pipes I add the Cobra Fi 2000r, but am not happy at all with the throttle response specially at low rpm (<2500) or with the popping. Have changed the setting so many times and noticing no difference at all.
I know a lot of people have the same question. Does the new (not so new) cobra powrpro is better, or dynojet power command with or without autotune?
Thanks everyone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 05:23 PM
Kap
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Everything is in the settings of the fuel controller. Even with the PowerPro you might have to adjust it (I had to set mine). Once the base adjustment is done it is "auto-tune).

I don't have a 2000r, so I can't help you, but hang in there I'm sure it can be worked out.

Kap

2010 Classic LT - Imperial Red & Metallic Titanium ("
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
")

Friends tell me I need to get in shape. Round is a shape, isn't it?
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 05:28 PM
BOTM Winner
May 2015

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kap View Post
Everything is in the settings of the fuel controller. Even with the PowerPro you might have to adjust it (I had to set mine). Once the base adjustment is done it is "auto-tune).

I don't have a 2000r, so I can't help you, but hang in there I'm sure it can be worked out.
You have the auto tune?? Like it?

"Steve"
2011 Vaquero
2008 900 Custom(Sold)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Dynojet PCV ,THUNDER MFG BAK,
VANCE & HINES PRO PIPE W/CUSTOM CERAMIC CT,
RacnRay's Throttle mod and Dyno tuned
AUX DRIVING LIGHT,BATTISTINI GRIPS AND PASS PEGS,THUNDER RAPTOR FLOORBOARDS,
STITCH ON TIME CUSTOM TEMPERPEDIC SADDLE
polk audio speakers, sound extreme amp

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 05:51 PM
Kap
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbg8r View Post
You have the auto tune?? Like it?
My Classic has an Cobra auto tune, the Voyager has a PCV. I don't have any issues with either of them, both seem to work fine. Note that I have very few miles on both bikes since the installs were done.

The PCV has a LOT more options/adjustments. The settings seem to make sense and were not hard to understand. The ignition version was easier to install than I expected. Quality is very good.

The Cobra PowerPro has almost no options (one small adjustment screw on the inside) and required some playing with to correct a small hesitation on light acceleration. Once adjusted, no issues.

Kap

2010 Classic LT - Imperial Red & Metallic Titanium ("
")

Friends tell me I need to get in shape. Round is a shape, isn't it?
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-23-2015, 09:27 PM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by grVN1700 View Post
Hi everyone. I am a new member and am learning a lot about vulcans here.
Just purchased a 2010 VN 1700 classic and was not super happy till I change the piper for VH ones.
With the VH pipes I add the Cobra Fi 2000r, but am not happy at all with the throttle response specially at low rpm (<2500) or with the popping. Have changed the setting so many times and noticing no difference at all.
I know a lot of people have the same question. Does the new (not so new) cobra powrpro is better, or dynojet power command with or without autotune?
Thanks everyone
Here You are, just what you need.
https://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/s...97&postcount=4

Shep
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-24-2015, 07:33 AM

I have the 09 Classic with baffles removed. Used the EJK controller. very adjustable, easy install. still saving for new pipes.
http://www.electronicjetkit.com/EJK-...scriptions.asp

2009 Classic LT 1700 avg 38mpg
Added factory cruise control
Converted to nomad exhaust
V&H Twin Slash Cut slipons
USA Trailer Store Fairing
HD Tour Pack
Avon Grips
Kuryakyn LongHorn Pegs
Mustang Wide Touring w/studs backrest
Throttle Body Gasket
Thunder Mfg OEM Cover BAK
Pipes wrapped
Ivans ECU Flash
Custom Trailer Hitch
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-24-2015, 12:37 PM

Check for exhaust leaks. If you have not done so already, you need to plug the PAIR valve hose that is located at the 11 o'clock position behind the rightside dog bowl throttle body cover. That hose sucks fresh air that is then injected into the exhaust system to burn any residual fuel, thus the popping out of the muffler. Sounds sort of like a backfire. Blocking the tube will not do any damage to the motor. It may eliminate or at least minimize any decel popping you may be hearing.

As far as the processor I have the EJK and I am very happy with its adjustability and the service I get from Dobeck Performance. I have little popping on decel. I am working with Dobeck on a custom map to eliminate it totally.

2004 Vulcan 1500 Classic "Sasha" (SOLD)
2014 Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE "Candie"

Last edited by hockeynut52; 04-24-2015 at 12:41 PM.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-26-2015, 05:25 AM

Recently added FPE 2into 1. Lots of decel pop. Bought the cobra fi2000 it was an epic failure. I hear some success stories but definately not my experience. The dealer returned the cobra unit and I got the PCV added a map fromDavid Sheek (oneof the members here) blocked the pair valve hose and the pop is pretty much gone. I get one occasionally but not often enough to consider a tweak.
Ride safe,
Jimmy D

Ride it like you rented it!
Jimmy D
1700 Classic
FP combat 2 into 1
PC V
Tsukayu jumbo hard strong
Cobra fatty hiway bars
Kury pegs
Grasshopper backrest
Bestem luggage rack
go cruise throttle lock
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-26-2015, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyd1 View Post
Recently added FPE 2into 1. Lots of decel pop. Bought the cobra fi2000 it was an epic failure. I hear some success stories but definately not my experience. The dealer returned the cobra unit and I got the PCV added a map fromDavid Sheek (oneof the members here) blocked the pair valve hose and the pop is pretty much gone. I get one occasionally but not often enough to consider a tweak.
Ride safe,
Jimmy D
Jimmy, which exhaust do you have?
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-26-2015, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeynut52 View Post
Check for exhaust leaks. If you have not done so already, you need to plug the PAIR valve hose that is located at the 11 o'clock position behind the rightside dog bowl throttle body cover. That hose sucks fresh air that is then injected into the exhaust system to burn any residual fuel, thus the popping out of the muffler. Sounds sort of like a backfire. Blocking the tube will not do any damage to the motor. It may eliminate or at least minimize any decel popping you may be hearing.

As far as the processor I have the EJK and I am very happy with its adjustability and the service I get from Dobeck Performance. I have little popping on decel. I am working with Dobeck on a custom map to eliminate it totally.
Thanks Hockeynut52
I just add a thunder air kit with stock cover. The kit comes with a red cap which does that. The performance has significantly improved, and I have less popping and backfiring, but still present.
What is really driving me nuts is the hesitation the bike has between 1000 and 3000 rpm. Seams to happen more after the bike is warm. Almost look like old carburetor been flooded.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode