gel seat - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-08-2015, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
Premium Member

Garage
gel seat

has anyone tried Kawasaki pillow top gel seat > is it better than stock and worth the money, I found one for 130 thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-08-2015, 04:43 PM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Yes, yes and yes......................... almost 50k miles on them...

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1812.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	109242

Bubba in TX

2011 Voyager "Betty Clunker"

A bad day on a motorcycle is better than a good day in a car

Some people collect T-shirts
I actually ride

Voyager 1700 owners...
WRAP your pipes....
You will be glad you did...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
U.S.A.F. Retired

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Nye County Nevada
Motor Officer Retired
Blue Knights Texas 43

Last edited by Bubba in TX; 04-08-2015 at 04:51 PM.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-08-2015, 05:35 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
Wow if they can be had that cheap I'd be willing to give it a try!

Does anyone know if they are compatible with the Vaquero (are Vaq/Voyager seats intercompatible?) and does it work with the grasshopper backrest?

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-08-2015, 05:51 PM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
I use the grasshopper base with a utopia pad.... I could not stand that grasshopper pad..... it went in the trash...

Seems like I paid about $110 for each of my seats and extra large passenger back rest on Ebay. But that was 3 years ago... almost 4 (july will be 4) Maybe the passenger seat was 90 bucks.... I don't remember.

Bubba in TX

2011 Voyager "Betty Clunker"

A bad day on a motorcycle is better than a good day in a car

Some people collect T-shirts
I actually ride

Voyager 1700 owners...
WRAP your pipes....
You will be glad you did...

U.S.A.F. Retired

Nye County Nevada
Motor Officer Retired
Blue Knights Texas 43

Last edited by Bubba in TX; 04-08-2015 at 05:54 PM.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-10-2015, 07:07 AM

have 2011 nomad put seat and back rest on in the first 500 ml, just put my second seat on last winter at 20,000 ml, back rest still good. seat is bigger and firmer for a nicer ride. 6'2"- 285 lbs 130.00 cheap for what you get, payed over 600.00 to custom a seat and this seat is better. back rest priced high but worth it on long days, saves your back on starts and stops it also folds down for easy on and off.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-10-2015, 09:20 AM

Have one, better than stock
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-10-2015, 09:47 AM
Lifetime Premium

Year/Make/Model: 2015
Displacement/CC's: 103ci
Color: Black
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewr View Post
has anyone tried Kawasaki pillow top gel seat > is it better than stock and worth the money, I found one for 130 thanks
Please share where you found it for that amount. I found the same (rider only seat), on e-bay for $153.00 including shipping.

Does anyone know if they are compatible with the Vaquero (are Vaq/Voyager seats intercompatible?) and does it work with the grasshopper backrest?

A check of Part numbers on the Mustang seat web site shows the Voyager & Vaquero to be different.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-10-2015, 10:04 AM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit101 View Post
Please share where you found it for that amount. I found the same (rider only seat), on e-bay for $153.00 including shipping.

A check of Part numbers on the Mustang seat web site shows the Voyager & Vaquero to be different.
I had to do some googling and apparently the brackets are different and the seats don't line up; they don't work. Evidently some have tried (i.e., bought Nomad/Voyager seats) and were not able to make them work. Wish I had one to play around with. It's a similar deal with the 900 Classic/LT and Custom, but a few washers will get a Classic/LT seat onto a Custom. But it sounds like there are enough differences the two are incompatible.

There is a (non-pillow) gel seat available for the Vaq. It looks a little wider than the stocker in the pillion but otherwise the same. I don't expect it to be any better but I'll let you all know. The real motivation for buying it was that it's cheaper than another stock seat and then I'll have something to ride while I send the stocker over the Russell for the "day-long" treatment. I did e-mail Russell and they told me that they could incorporate compatibility with a grasshopper backrest. But, honestly, I think I'll just get their backrest. The grasshopper isn't great, and it pushes you forward a bit. It's better than nothing though!

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-10-2015, 10:14 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
For those that have it, does it change your seating position any? Higher, lower, forward or back? Does it increase the reach to the ground?

2005 800 classic
2012 Voyager ABS
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-10-2015, 10:43 AM

I have both front and rear Voyager/Nomad pillow top gel seats and the Vaquero gel seat. The Voyager seats both sit about an inch higher than stock, mainly because they are much firmer. The pillow top seats have buttons to hold the cover in place, creating depressions in the top of the seat that hold water, and eventually rots the cover. After 3 years and 150k miles both my covers were toast, cracked and torn at the buttons, so I removed the covers from my stock seats and used them to re-cover the pillow tops and that works great, over 200k and the cushions are still firm. Whoever dreamed up the idea to make a motorcycle seat with buttons and depressions that hold water should be shot!
I use the Vaquero seat for solo riding, it fits directly onto the Voyager by simply adding a couple spacers under the latch plate. It sits a bit lower and further back to give me more legroom.
To fit the Voyager dual seats to a Vaquero you will need the catch to bolt to the rear fender, the latch plate for the rear seat, and the bracket and grommets for the front seat. The rear seat will sit about 1/8 inch higher due to the design of the latch mechanism.

Garry

2009 Voyager ABS:
Sold at 679,465 kms
Improve handling, suspension and tire life
with Garry's Fork Brace.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode