Question about luggage racks and Long distance - Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-01-2015, 05:05 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Question about luggage racks and Long distance

So I have a new to me 2010 Voyager and wife and I are thinking about a week-long trip into Georgia mountains and then up to NC to see family then back to FL. I know if it were just me there is plenty of room for a weeks worth of clothes and needs but for 2 I am not sure. I thought about a luggage rack on trunk and then a bag strapped to add more space but wonder how much can you really carry there? I know most say 20lb limit but is that able to be pushed at all or does that really put too much strain on the trunk lid. I have a Kuryakyn full dresser bag that use to go on old bike but that could be a little too big, not sure.

So, to those much more experienced at week long trips 2 up, how do you pack? What are you using for added luggage and racks? What works and what did not work for folks.

Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once in a while you could miss it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-01-2015, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodapop View Post
...So, to those much more experienced at week long trips 2 up, how do you pack? What are you using for added luggage and racks? What works and what did not work for folks.
havent packed the vulcan yet, but generally i only take 3 days cloths and prepair to do laundry at the hotel or at truck stops if in my doing hotels. i''ve packed my miltary C-bag with tent, sleeping pad. then back pack for clothes and personals, and messanger bag for club material, then the saddle bags where full of gas cans, oil, tools, weather gear, blah blah blah all on a Sportster.

basically pack light on cloths and just do laundry. learn to pack it tight, but i've done month long trips (on the sporty) with only 3 or 4 sets of clothes

if you have a trunk i'd think it would be way way easy

current bikes:
2014 Vaquero
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 hardly-a-sporster 1400 (yes 1400), streched/raked, getting turbo'd, and huyabusa forks
1979 xs650 chopper -built not bought
1978 xs750 frankenbike
2007 ninja ex250r getting naked
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-01-2015, 06:51 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jborushko View Post
if you have a trunk i'd think it would be way way easy
Have the trunk and 2 hard bags and going to add a tour rack to trunk and probably add a bag on there packed lightly. Since we will basically have 3 climate changes going to have to carry cool and warm weather riding gear plus clothes. Washing wont be an issue on Days 4,5,6 (staying with family) and last 2 days will just be heading home so with all clothes cleaned before departing final leg should be fine. Thinking I will have small set of tools and emergency roadside stuff, jackets and gloves, rain gear and then Clothes. Traveling with the Mrs she is already talking about an extra pair of shoes so we are going to have to have some space discussions

Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once in a while you could miss it.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-01-2015, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodapop View Post
Since we will basically have 3 climate changes going to have to carry cool and warm weather riding gear plus clothes.
i do Washington to everywhere else so yeah i know the climate change situation. buy layering is key, wear more light layers then you dont have to carry both heavy and light. i like cooler though, so a tshirt, hoody, leather coat (summer weight), and cut keep ME plenty warm in below freezing.

Florida to Georgia? so from hot to warm shouldn't be a big deal, and rain gear can be packed small if you have the right stuff

look up different packing tecniques for backpacking on youtube. get the most use out of the space avail... and hell if its shoes, just tie em to the carrier let them dangle in the wind. bungy straps and nets are great

current bikes:
2014 Vaquero
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 hardly-a-sporster 1400 (yes 1400), streched/raked, getting turbo'd, and huyabusa forks
1979 xs650 chopper -built not bought
1978 xs750 frankenbike
2007 ninja ex250r getting naked
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-01-2015, 07:24 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jborushko View Post
Florida to Georgia? so from hot to warm shouldn't be a big deal
I am sure it wont be too bad but not sure how cool it will be up in the mountains in the mornings. But then again it will be mid June so.......

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-01-2015, 09:48 PM
Lifetime Premium

Garage
I have to say that the trunk lid on my 2011 Voyager IS the flimsiest I have ever had.
Saying that, when I have my trunk bag on, with everything in it,, it probably weighs over 25 pounds. I even have the rack double reienforced with metal (chrome) runners under the legs, and underneath inside the trunk.

That makes the rack itself very strong and durable. Unfortunately for the Voyager trunk, my rack install is much stronger than what I feel the trunk lid can actually handle.

I also have TWO lid cables instead of the stock one, with a nylon back up.

With my trunk bag on, should that single cable ever break, when the lid flops over it would rip the trunk lid right off at the hinges and break the lower part of the trunk. I also plan to reinforce the hinge side of the trunk wall on the hinge side with aluminum strips....

My last scoot was a Venture. The trunk opened from the back. I replaced the cheesy stock lid prop mechanism with two gas struts and custom brackets I made. I have been thinking of adapting two gas struts to the Voyager lid, which will also reinforce the hing area. But like I said, the Voyager trun and lid material is a lot thinner and a LOT flimsier.

Bubba in TX

2011 Voyager "Betty Clunker"

A bad day on a motorcycle is better than a good day in a car

Some people collect T-shirts
I actually ride

Voyager 1700 owners...
WRAP your pipes....
You will be glad you did...

U.S.A.F. Retired

Nye County Nevada
Motor Officer Retired
Blue Knights Texas 43
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-01-2015, 10:42 PM
Peg
Top Contributor

Garage
The Venture rack is touted on most forums as the best. Reinforcement straps above and below spread the load across a wider area than just the four mounting points.

Mine is a copy of a Venture rack, which I found on Fleabay. The finish & chrome probably isn't as nice as the real thing, but it came without the Yamaha emblem on it.

I've heard of them being loaded up with heavy roll bags without issue... But I usually limit the load on mine to a couple of pairs of over pants, and a bike cover.

Don't ever use any loctite type chemicals on the bolts around the trunk or bags. The plastic is allergic to it, and will crumble into pieces fairly quickly.

Paul (Peg) Elliott
New Plymouth, NZ. '10 Voyager 1700
'02 Nomad 1500(sold) '97 VN800B (sold)
2 Honda's, 2 Suzuki's, 1 Yamaha (all dead)
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-02-2015, 12:40 AM
Banned

Hauling Steaks

If these guys can haul a whole beef on the back of this little bike I am sure your large one would have no problem with more then 20 pounds on the back of it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Haulin the Beef.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	108034  
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-02-2015, 05:00 PM
Top Contributor

Garage
I only put our rain gear and bike cover in the rack bag with some snacks and my windshield cleaner in the pockets. 2 pair of riding pants, 2 t-shirts, some socks and underwear should get you through a week easy.

I have done a cargo rack in the receiver to carry a cooler.

2010 Vulcan Voyager 1700 ABS, 2007 Vulcan Mean Streak 1600
2012 Concours 1400, 2011 Versys 650, 2012 KLX250S

see my garage for list of accessories
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-02-2015, 11:02 PM

Garage
ditto on the "backpacking" gear. find the lightness, leanest stuff. we recently downsized from a queen air mattress and foot pump to two single blowup pads. amazing what goes on sale after Christmas.
the camp stove is a naptha backpacker that boils water in 2-3 minutes for coffee/granola/soup.
plus tent. so not lotsa room for extra clothes. one pair shoes each. swimsuit. camp gear in saddlebags, clothes in trunk.
another forum lister suggested taking yer old undies and discarding along the way.
raingear on trunk rack.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode