LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-17-2015, 07:11 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2012 Kawasaki Nomad
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Red|Silver
Garage
New Nomad owner

I ride a lot. I like to spend a lot of time in the saddle, and I like a bike that is comfortable and reliable. Today, I traded the 2006 Vulcan 2000 for a 2012 Vulcan Nomad.

Some back story: I bought the VN2K in June of last year. I rode it for a month (Approx. 7000 miles) and it developed this weird 2nd gear issue. Turns out, the shift fork was bent, allowing 2nd gear to disengage under load. It made riding difficult, especially in the mountains here. Talked to a mechanic that comes highly recommend from a lot of people in the area. He gave me an estimate, based on my description of the problem (having never seen the bike – I don’t hold this against him) of $2,000. Yikes! I had just bought the VN2K, so I antied up and took it to him. After he got the bike torn down (Ma Kaw needs to think about repairs when they design an engine) he found a slew of parts that needed to be replaced. Things that could have been forgone but should be done if you have the entire friggin’ engine and trans apart. Total cost - $4300 bones.

I went back and forth on whether I should repair the bike, or take the loss. I decided to repair the bike. Took 6 weeks because of a backordered gasket. Whatever. Bike was repaired and I got to ride the bike again. I’ve put about 2-3000 miles since the repair. The bike is strong and runs good. I got a new seat and handlebars to make it more comfortable. Here’s the part I had a hard time with. In the back of my mind, I am always afraid the bike is going to break again. When I asked the mechanic how I can make sure the failure never happens again, he said “you can’t”. Basically, 2nd gear is weak in its design and I can ride soft, but it may happen again. I can’t afford another 4300 dollar repair.

So… I took a ride to the dealer earlier this week. They had a 2012 Nomad there, which had been there since September of last year. Very nice bike with 3100 miles. It was a bank repo, so I made an offer. They came back with fancy accounting, but basically accepting my deal with the trade of the VN2K. I have a 2 year all inclusive (mechanical/electrical) warranty, maintenance for 3 years (oil/everything in the owner’s manual), and 5 year tire and wheel coverage (2 free tires/1 free battery/ tire and wheel road hazard). Rolled out of the dealer for the short ride home this afternoon.

Thanks for listening to the ramblings of a deranged man.  Now to the part that you have all been waiting for – Pictures!!

These are the only pictures that I have right now. These are from the dealer. I will definitely get more pictures as the weather clears and I get to put some miles on her. I have a fairing that should mount without any problems, 10” bagger bars, and a few other miscellaneous odds and ends to install. Can’t wait to get a radio on it.

Notes about riding the Nomad. Incredibly easy to ride. Lightweight and comfortable. This is the first drive by wire and hydraulic clutch I have owned. The clutch takes some getting used to. You know that guy who takes off from the light and revs it really high before moving, and you think “LEARN TO DRIVE A CLUTCH YOU MORON!!!”? That was me…. Ha ha!! The engagement point isn’t what I am used to, so it takes me a moment to get moving. No worries. That’ll come with time in the saddle. The drive by wire is fine, nothing fancy, but there is some lag versus the direct connection. Nothing bad, again, just need to get used to it.

As for future plans, I want to get the V&H exhaust/tuner/intake. That about covers all the performance, just enough to wake her up. A new seat, throttle mod to take the slack out, different grips (the stock ones are just so tiny), that about covers it.

I grabbed a fistful of throttle and all my worries disappeared.
|| Former President | Vulcan Riders Association | Chapter 1-30 ||
|| 2012 Kawasaki Nomad | EJK Fuel Controller | Vance & Hines Twin Slash Cut | Thunder Manufacturing BAK ||
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-17-2015, 07:17 PM
BOTM Winner
May 2015

Garage
Looking good, I know you will sleep better now, or shall I say ride better now knowing it will make it!!! I like the two tone

"Steve"
2011 Vaquero
2008 900 Custom(Sold)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Dynojet PCV ,THUNDER MFG BAK,
VANCE & HINES PRO PIPE W/CUSTOM CERAMIC CT,
RacnRay's Throttle mod and Dyno tuned
AUX DRIVING LIGHT,BATTISTINI GRIPS AND PASS PEGS,THUNDER RAPTOR FLOORBOARDS,
STITCH ON TIME CUSTOM TEMPERPEDIC SADDLE
polk audio speakers, sound extreme amp
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-17-2015, 07:19 PM
BOTM Winner
May 2015

Garage
Yes, the smoothness/ friction zone, comes with riding!! always funn though

"Steve"
2011 Vaquero
2008 900 Custom(Sold)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-17-2015, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbg8r View Post
Looking good, I know you will sleep better now, or shall I say ride better now knowing it will make it!!! I like the two tone
Quote:
Yes, the smoothness/ friction zone, comes with riding!! always funn though
Thanks! Temp tags and the...unneccesary revving on take off... make me sound like a friggin' noob. I was getting better at it when I got home. I'm sure one good, long ride will take care of it!

I really dig the color too. I'm not usually a fan of red, but this isn't too bad. Very nice combo.

I forgot to mention that I want to get a Voyager trunk on the back. I don't want aftermarket... Anyone know where I can locate one? (I am in no hurry).

|| 2012 Kawasaki Nomad | EJK Fuel Controller | Vance & Hines Twin Slash Cut | Thunder Manufacturing BAK ||
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-17-2015, 08:11 PM
BOTM Winner
May 2015

Garage
mines all red... I am wanting to do something to to it, but I don't want black.. I am liking the contrast of the pewter..

"Steve"
2011 Vaquero
2008 900 Custom(Sold)

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-17-2015, 08:12 PM
BOTM Winner
May 2015

Garage
I'm liking your sissy bar too.. that's MY next biggest expense

"Steve"
2011 Vaquero
2008 900 Custom(Sold)

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-17-2015, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Quote:
mines all red... I am wanting to do something to to it, but I don't want black.. I am liking the contrast of the pewter..
I know what you mean. I actually hate chrome, but it's too hard to change it all to black. In the end, I leave it alone. I would much rather black or powder coat all the chrome stuff.

Quote:
I'm liking your sissy bar too.. that's MY next biggest expense
I have to have a sissy bar. Gotta have a backrest for the ladies (if I ever get another one... ). I refuse to have a passenger without one.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-18-2015, 09:10 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Color: Orange SE
Garage
Good looking' machine!

That hydraulic clutch is nice isn't it? Makes cable clutches seem really primitive.

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-18-2015, 09:39 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romans5.8 View Post
Good looking' machine!

That hydraulic clutch is nice isn't it? Makes cable clutches seem really primitive.
I was talking to a friend about the clutch and said "Its engagement point is so much further out, not like the engagement of the old style cable" Like it had been millennia since they were used... I've put 8 miles on the bike and I am already forgetting about cable clutches. ha ha

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-18-2015, 03:21 PM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2013 Voyager
Color: Blue/Black
Really nice looking bike. Enjoy.

Kawasaki rear speakers
VN 1500 Kickstand
Ipod adapter
Kuryakyn Longhorn Offset Highway Pegs
Garmin 390LM w/TPMS
Sponsored Links