spare parts? common breaking items?? - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-01-2015, 07:21 PM Thread Starter

spare parts? common breaking items??

I'm a huge fan of self reliance. i often carry common break parts, the sporty i carried clutch cable, throttle repair kit, plugs, light bulb, oil, fuses, spare hardware. -all things that i've broken on the road

nothing sucks more than being stranded and AAA doesn't always get the phone call.

so what do you guys carry?

current bikes:
2014 Vaquero
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 hardly-a-sporster 1400 (yes 1400), streched/raked, getting turbo'd, and huyabusa forks
1979 xs650 chopper -built not bought
1978 xs750 frankenbike
2007 ninja ex250r getting naked
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-01-2015, 07:48 PM

I owned my Vaquero for 3 years and the only thing I carried was myself, never had a problem.

2014 Honda Gold Wing
2011 Vaquero sold
2009 900lt sold
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-01-2015, 08:53 PM
wocka, wocka, wocka

Quote:
Originally Posted by jborushko View Post
I'm a huge fan of self reliance. i often carry common break parts, the sporty i carried clutch cable, throttle repair kit, plugs, light bulb, oil, fuses, spare hardware. -all things that i've broken on the road nothing sucks more than being stranded and AAA doesn't always get the phone call.

so what do you guys carry?
jb, could have sworn you had a list of bikes in yor sig line.. but seems to have disappeared?.. from that list I read, included some old american iron, i would understand yor fear of be stranded alone in the boonies..
but with the vaq you have escaped the sixties and seventies american krapsmanship.. no longer are you / should you be burdened with carrying a rolling garage of parts n tools just to make the next town.. these,, ahem, 4in machines are bilt to iso9001 standards that actually perform for the life of the machine. and if you do minimal maintenace (oil, filter, tires, brakes, rare adjustment) they pretty much would last all your lifetime and maybe a few others..

so to answer yor question; I carry my cell phone and a credit card. the rest is just the gear I wear. travel lite is travel rite. ponchout
ps. i do pack heat, but thats not for the bike.

Last edited by Poncho Villa; 04-01-2015 at 08:55 PM.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-01-2015, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

well sounds like i can keep my kit lighter. but generally putting down 15-25k a year, things tend to fall off or break some some point. i'e got endless stories of road side breaks and fixes

lol on my 78, i had to carry a full carb kit with me with special carb tools, incase i needed to rebuild a carb or adjust jetting coming out of the mountains!

this is my first "stock" bike as well as my first bike with all this computer stuff... idk i fear electronics breaking down on the road. maybe i can find a pocket oscilloscope! seems to me when you carry whatever item you wont actually need to use it.

the bright side is that things should be less prone to breakage as the bike doesn't vibrate like a paintshaker, strapped to a bucking bull, inside a wind storm - like my sporty

so my list sits at: fuses, spark plugs, light bubs, tire kit, and oil.

current bikes:
2014 Vaquero
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 hardly-a-sporster 1400 (yes 1400), streched/raked, getting turbo'd, and huyabusa forks
1978 xs750 frankenbike

Last edited by jborushko; 04-01-2015 at 09:29 PM.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-02-2015, 12:23 PM
wocka, wocka, wocka

Quote:
Originally Posted by jborushko View Post
well sounds like i can keep my kit lighter. so my list sits at: fuses, spark plugs, light bubs, tire kit, and oil.
jb, 25k/yr is childs play on these new riggs. butt only time n miles will lern u that. do basic maint. u will not have those previous stories to tell. u will have new ones. and they wont be about side road maint..
the bike already has spare fuses in its compartment. most new lites are halogen, hid or led. spare bulbs? you got cast wheels w/tubeless tires (i hope) spokes are for show not go. if u should happen to pik up a stray nail = slo leak. either leave it or plug it. a can of tire inflater w/sealant is all you need. oil? these bike motors dont leak or burn it.. why would u carry oil?
use yor new found extra carrying capacity to bring back memories and gifts for the ones you left at home. something to do with all the money u didnt spend on all that xtra krap. poncho

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-02-2015, 12:54 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
I've used my plug kit once.

Other than that, I keep a $20 in my jacket, in case something happens to my wallet; a cell phone and a credit card.
But haven't had to use any of those in 35k miles on the VV.

If you've just gotta carry something for an emergency; get a first aid kit.

Scott

2012 Voyager 1700 ---SOLD
Pearl Alpine White/Pearl Luster Beige
Nice

2011 Rocket III Touring
Phantom Black
Naughty

2016 Indian Roadmaster
Thunder Black

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-02-2015, 01:43 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
I ride 15k a year also. My tires are tubed tires on spoke wheels so I've resolved that I'm simply NOT going to be making a roadside flat repair. Cellphone/credit card is the solution there. It can be done with a tube, but it's very complicated, involved, and just not what I'm going to do on the side of the road. A plug kit is a good idea on a solid (non spoke) rim with tubeless tires. (By the way, my 900 uses tubeless tires, WITH a tube in them!)

In addition to a credit card and cellphone I carry 2 or 3 small, plastic, disposable rain ponchos. A particular brand I found that DOESN'T flap around in the wind. I also carry rain gear, a small change of clothes (gym shorts and a t-shirt). That all goes in a small bag in one saddlebag. It's there in case the weather gets really bad, or I get stranded. I don't use the plastic ponchos, those are for traveling companions. I've probably given a dozen away, and always keep a few. They are like 2 bucks a pop and work really well.

In the other saddlebag, I carry a small multi-tool, an extra knife, some zip-ties, some elastic and rubber straps, and that's it. Whatever I can't fix with that can get fixed at the nearest shop. That still leaves plenty of room for clothes, laptop, camera, you name it. I know punch likes to travel light; but I take everything I want Plenty of storage if packed well. On a long, multi-day trip, I also take along a 'mechanics socket set' I have, Crafstman brand, that is a single wrench, extension, and a full range of sockets. If I was really minimalist I could just pick out the sockets my bike uses and put it all in a bag, but that works. I can make larger repairs there too. I've never used it on my own bike, but used it once on a friends. He had a Dyna at the time (an Ultra Classic now) and his shifter just came apart in tons of little pieces going down the road, it was weird. We pulled into a gas station and I used sockets, a knife, and zip ties (and the help of two other friends) to get him a semblance of a shifter to get us home. We were almost home anyway. He just had to shift a few times to get on the highway, and a few times when getting off. (We had a nice twisty last-leg home planned. But, we're good enough friends to suffer the interstate for him! Ha!)

I'm with you on being prepared but as to carrying spare parts? I don't think so. Tools, sure, spare parts, nah. A spare bulb seems reasonable but they rarely fail, honestly. Generally only one side (high or low) is going to fail. Your vaquero doesn't really have any cables. There's a small throttle cable that goes to an electronic throttle system, without much tension. But the clutch and brakes are hydraulic. There really isn't anything that's common enough to warrant carrying.

Oh, and like Scott said, first aid kids come in handy! I keep one of those on my bike too. So far (thankfully) I've only used it for minor "roadside repairs" off the bike. Insect stings, small cuts, etc. Stuff I got out and about, nothing on the bike!

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-02-2015, 04:53 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
In 150,000 miles in the last 6 years nothing across various Kawasaki bikes has fallen off. I did fall victim to the ignition wire rubbing through under the tank. (See sticky at the top of the 1700 section). I could have fixed it roadside, but the good Samaritan and ROK membership took care of me.

2010 Vulcan Voyager 1700 ABS, 2007 Vulcan Mean Streak 1600
2012 Concours 1400, 2011 Versys 650, 2012 KLX250S

see my garage for list of accessories
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-02-2015, 05:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho Villa View Post
jb, 25k/yr is childs play on these new riggs. butt only time n miles will lern u that. do basic maint. u will not have those previous stories to tell. u will have new ones. and they wont be about side road maint..
the bike already has spare fuses in its compartment. most new lites are halogen, hid or led. spare bulbs? you got cast wheels w/tubeless tires (i hope) spokes are for show not go. if u should happen to pik up a stray nail = slo leak. either leave it or plug it. a can of tire inflater w/sealant is all you need. oil? these bike motors dont leak or burn it.. why would u carry oil?
use yor new found extra carrying capacity to bring back memories and gifts for the ones you left at home. something to do with all the money u didnt spend on all that xtra krap. poncho
when you need it and dont have it, you'll sing a differnt tune.

i've been riding for nearly 20 years, have half a million miles in a saddle- ill carry oil.

good to know that these are more reliable, as that was the whole point in buying a new bike RELIABLILITY

current bikes:
2014 Vaquero

1978 xs750 frankenbike
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-02-2015, 06:02 PM
Top Contributor

Year/Make/Model: 2014 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero ABS SE
Displacement/CC's: 1700
Color: Orange SE
Garage
These modern engines are built to way higher tolerances with much better machining than older engines. They don't use or leak oil. If you wanna take it with you, by all means, go right ahead! But I seriously can't imagine you'd need it.

Heck, haul a trailer with a spare motor and transmission, three tires, an extra pair of wheels. I mean you'll definitely never be stranded too long! We're just saying that, what you'll find on your new Vaquero is fundamentally different than what you experienced with your old bikes. Half a million miles, sure. But not half a million miles on these bikes. My Vulcan has never used any oil, and I'd be really, really surprised if anyones did unless it had some damage or some serious (200k+) mileage on it. Your Vaquero has an extra set of piston rings over older 1700's, to boot!

"8 But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Romans 5:8 (NIV)

2014 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Vaquero ABS SE
iPod Connector Kit, Kuryakyn Highway Pegs, Mustang Touring Seat, Marvella's Hitch, Kuryakyn Trailer Wiring Kit, Haul-Master Tag-a-Long Cargo Trailer

2011 Honda Shadow Aero 750 (Wife's)

Memphis shades quick-release windshield, OEM Solo Seat, Mustang Fender Bib, Chrome Solo Luggage Rack

Past: 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode