Half Helmet Communications Kit - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-01-2015, 10:12 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Half Helmet Communications Kit

Has anyone found a half helmet communications set up that works well with the Kawasaki CB/ Intercom? I know J&M has some stuff, but I'm looking for something similar to the half helmet set Harley has.

Blue Knights AL III - V.P.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-02-2015, 05:06 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
Why not just wear a real helmet? Those half helmets aren't going to do anything for you if you wreck. Facial and oral surgery is very expensive.

My wife and I wear modular helmets. We had tried half helmets and our eyes watered too much. Then we saw the results of someone kissing the windshield in a fender bender. It wasn't pretty.

The Kawasaki system works great in our helmets.

2010 Vulcan Voyager 1700 ABS, 2007 Vulcan Mean Streak 1600
2012 Concours 1400, 2011 Versys 650, 2012 KLX250S

see my garage for list of accessories
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-02-2015, 06:09 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
http://www.jmcorp.com/ProductDetail....IHI787-HHU-XHO

Looks like that J&M setup will do the trick and is compatible with the Kawasaki system.

They also have a cheaper version: http://www.jmcorp.com/ProductDetail....-CD9279-BMU-HO

Both Harley-Davidson and Kawasaki intercom systems are 7 pin. Are they similar, or compatible? Has anyone ever tried? I'm just curious. If you can run H-D setups then that opens up a lot of doors.

I've never used those J&M setups (I wear a full face); but folks who have seem to like them!

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 07:45 AM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Quote:
Why not just wear a real helmet? Those half helmets aren't going to do anything for you if you wreck. Facial and oral surgery is very expensive.
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.... freedom of choice perhaps? I am assuming you mean a full face helmet. I have investigated scooter crashes where those did no good either. Along with crashes where the head was not touched but other serious injuries occurred. Along with very bad crashes where noe one was hurt. But a lot where people did not make it.

For the half helmet/3/4, or full I have tried several brands but J&M always is the best even though they cost more. I have used HD headsets on a Yamaha, they basically all wire up the same. Not pin wise or wire color wise but the circuit is the same. left/right speaker... mic...

Bubba in TX

2011 Voyager "Betty Clunker"

A bad day on a motorcycle is better than a good day in a car

Some people collect T-shirts
I actually ride

Voyager 1700 owners...
WRAP your pipes....
You will be glad you did...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
U.S.A.F. Retired

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Nye County Nevada
Motor Officer Retired
Blue Knights Texas 43

Last edited by Bubba in TX; 04-03-2015 at 07:50 AM.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 08:58 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba in TX View Post
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.... freedom of choice perhaps? I am assuming you mean a full face helmet. I have investigated scooter crashes where those did no good either. Along with crashes where the head was not touched but other serious injuries occurred. Along with very bad crashes where noe one was hurt. But a lot where people did not make it.

For the half helmet/3/4, or full I have tried several brands but J&M always is the best even though they cost more. I have used HD headsets on a Yamaha, they basically all wire up the same. Not pin wise or wire color wise but the circuit is the same. left/right speaker... mic...
So did you wire up your own connections? That's neat if so, because that opens the door to more stuff.

Do you know of any way to adapt a J&M headset to the 3-gang 3.5mm plug that my bluetooth headset uses? (It's a single 3.5mm jack that carries audio and mic signal; just like most smartphones). Reason being I'd love to have a single headset compatible with both the vaquero (when we're both on the vaq) and the bluetooth headsets (when we're on two bikes)

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 10:19 AM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
Quote:
So did you wire up your own connections?
Yes

Quote:
Do you know of any way to adapt a J&M headset to the 3-gang 3.5mm plug that my bluetooth headset uses?
Off the top of my head... all you need is wiring schematic or pin out chart or info, and a plug. The speakers shouldn't be an issue, but the mic is generally the hard part to get around when there is a problem.

But I see no reason it can be done. The only issue you may have is the impedance requirements for the mic and speakers. But it would not stop me from doing it.

Agood Google search should find that information.

Bubba in TX

I actually ride

Voyager 1700 owners...
WRAP your pipes....

U.S.A.F. Retired

Nye County Nevada
Motor Officer Retired
Blue Knights Texas 43
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 10:30 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
Thanks! I've done a little googling but I'm definitely a little over my head on that stuff. I was hoping there was an off-the-shelf solution out there but there isn't (That I've found). Plenty that will hook up your system to headphones, but not that will include the mic feed. And that's what I'm wanting. One headset that'll work on the vaq or on the BT headset.

One consideration was a CB on the wifes bike, but that got vetoed real quick. It's an expensive solution but besides that, she didn't want an ugly J&M CB module hanging off of the handlebars.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 10:42 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
Quote:

I believe in freedom of choice, but I also find it funny when folks will go to extreme lengths to justify not wearing a full face helmet. I respect the rider who says I don't wear one because I just don't want to regardless of any study or empirical evidence.

I laugh at the guys who bundle up in the cool weather with all kinds of masks, but no helmet, or beanie for protection.

The guys with sunburned faces and raccoon eyes.

Bug splatter on their faces, and dust in their eyes. Yeah, sure looks like they are comfortable.

What lengths someone will go to to look cool is pretty funny.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 10:45 AM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
The wife and I have used intercoms/cb's for years on our scoots. We decided on this last batch not to do it any more.... we can still communicate the old fashion way. Hand signals. After 44 years, I really do not want to talk to her all the time anymore....

Bubba in TX

I actually ride

Voyager 1700 owners...
WRAP your pipes....

U.S.A.F. Retired

Nye County Nevada
Motor Officer Retired
Blue Knights Texas 43
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 11:24 AM
Top Contributor

Garage
Quote:
The wife and I have used intercoms/cb's for years on our scoots. We decided on this last batch not to do it any more.... we can still communicate the old fashion way. Hand signals. After 44 years, I really do not want to talk to her all the time anymore....
Ha. Well it's not for everyone I guess. We use them most of the time, and it's nice. For the practical reasons, we know when each other wants to stop without needing hand signals. And we can talk about WHERE we wanna stop without needing to stop.

But, not to get all mushy, but I DO like to talk to my wife Guess you'll have to ask me again in 44 years but I enjoy chatting with her on a long ride. One advantage though of our bluetooth systems is that they also play music. And either one of us can press a button switching both back to voice. So we can cruise along listening to music, and if we need to say something, just push a button and a second or two later we're 'connected' again.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode