driver's backrest - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-18-2015, 08:49 PM Thread Starter

driver's backrest

Anyone put a driver's backrest on a 09 Vulcan Nomad? What brand? Where did you buy it? Is it adjustable? Cost?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-18-2015, 10:06 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
I put a factory back rest on that I bought used here for about half price $200. Very little adjustment about 1/2-3/4".

What defect/problem are you trying to correct with the back rest?

10 Voyager
01 1500 Drifter
VRA Central Alabama Chapter 1-61
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 06:49 AM Thread Starter

backrest

Thanks for the reply Tinker. I have owned 4 different Nomads through the years, I've had driver's backrest on all of them. I really enjoy the extra back support on long rides. I'm in the process of getting my first 1700, never seen one of these newer style Nomads with a driver's backrest. I knew there had to be availability, just wondering.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 10:04 AM
WEG

Hi HC

Take a look at Grasshopper... Simple design, some have said too flexible, but I don't have problem. Maybe folks on the large size??

Not adjustable i don't believe, easy installation bracket under seat, slip on and off, cost about $100, good company to deal with IMHO.

WEG
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 11:10 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillclimber View Post
Thanks for the reply Tinker. I have owned 4 different Nomads through the years, I've had driver's backrest on all of them. I really enjoy the extra back support on long rides. I'm in the process of getting my first 1700, never seen one of these newer style Nomads with a driver's backrest. I knew there had to be availability, just wondering.
Many have had issue with the stock seat so you may want to spend some time in the saddle before buying a backrest for it.

10 Voyager
01 1500 Drifter
VRA Central Alabama Chapter 1-61
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 12:23 PM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2015
Displacement/CC's: 103ci
Color: Black
Garage
My voyager came with what I believe to be the Grasshopper back rest. It is my first bike with a rest and I am still on the fence about liking it. I have tried it with and without and really can't tell much difference. Bike does have factory seat.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 12:51 PM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Those with the grasshopper backrest. Toss the Grasshopper pad, get a complete Utopia pillow top back rest and "attach" it to it. I like my backrest as low as it will go. My last 4 backrests all were utopia, but I do not like the mounting through the passenger seat methods as most have now for the newer motorcycles..

I tried a couple pads I had laying around before I went ahead and got another Utopia pad. The original Grasshopper pad is a joke. But the mounting system is very good.

Yes the Grasshopper is flimsy/flexible. But after having a dozen or so rigid mounted back rest, I like it better.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1831.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	111297

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1832.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	111305

Bubba in TX

2011 Voyager "Betty Clunker"

A bad day on a motorcycle is better than a good day in a car

Some people collect T-shirts
I actually ride

Voyager 1700 owners...
WRAP your pipes....
You will be glad you did...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
U.S.A.F. Retired

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Nye County Nevada
Motor Officer Retired
Blue Knights Texas 43
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 05:13 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
I have the grasshopper. It's dirt cheap. It works.

I bought a used Kawi gel seat (it's not any better than stock) and a grasshopper backrest. That's my very cheap solution before I get a Russell. Wife and I are headed on a cruise in June so I'm going to hold off the 4 digit purchases until after that But probably, when we get back, I'll send the stocker off to have the Russell made. (And in the meantime; the Kawi gel seat will work so I don't have to go without the bike!)

For the price it's not bad. The bracket is decent. The pad is "okay", but the utopia pad definitely looks a lot better. But it works for me. The Russell seat will have it's own backrest. So no sense investing too much now.

For me, once riding a bike with a backrest, I really can't go back. It just makes the bike so much more comfortable.

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT

Last edited by Romans5.8; 04-19-2015 at 05:37 PM.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 05:23 PM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2015
Displacement/CC's: 103ci
Color: Black
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romans5.8 View Post
I have the grasshopper. It's dirt cheap. It works.

I bought a used Kawi gel seat (it's not any better than stock) and a grasshopper backrest. That's my very cheap solution before I get a Russell. Wife and I are headed on a cruise in June so I'm going to hold off the 5 digit purchases until after that But probably, when we get back, I'll send the stocker off to have the Russell made. (And in the meantime; the Kawi gel seat will work so I don't have to go without the bike!)

For the price it's not bad. The bracket is decent. The pad is "okay", but the utopia pad definitely looks a lot better. But it works for me. The Russell seat will have it's own backrest. So no sense investing too much now.

For me, once riding a bike with a backrest, I really can't go back. It just makes the bike so much more comfortable.
Please, post pictures of this $10,000, seat when you get it, I have never seen one before!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-19-2015, 05:38 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit101 View Post
Please, post pictures of this $10,000, seat when you get it, I have never seen one before!
Good catch. I meant "4". The way I want it, the Russell is going to be about $1,200.

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode