Wheel Chock for Voyager 1700? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 03:13 PM Thread Starter

Wheel Chock for Voyager 1700?

I have to confess that I didn't know what a wheel chock was until today, so forgive my ignorance.

As a previous owner of a Voyager XII, I really miss the center stand for things like checking the oil, putting air in the tires or just washing the bike. So I'd like to find something inexpensive that will hold the bike upright for those tasks. I'm not planning to trailer the bike. I just want it upright in the driveway or garage.

Does anyone use a wheel chock for this purpose for the Voyager 1700? I see people using them for little 500 lbs. sport bikes, but wondered if there's one out there that would safely keep my 895 lbs. Voyager upgright for washing and maintenance.

Does any have any experience with these? Can you recommend one?

Thanks in advance.

2013 Vulcan Voyager 1700 ABS
Pearl Crystal White / Metallic Phantom Silver
Kawasaki iPod Adapter
Kawasaki Rear Speakers
Kuryakyn 4575 Highway Pegs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 04:29 PM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2012 Kawasaki Nomad
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Red|Silver
Garage
I got one from harbor freight for pretty cheap. Works great and is easy to use.

I grabbed a fistful of throttle and all my worries disappeared.
|| Former President | Vulcan Riders Association | Chapter 1-30 ||
|| 2012 Kawasaki Nomad | EJK Fuel Controller | Vance & Hines Twin Slash Cut | Thunder Manufacturing BAK ||
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

I saw them at Harbor Freight for $59.95 which is cheap. But just putting the front wheel of a 900 pound bike into that chock keeps it safely upright, no worries about it coming loose and hitting the pavement? I like it!

How do you keep the chock from moving forward when you try to put the tire in it, if it's not bolted down like in a trailer?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 06:45 PM

Garage
It's on sale for 39.99 right now. I have a lift but think I'm going to pick it up too. Maybe mount it to a 2x6 or something give it a bigger side to side foot print?

2010 voyager bone stock.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 10:40 PM

I have the Harbor Freight one for my VN2000 and is very sturdy. It took some trial and error to find the right setting.

It holds the wide tire well.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1429673976.228570.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	14.0 KB
ID:	111665
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 10:52 PM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2012 Kawasaki Nomad
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Red|Silver
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter56 View Post
I saw them at Harbor Freight for $59.95 which is cheap. But just putting the front wheel of a 900 pound bike into that chock keeps it safely upright, no worries about it coming loose and hitting the pavement? I like it!

How do you keep the chock from moving forward when you try to put the tire in it, if it's not bolted down like in a trailer?
I never had any problems. It was really sturdy. I had to put a ladder in between the wall and the chock to keep it from sliding forward. I tried everything else and that was the only thing that worked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murquiza View Post
I have the Harbor Freight one for my VN2000 and is very sturdy. It took some trial and error to find the right setting.

It holds the wide tire well.

Attachment 111665
I had it for my 2k and the only problem I ever had was getting the damn thing back out. My front tire was too wide and got jammed. I always had to remove the piece that was behind the wheel in order to get the bike out...

I grabbed a fistful of throttle and all my worries disappeared.
|| Former President | Vulcan Riders Association | Chapter 1-30 ||
|| 2012 Kawasaki Nomad | EJK Fuel Controller | Vance & Hines Twin Slash Cut | Thunder Manufacturing BAK ||
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayes View Post
I had it for my 2k and the only problem I ever had was getting the damn thing back out. My front tire was too wide and got jammed. I always had to remove the piece that was behind the wheel in order to get the bike out...
I had that issue and tinkered with the vertical support and found that the third hole from the back worked the best.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode